Grammys, if anyone cares

erod

Reaction score
Music today is such garbage. I feel bad kids have to grow up during this time. It's just empty nothingness, from rock to pop to country.

My own kids agree with me, as do most who have been exposed to different eras of music. What happened to rock music? Is Imagine Dragons the closest we have now? Where is George Strait or Whitney Houston or Prince or Journey or Led Zeppelin or New Edition or Alice in Chains or Nine Inch Nails? There used to be so much interesting and diverse music. Now it's just childish crap.

Oh, and very nice of the Grammy folks to misspell the name of Ric Ocasek in the memoriam feature. Speaks to the polish of these folks, or lack thereof.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Music today is such garbage. I feel bad kids have to grow up during this time. It's just empty nothingness, from rock to pop to country.

My own kids agree with me, as do most who have been exposed to different eras of music. What happened to rock music? Is Imagine Dragons the closest we have now? Where is George Strait or Whitney Houston or Prince or Journey or Led Zeppelin or New Edition or Alice in Chains or Nine Inch Nails? There used to be so much interesting and diverse music. Now it's just childish crap.

Oh, and very nice of the Grammy folks to misspell the name of Ric Ocasek in the memoriam feature. Speaks to the polish of these folks, or lack thereof.

You likely feel this way because you are looking at past music in a vacuum, and only remembering the best of the best. With the age of the internet and streaming, there is an enormous amount of diverse, well written, beautiful, fantastic music that people who spit this whole "modern music SUZX" mantra willfully ignore. Your generalization of all music as "childish crap" is absolutely, hilariously false, and shows your lack of knowledge about music being released now, or in the past.

And rock music is still alive and well.There are phenomenal rock records being released to this day.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You likely feel this way because you are looking at past music in a vacuum, and only remembering the best of the best. With the age of the internet and streaming, there is an enormous amount of diverse, well written, beautiful, fantastic music that people who spit this whole "modern music SUZX" mantra willfully ignore. Your generalization of all music as "childish crap" is absolutely, hilariously false, and shows your lack of knowledge about music being released now, or in the past.

And rock music is still alive and well.There are phenomenal rock records being released to this day.
I wish they'd play them on the classic rock stations! :laugh::lmao2::lmao:

See what I did there??? It works on two levels!! :laugh::angry::lmao2:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Billie Eilish looks like a meth addict.
You may be prejudging due to her usual self-projection of herself. It could be real or an act but it is not how she actually looks.

@DoctorChicken 's When The Party's Over video is a better rendition of her actual appearance. There was a (long) Vanity Fair interview of her that I caught one day on YouTube. VF has been following her for several years, interviewing her on an annual basis. The video includes snippets of her previous interviews as comparison flashbacks.

I have the feeling that she was had a negative self-perception entering her teens but she is blossoming as she nearing her twenties. She is a very cute, if not straight attractive, 18-year old young woman now. I may stop-and-look for the VF video to post later.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I disagree, the difference in then and now, is now we have to search for it instead of being served.

I do not make comparisons between decades of music because the influences were different and I do not compare art. That's why I don't like these awards shows, I agree with George C. Scott, art can never be competition.

I have no problem finding new music every week because I am not a radio listener. There is no format for me. And there are hundreds of composers/musicians that do not fit a format but they have the music in them and it is up to me to find them. So I search within the genres that are of interest to me and one song leads to another and one artist leads to another and one band leads to another.

I have never listened to music with the idea of comparing it. I can't compare any new band to Zep or the Stones or Pink Floyd or the Allman Brothers.

And erod, that childish crap has always been there.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Holy majoly, so they finally got it right for once. Billie Eilish won Record, Album, and Song of the year for “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go”?, one of the most impressive musical debuts in well... ever. A sleek, modern, killer dark-pop and art-pop record with some catchy songs, but overall is a dark and morbid effort. I was worried they were going to give it to a safe bet (acclaimed and beloved R&B artist Lizzo) or the generic-yet-acclaimed-rock band (the awesome Vampire Weekend), but no. They gave the major awards to an 18 year old girl. An 18 year old girl swept the major awards... because guess what? She earned it.

There is hope for the Grammys after all.

Good on you, Grammys.

I was happy to see Tool got another Grammy. Until Rock and Roll becomes the main part of the show I'll never watch, so probably never...

erod

Reaction score
I disagree, the difference in then and now, is now we have to search for it instead of being served.

I do not make comparisons between decades of music because the influences were different and I do not compare art. That's why I don't like these awards shows, I agree with George C. Scott, art can never be competition.

I have no problem finding new music every week because I am not a radio listener. There is no format for me. And there are hundreds of composers/musicians that do not fit a format but they have the music in them and it is up to me to find them. So I search within the genres that are of interest to me and one song leads to another and one artist leads to another and one band leads to another.

I have never listened to music with the idea of comparing it. I can't compare any new band to Zep or the Stones or Pink Floyd or the Allman Brothers.

And erod, that childish crap has always been there.
I essentially agree, and I know where to find it, too. But what is shoveled out into the mainstream is such monochromatic and formulaic garbage.

Believe me, even a lot of the kids see it, too. You can't imagine how many of them are diving back into music from 20 and 30 years ago. They hate the lack of choice out there, even when they deep-dive into Spotify.

The good news is, nobody is buying music anymore, which has the industry in a tizzy. It's forcing them to re-think. And a lot of musicians from the past are realizing a second career through these kids, too.

Big_D

Reaction score
I liked Billie Ellish after she did 'I Will' on Carpool Karaoke. She won me over. lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I essentially agree, and I know where to find it, too. But what is shoveled out into the mainstream is such monochromatic and formulaic garbage.

Believe me, even a lot of the kids see it, too. You can't imagine how many of them are diving back into music from 20 and 30 years ago. They hate the lack of choice out there, even when they deep-dive into Spotify.

The good news is, nobody is buying music anymore, which has the industry in a tizzy. It's forcing them to re-think. And a lot of musicians from the past are realizing a second career through these kids, too.
People aren't buying music because they've found ways to get it without buying it. I agree that there's a lot of monochromatic garbage out there. The music they play in my gym is so terrible, most of the bands should just name themselves Autotune I, Autotune 2, Autotune 3, etc.