Grammar Corner

Xelda

Reaction score
No thesis, no job application, no formal presentation would pass muster using y'all. Y'all is strictly feedlot or bowling night lingo. But idiots will write here, "Ha! Y'all don't know nothing" and will think themselves vaguely original ...
For some of us, "y'all" is part of our vernacular. It wouldn't be used in formal or legal applications, but is common in conversation. It's use does not indicate ignorance or intelligence. Double negatives. Isn't that stooping low to establish your point?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
They're moot points because they're irrelevant, and have nothing to do with the basis of the argument.
Calling my statements "cute" or "generic blanket responses" is a nice try at deflecting them, but every point I've made is valid, whereas every effort you've made to justify your point of view is simply trying to baffle me with BS.
You claim the word y'all is on the same level as ratchet, but it's simply a contraction, which is completely different, rendering it moot...I already addressed that.

Tell me what else I didn't "acknowledge and deal with".

So all your blathering boiled down is just you saying you can't understand the fact that it's not uncommon for words to be *******ized through time, whether it's morphing two words "you all" into y'all*, making up a slang term that eventually makes it officially into the lexicon, or the malapropism of ratchet for wretched.

I can't help you if you don't have the capacity to see the bigger picture.

Beyond any of this, you're sourcing urbanFREAKINdictionary.com as your reference for the origin and etymology of the word. If you don't see the dimwittery of that I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So all your blathering boiled down is just you saying you can't understand the fact that it's not uncommon for words to be *******ized through time, whether it's morphing two words "you all" into y'all*, making up a slang term that eventually makes it officially into the lexicon, or the malapropism of ratchet for wretched.

Beyond any of this, your source you're attempting to cite as the reference for the etymology of the word is urbanFREAKINdictionary.com. If you don't see the dimwittery of that I don't know what to tell you.
Hahaha....That was lame.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
For some of us, "y'all" is part of our vernacular. It wouldn't be used in formal or legal applications, but is common in conversation. It's use does not indicate ignorance or intelligence. Double negatives. Isn't that stooping low to establish your point?
A double negative would be dubious Zelda. A redundancy would be indignant Zelda.
As if anybody cares.
Cry me a river.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
That's cute. You took the very things I said about you and said them about me. They're only "moot" points because you don't want to acknowledge and deal with them. Don't confuse your generic blanket response as an actual substanative argument.
Round 2!
Fight!

kskboys

Reaction score
And there's a chasm of a difference between formal documents and conversation.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Today, Yahoo's, ruffians and workaday brutes, let us discuss the word aroma.
Us it to mean a pleasing thing. The aroma of fresh baked goods.
But not to describe the disagreeable, such as " The aroma of the land dump ....
The aroma of the slaughter.

Yes?
Splendid!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I will never say bloke or call a cigarette a ***..........all smokes have equal rights.......to eventually kill you.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Yes?
Splendid!
I'm fairly certain I've never heard anyone make such an unforgivable gaffe.......unless they were doing so to be ironic.

Xelda

Reaction score

Yes?
Splendid!
A little proof reading goes a long way when attempting to educate the masses.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Beyond any of this, you're sourcing urbanFREAKINdictionary.com as your reference for the origin and etymology of the word. If you don't see the dimwittery of that I don't know what to tell you.

Urban dictionary is the only dictionary to source - no other dictionary recognizes the word other than the with the standard definition of "ratchet". You claimed Runny's assumption about the origin was wrong, and told him to Google it before making assumptions. Well, Google only revealed the standard definition except in the Urban dictionary and Wikipedia, both of which indicated Runny was correct. If you didn't want to accept what Google showed, you shouldn't have suggested it.

In any case, I still don't get why you are so set on convincing Runny, myself and others not to dislike the way kids are using the word "ratchet". Dislikes are personal, and it's not up to you to dictate what we like or dislike. I don't know if you just got upset because Google didn't support your snide remark the way you expected it to, or if you just feel a strange compulsion to impose your beliefs on others, but I'm going to continue to find the kids use of "ratchet" annoying, as I'm sure others will, and if you find me annoying for feeling that way, so be it. I won't try to change your mind.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Urban dictionary is the only dictionary to source - no other dictionary recognizes the word other than the with the standard definition of "ratchet". You claimed Runny's assumption about the origin was wrong, and told him to Google it before making assumptions. Well, Google only revealed the standard definition except in the Urban dictionary and Wikipedia, both of which indicated Runny was correct. If you didn't want to accept what Google showed, you shouldn't have suggested it.

In any case, I still don't get why you are so set on convincing Runny, myself and others not to dislike the way kids are using the word "ratchet". Dislikes are personal, and it's not up to you to dictate what we like or dislike. I don't know if you just got upset because Google didn't support your snide remark the way you expected it to, or if you just feel a strange compulsion to impose your beliefs on others, but I'm going to continue to find the kids use of "ratchet" annoying, as I'm sure others will, and if you find me annoying for feeling that way, so be it. I won't try to change your mind.

I didn't tell anyone to go "Google" it.

You have me confused with someone else. Get your facts straight and come back.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't tell anyone to go "Google" it.

You have me confused with someone else. Get your facts straight and come back.

Sorry, it was Future that said that. You just took up the mantle. Nevertheless, that's why Urban dictionary was quoted. You are making it out as if Urban Dictionary was quoted as if it was a quality source, and that was not the case. It was quoted because of the suggestion to Google the origin, and because there was no other dictionary that referenced the word as kids are using it now. Plus, it was me, not Runny that quoted it. Obviously your facts aren't exactly up to speed either.

In any case, why does it ruffle you so much that some might find the way millennials are using the word annoying, and why is it important to you to try and force others to think like you do? Again, this thread is about our personal dislikes with how people use the language. You can dislike y'all, or anything else you choose. I can dislike what I choose. Get over it.

Last edited: