Grammar Corner

kskboys

Reaction score
Language changes w/ use over time. Always been that way.

I'm really out of the loop, I didn't even know "ratchet" was being used in that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't too long ago that "hell" was a major cussword that was not used around ladies.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's fine. I'm not good with sweeping generalizations (in this case, of millenials) based on wrong perceptions of things.

What if I said you were ignorant because of the way you use an ampersand, b/c that's not really how it works? That is what's happening here.
I didn't say all millennials are ignorant. I said the misuse and eventual slang use of the word ratchet was due to an ignorant someone mispronouncing the word wretched and others following suit.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
and since I'm sure I'll need to clarify further; the ignorant someone is not the Southerner, but the person without the Southern accent, who repeated it as the Southerner said it.

Xelda

Reaction score
Okay, I Googled it ...

Ratchet (slang) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratchet_(slang)
Ratchet is a slang term in hip hop that in its original sense referred to an uncouth woman, and is a Louisianan regiolect version of the word "wretched". The term has since been extended to have broader meanings and connotations and is no longer strictly bound by race or gender. The term gained popularity in 2012 through music artists and celebrities.

I'm honestly not looking for a fight. I've lived in Louisiana 99% of my life and am familiar with the word ratchet. I've never heard it used in place of wretched. We keep ratchets in our tool boxes.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That's fine. I'm not good with sweeping generalizations (in this case, of millenials) based on wrong perceptions of things.

What if I said you were ignorant because of the way you use an ampersand, b/c that's not really how it works? That is what's happening here.
I Copy on that bro! And about my misuse of the "&" due to my ignorance ( not knowing,, AND/OR,,,blissfully unaware) ? I would continue on in the fashion that pleased me in deploying it as I saw fitting in it's use,,,but that's just a quirky aspect of the learned behavior of mine,,, but,,, no one wants to remain & stay uneducated to " things" that would be deemed common knowledge to most,,,(dude,I'm rambling,,,:lmao2: but I know you know what I'm trying to say:thumbup:)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Language changes w/ use over time. Always been that way.

I'm really out of the loop, I didn't even know "ratchet" was being used in that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't too long ago that "hell" was a major cussword that was not used around ladies.
LMAO, that was before we heard some of the womenfolk talking among themselves. My wife had two sorority sisters that I would put up against anyone in a cussing contest.

I will admit I cuss too much but I have never gotten what’s wrong with some of the words. Some feel it is a sign of disrespect but unless I am actually cussing at someone, most of the time in a vehicle, I am not disrespecting them. And those I cuss in vehicles, disrespect is the goal.

Prudes started that “cussing is a sign of ignorance” nonsense, they are nothing more than words of expression. And at the right time in the right setting, can be most exciting. I often talk dirty to myself.

The one that offends some people because of the religious connection, I do not use. The others? Oh hell yeah, with vim and vigor because they make me feel all growed up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm honestly not looking for a fight. I've lived in Louisiana 99% of my life and am familiar with the word ratchet. I've never heard it used in place of wretched. We keep ratchets in our tool boxes.

lol - that's where you will find my ratchets. I would imagine if there are some in Louisiana that pronounce wretched as ratchet it is a very small percentage. Every geographic area has some distinctions in their manner of speaking, but it's only a very small percentage that takes it to extremes - usually the least educated. Not everybody in the South sounds like Paula Dean or everyone in the Northeast like Rocky Balboa.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol - that's where you will find my ratchets. I would imagine if there are some in Louisiana that pronounce wretched as ratchet it is a very small percentage. Every geographic area has some distinctions in their manner of speaking, but it's only a very small percentage that takes it to extremes - usually the least educated. Not everybody in the South sounds like Paula Dean or everyone in the Northeast like Rocky Balboa.
I only use ratchet as a verb as in “let’s ratchet up this party” and the meaning is understood by everyone.....still standing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said it was wrong that it came from ignorance. The origin is not ignorance, the origin is dialect. This ignorance nonsense is just used to try to sleight younger people, which is beyond snide.

You can argue semantics all you want, but you're arguing a point I'm not making. I don't care if it originally came from that word or not.

lol - your first, snide post on this said nothing about this. You're snide remark was based only on the accusation that we were wrong about the origin. This part of the discussion didn't come up until your second post, and even then not until I posted something that suggested a regional pronunciation. You didn't even come up with that on your own.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not sure why folks are straining at some of the regional usage of words.

West Coast folks say "hella" for hell of. Southerners say "y'all" instead of you all. Folks from Atlanta coined the term "turnt up."

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know, I would have bet the farm that this topic would have created an argument.

There are posters that cannot resist the urge to correct others regarding word usage and punctuation. However, there are some, we learn, that express themselves that way by design like cern hates caps and Londy will put caps anywhere and everywhere. Both are educated and choose to do that.

I get the reaction with some being corrected and usually tried to do that having fun but I can also see how that can be perceived on the receiving end in front of the forum.

If I can figure out what they mean, and actually give a damn, I let the rest of that slide. Not worth making someone feel bad.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

West Coast folks say "hella" for hell of. Southerners say "y'all" instead of you all. Folks from Atlanta coined the term "turnt up."

I don't think anyway does have a problem with regional pronunciations, but the term "ratchet" (not the wrench or the verb)isn't limited to a region. It's become widespread. I hear it in Texas, and obviously Runny hears it in the Northeast where he lives. It's an annoying slang term at this point, not just a regional way of pronouncing. As I mentioned before, I doubt seriously many in Louisiana actually pronounce the word "wretched" as "ratchet".

Melonfeud

Reaction score

Ha& hell ya! Kinda' like : " gud thang thet sum beech turnt up ded afor id gots hold of em"

* oh,yes! I kin' be digging on that*:lmao:o_O:lmao:

:thumbup:

Xelda

Reaction score
Ha& hell ya! Kinda' like : " gud thang thet sum beech turnt up ded afor id gots hold of em"
Saves us the time and effort.
Know what gripes my innards? The continuing misuse and overuse of the word “awesome”.

Yesterday as I was checking out, the young checker said “awesome” when I had the correct change. Made me wonder what just normal everyday events are like in his life.

I detest the overuse of buzzwords and phrases like “don’t go there” and every other one run into the ground like “cool”. The test of whether a buzzword should be retired is when we hear 75 year old women using them.
Preachin' to the choir! What's so awe inspiring about the mundane? I've found people expect responses to ordinary things and I say "cool" with no idea what temperature has to do with anything. I hate leaving them hanging, but don't know what else to do. It's a fill in the blank segment of human interaction that "I'm tired of your company, so you can go now" remains unacceptable.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
And “et yet” and “hongry” is more famished than hungry.

Soma youse guys talk funny.
That's funny, as every time I'd show up at mom&dad's home
( later on & older,when I was in transition modes of rudderless life's sea & single),,, my Mother would always hit me with that
" Have you eaten yet,today?",,,and of course ,when an ol' forlorn boy is traversin' life's sea while rudderless,,, of course he ain't et yet,,,He's way plumb being preoccupied with that whole forlorn & rudderless quandary while battling life's sea to have et' yet,,,Momma's know things:starspin: