Great Draft. Why?

JustChip

Reaction score
Because we drafted for toughness, we drafted football players as opposed to some dude who runs fast in his underoos.

We have needed toughness and attitude for a long long time now. Hey, who knows which players will turn out, that's all conjecture, of course.

However, here's what we do know: We just got a lot tougher and a lot meaner. And that was sorely needed. I give us an A just for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s a successful draft at this point based on the reported attributes if the players. The consensus is just what you point out - tough, physical players. Obviously, the skills have to be there foremost, but there were options available for every pick so, generally speaking, skills were commensurate. The other factor that makes this a successful draft is the absence of high potential, but questionable character and injured players.

Motorola

Reaction score
Awhile. I’m a little on the slow side.

Actually, I wanted Trotter from the moment I read his dad wouldn’t attend his games if the Cowboys drafted him. I miss the Diron Talbert - Harvey Martin rivalry days.
'JustChip' - Kudos to you for rekindling NFL memories.

Diron Talbert ----- an NFL great, who besides his outstanding play on the field- ---epitomized the utter contempt, disdain, and scronfulness the Washington Football Franchise had against the Dallas Cowboys = aka "America's Team".
From their owner, the head coaches, players, and their fans back then...the resentment + hatred was at that time unparalleled in the NFL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always believed these immediate post draft grades are ridiculous.
Always! So many are driven by pet cats getting drafted or if the person giving the grade recognizes the name of the draft picks.

I read a review this morning where the Cowboys got a D because they didn't draft a RB. Talk about a bad review!

shabazz

Reaction score
Scouting reports. All of our first 4 picks are known for their toughness and attitude.
I would add that EVEN udfa safety Woods from East Carolinas best attribute is "ferocious against the run" and had led their defense in tackles the last 2 seasons

Toughness seems to be a new denominator for quite a few of the new potential players

If we’re lucky maybe the league will name some penalties after a few of them

shabazz

Reaction score
Always! So many are driven by pet cats getting drafted or if the person giving the grade recognizes the name of the draft picks.

I read a review this morning where the Cowboys got a D because they didn't draft a RB. Talk about a bad review!
They should always do a 3 year regrading on these things......but that would have them admitting they screwed the pooch more often than not.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Because we drafted for toughness, we drafted football players as opposed to some dude who runs fast in his underoos.

We have needed toughness and attitude for a long long time now. Hey, who knows which players will turn out, that's all conjecture, of course.

However, here's what we do know: We just got a lot tougher and a lot meaner. And that was sorely needed. I give us an A just for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL

Here we go again.

Get ready for the growling folks.

'We got guys that will be walking around like a pack of lions. No talking, just growling. Raw meat time!"

LOL.

We drafted a project left tackle, that's light on his feet, but weak, and needs to get a LOT stronger to play against the big boys.

And we got a nice, average, ham and egger guard...the kind of guard you'll see 2 or 3 of on every team. Just a nice, average, guard that can get in and be an average starter one day.

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROWLLLLL!!!!!

JustChip

Reaction score
'JustChip' - Kudos to you for rekindling NFL memories.

Diron Talbert ----- an NFL great, who besides his outstanding play on the field- ---epitomized the utter contempt, disdain, and scronfulness the Washington Football Franchise had against the Dallas Cowboys = aka "America's Team".
From their owner, the head coaches, players, and their fans back then...the resentment + hatred was at that time unparalleled in the NFL.
Yep…that was a time when the sport/entertainment ratio was weighted way more to the sport ledger. It’s just the opposite now.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Because Jerry finally relented and hired Zimmer(and possibly Jimmy) and gave up some power in the draft. This draft looks eerily like a Tuna draft. No flash, but lotsa Hosses.
Size

stinkface

Reaction score
Mazie was lost last year. I think he will gain weight and play better in the new scheme. Whether he will ever be worth where he was drafted is tbd. That said if he doesn't get motivated and put out max effort all the time he will turn out to be a journeyman and will be out of the league iin 5 years.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Mazie was lost last year. I think he will gain weight and play better in the new scheme. Whether he will ever be worth where he was drafted is tbd. That said if he doesn't get motivated and put out max effort all the time he will turn out to be a journeyman and will be out of the league iin 5 years.
I am not a fan of Mazi but I did not see anything that indicated anything wrong with his motor. It might simply be he is not quick enough for the NFL. We will see this year; if he does not show something really impressive by the end of the year he is a bust

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I give it an F because they didn’t draft Trotter, Jr. I wanted him just to see his dad’s reaction. Similarly, I’m all for signing Zeke if for no other reason than seeing a certain Zoner ho apoplectic.
Who is a Zoner ho? LOL

fansince68

Reaction score

Jaylen Smith was considered Tough and talented but blame his failure on his knee. The Cowboys don't really have a culture for "tough" players any more like Eric Williams, Michael Irving, Emmitt, Moose. Are the Cowboys the place where "tough " comes to die. I hope you are right though. I would spend a 1st round pick on "toughness" if possible.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just can't muster even fake optimism over most of this draft.

Guyton should maybe play RT. He's got a lot to learn and throwing him on the left where he may face better rushers may get your QB hurt. He was drafted as a project with size and agility. Sound familiar? He's the offensive version of mazi. This front office has taught me to not get carried away looking at ones physical size and combine numbers as it's meant very little once they get here.

Beebee dropped because of his small hands and arms. Seems odd they think he can play center but who knows. I doubt he starts unless he plugs in at LG this year.

They took a LB with tackling issues and a DE who hasn't shown he can rush on the field way too early. But they did need backups and got just that.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Appreciate the positivity, we'll have to see how the picks pan out but they definitely addressed priority 1 with the oline adds. They also added rotational depth on the dline and in some other spots.

I thought they really missed adding an RB and WR though, but have to hope they have a solid plan at RB and have a WR about to break out as the #3.