Grammar Corner

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don't think anyway does have a problem with regional pronunciations, but the term "ratchet" (not the wrench or the verb)isn't limited to a region. It's become widespread. I hear it in Texas, and obviously Runny hears it in the Northeast where he lives. It's an annoying slang term at this point, not just a regional way of pronouncing. As I mentioned before, I doubt seriously many in Louisiana actually pronounce the word "wretched" as "ratchet".

It's regional in origin but it should be no surprise that it's said in other parts of the country. We are much more connected through advances in technology and social media nowadays than we were just 30-35 years ago. I live in California and hear people say "y'all" and it's not like people get bent out of shape saying "hrrrrrumph, it's 'you all!"

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's regional in origin but it should be no surprise that it's said in other parts of the country. We are much more connected through advances in technology and social media nowadays than we were just 30-35 years ago. I live in California and hear people say "y'all" and it's not like people get bent out of shape saying "hrrrrrumph, it's 'you all!"

I think it may be a bit of an overstatement to say any of us are bent out of shape. We were just talking about expressions that irritate us, and I think almost everyone can name some of those. I imagine there are people in California that dislike hearing "ya'll" when it comes from someone that isn't native to a region where it is common, and I get that that too. But ya'll is and has always been common in the South, but can any of us here say they have heard "ratchet" used in place of "wretched" before kids started using it the last few years? One poster who lived most of his life in the region where that mispronunciation was supposed to have originated said he had never heard it before. It's never been common pronunciation anywhere.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think it may be a bit of an overstatement to say any of us are bent out of shape. We were just talking about expressions that irritate us, and I think almost everyone can name some of those. I imagine there are people in California that dislike hearing "ya'll" when it comes from someone that isn't native to a region where it is common, and I get that that too. But I think a contraction, even if it originated in a certain region, is a little different. It's a natural tendency of people in all regions of the country to abbreviate and condense words. After all, that's the reason all contractions exist, as well as why Bartholomew becomes Bart. But I don't think it's a natural tendency for people to pronounce words dramatically different than the proper pronunciation unless they just don't know better. Sure a regional accent may cause a slightly different pronunciation, but people from other areas can generally understand the word being spoken. On the other hand, until recently who would have picked up on "ratchet" being used in place of "wretched"? Everyone I know would think they were talking about a type of wrench. And as one poster said, even in Louisiana, where he lived most of his life, and where Wikipedia says the regional dialect turned "wretched" into "ratchet", he said he has never heard it before.
There's also the fact that they don't spell it w-r-e-t-c-h-e-d, so they aren't simply pronouncing it differently. They're using a completely different word. I have nieces and nephews who text, using the word ratchet. I just hope they actually know what the word wretched means. I think I'll ask them, next time I see them.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I think it may be a bit of an overstatement to say any of us are bent out of shape. We were just talking about expressions that irritate us, and I think almost everyone can name some of those. I imagine there are people in California that dislike hearing "ya'll" when it comes from someone that isn't native to a region where it is common, and I get that that too. But ya'll is and has always been common in the South, but can any of us here say they have heard "ratchet" used in place of "wretched" before kids started using it the last few years? One poster who lived most of his life in the region where that mispronunciation was supposed to have originated said he had never heard it before. It's never been common pronunciation anywhere.
Other than using it in C.B.Lingo ( "shut yer pie hole you ratchet jaw",, or " ratchet it down I'm coming around,big rigger " ) I've never heard it used in verbal communication in reference to this subject.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

It's recency shouldn't have anything to do with it. "Selfie" wasn't something that even existed 20 years ago and now it's part of global culture. New words are always added to the accepted lexicon whether formal or informal dialect; that's how language evolves. Try reading the original Constitution document and you'll see words that are no longer said or are spelled entirely different from how they are today.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Irregardless of your sincere ignorance, it is indeed a word.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...ary-mean-girls-lexicon-merriam-webster-2017-6

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=irregardless

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/irregardless
Why your affection for an incorrect word? Variants, lingo, techy new words do come into use. But we pick correctness over your trendy words. Regardless of your position.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Know what gripes my innards? The continuing misuse and overuse of the word “awesome”.

