Great Draft. Why?

kskboys

Reaction score
Because we drafted for toughness, we drafted football players as opposed to some dude who runs fast in his underoos.

We have needed toughness and attitude for a long long time now. Hey, who knows which players will turn out, that's all conjecture, of course.

However, here's what we do know: We just got a lot tougher and a lot meaner. And that was sorely needed. I give us an A just for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Because we drafted for toughness, we drafted football players as opposed to some dude who runs fast in his underoos.

We have needed toughness and attitude for a long long time now. Hey, who knows which players will turn out, that's all conjecture, of course.

However, here's what we do know: We just got a lot tougher and a lot meaner. And that was sorely needed. I give us an A just for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we did a great job rebuilding the OLine and keeping Tyler at LG was a big part of it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Atta Boy, Jerry!

morasp

Reaction score
If you get a chance watch the secret audio for Liufau and the interview they did with Greg Ellis during the draft.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I liked the draft. But the most important part is how they turn out. There was nothing flashy, just players we needed. No wow factor. What is that anyway? Is it over drafting a QB? Or over drafting a RB. You can say the LB was a reach, and I think if we had a 4th round pick, they would have waited until the 4th round. But let's see how he plays.

We get Overshown and Diggs back. Hopefully Mazi takes a step forward.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Dallas probably got three starters out of this draft.

Guyton LT

Beebe, this years center, future RG

Kneeland, this year rotational DE with Williams allowing Parsons to lineup anywhere. And Lawrence's future replacement.

Two starters is a good draft, if Dallas gets three it's a great class.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
What are you basing this claim of toughness on? Not one of these guys has played a down of football in a Cowboys uniform.
It's so ridiculous. Do these guys not remember our defense getting completely dominated by GB's run game and getting destroyed by SF? We have a LOT of work to do and we didn't address the glaring problem of being undersized on the D Line. THAT'S where we need to get tougher.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Not addressing RB and picking a guy at 87 that would likely have been available at 174 hurts this draft. It’s all a guess at this point but those were really unforced errors. I love Beebe but to suggest he is just going to slot into NFL C is ridiculous too.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Isn’t their very first pick known for his athleticism and pass blocking and not the toughness you posted about? I don’t know the player but just read 3 straight profiles on him needing to be stronger, and having trouble getting under pad level to drive block in the run game. Is he known for toughness?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Not addressing RB and picking a guy at 87 that would likely have been available at 174 hurts this draft. It’s all a guess at this point but those were really unforced errors. I love Beebe but to suggest he is just going to slot into NFL C is ridiculous too.
I wish people would get over where a player is picked and whining about reaching. We have no idea where anyone was ranked on the Boys board

gtb1943

Reaction score
Isn’t their very first pick known for his athleticism and pass blocking and not the toughness you posted about? I don’t know the player but just read 3 straight profiles on him needing to be stronger, and having trouble getting under pad level to drive block in the run game. Is he known for toughness?
read several that hinted he was nasty so I think toughness is pretty close

JustChip

Reaction score
I give it an F because they didn’t draft Trotter, Jr. I wanted him just to see his dad’s reaction. Similarly, I’m all for signing Zeke if for no other reason than seeing a certain Zoner ho apoplectic.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I've always believed these immediate post draft grades are ridiculous.
Tyler Smith was the 7th OL picked in 2022 and turned out to be the best so far by a longshot.
A lot of chatter that he was a major project and penalty machine.

I can't argue with the move back, given there were several players available we apparently liked, and still got one of them (Guyton) and added a 3rd rounder (which turned out to be Beebe).
Kneeland is a project indeed IMO. Limited stats even against MAC comp. Has the tools and reminds me a little of DLaw, who took a few years himself to develop.

Not a fan of the Liafau pick where we took him. There were better LBs available (both Trotter and Eichenberg went in the 5th round), and to me, there were better options, but hey, what do I know? I would have picked Jackson there, he and Mazi would have given us size up front, and then added Eich in R5 (would have required a move up in the round which I expected), or even took Liafau there as most boards had him behind Trotter and Eich. Jackson and Eich helps address our major weakness defensively. I'm still concerned with the DLine now.

Of course there will be another round of FA, and I think we will be active.
However, I think the intent here is to reset the cap situation for the organization. They didn't want to play this game that the Eafgles and others are playing with kicking the can, even with an expanding cap. I think they felt they went "all in" last year, adding Cooks and Gilmore and resigning most key players, and it didn't turn out so well, so they decided to reset.
Guyton for Tyron. Bebbe for Biadasz, Kneeland for Armstrong etc.
Cost controlled picks instead of high priced FAs.

I'm not a Jones fan to say the least, I've believed we've needed a pro GM since JJ left, but they have actually managed the cap pretty responsibly. The 2 older guys we have who eat a lot of cap (DLaw and Zach) and still productive players, and are expiring after this season, so their old deals will be off the books.Still will be paying for Gallup and let's hope Steele isn't in this category.
We've moved past the Zeke and Collins mistakes.

This draft and off-season were more about 2025 than 2024.
Not easy for a fan to accept but that's the reality.
We'll see how it plays out.

Robster8989

Reaction score

Taking some abuse here buddy but I see your point.
Guyton was a defensive linemen, who converted to OL. He's got a little nasty in him.
Beebe also I've heard likes to crush people, so I see what you're saying.
3 of the first 4 picks were in the trenches, and the 4th was a LB who likes to fly around and lay the wood, so yes, I see the point in your post.
If our staring 5 in Guyton/Smith/Beebe/Martin/Steele, we will be a team that should be able to run the ball physically, something we haven't been able to do since TFred left. We have some road graders up front now.