Yesterday as I was checking out, the young checker said “awesome” when I had the correct change. Made me wonder what just normal everyday events are like in his life.

I detest the overuse of buzzwords and phrases like “don’t go there” and every other one run into the ground like “cool”. The test of whether a buzzword should be retired is when we hear 75 year old women using them.
Super!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Eager/anxious

People, well Yanks, usually, confuse the two and misuse them.

Let's start with anxious.
Anxious indicates a state of anxiety, unease, nervousness or anticipation of something negative. Thus:
"She was anxious about her exam grade." "The coach was anxious about the runner's injury."

Eager indicates avid anticipation, looking forward to something or wanting to experience something.
"The captain was eager to show his platoon's readiness." "We eagerly await the good news."

Both have far different meanings, so be diligent, chaps!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Eager/anxious

People, well Yanks, usually, confuse the two and misuse them.

Let's start with anxious.
Anxious indicates a state of anxiety, unease, nervousness or anticipation of something negative. Thus:
"She was anxious about her exam grade." "The coach was anxious about the runner's injury."

Eager indicates avid anticipation, looking forward to something or wanting to experience something.
"The captain was eager to show his platoon's readiness." "We eagerly await the good news."

Both have far different meanings, so be diligent, chaps!
I don't recall hearing this misused often, to be honest.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Why your affection for an incorrect word? Variants, lingo, techy new words do come into use. But we pick correctness over your trendy words. Regardless of your position.

There was a goalpost....you moved it.

You said it wasn’t in the dictionary.

It is.

It’s also a word.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In the office of the lumberyard, in which I work, the office workers fill out what they refer to as "bill of ladings".
The term has become so widespread that even the educated among them say it...unless I'm in the room and give them a disappointed look. Then they shamefully say, "Sorry. Bills of lading."

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I agree with him. I don't use the word, because again, it was born of ignorance, but it is definitely a word.

Exactly.

If someone is arguing that it's redundant or technically incorrect, I will wholeheartedly agree. However, folks claiming that it's not a recognized word or even in the dictionary are not dealing with reality.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's recency shouldn't have anything to do with it. "Selfie" wasn't something that even existed 20 years ago and now it's part of global culture. New words are always added to the accepted lexicon whether formal or informal dialect; that's how language evolves. Try reading the original Constitution document and you'll see words that are no longer said or are spelled entirely different from how they are today.

You are talking about something entirely different. "Selfie" is a term all it's own, not a bastrdization of another word. Selfie was created to describe something that didn't exist in the past. It filled a need. "Ratchet" does not. We already have the word "wretched" and even have synonyms for it as well. On top of that, the word "ratchet" already existed with it's own definition that was in no way related to how kids are using it now. Essentially kids have commandeered an existing, unrelated word that had a vaguely similar sound and decided to use that word instead of the actual word that means what they are trying to express..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You are talking about something entirely different. "Selfie" is a term all it's own, not a bastrdization of another word. Selfie was created to describe something that didn't exist in the past. It filled a need. "Ratchet" does not. We already have the word "wretched" and even have synonyms for it as well. On top of that, the word "ratchet" already existed with it's own definition that was in no way related to how kids are using it now. Essentially kids have commandeered an existing, unrelated word that had a vaguely similar sound and decided to use that word instead of the actual word that means what they are trying to express..

But the lazy southern drawl that morphs "you all" to y'all is acceptable because it predates your memory? You're straining at this when really these things are akin to one another.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But the lazy southern drawl that morphs "you all" to y'all is acceptable because it predates your memory? You're straining at this when really these things are akin to one another.
No, "y'all" is a contraction, like "isn't", which is completely different.