Great example of Market Price for NFL QB’s

Diehardblues

Reaction score
oeD0gPu.jpg

These are great examples how Market Price works in the NFL . Prescott bashed for his contract back when Market Price was 40 mil is now barely in top 10.

NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks​

RankPlayerAAV
1Justin Herbert$52.5 million
2Lamar Jackson$52 million
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
4Russell Wilson$48.5 million
5Kyler Murray$46.1 million
6Deshaun Watson$46 million
7Patrick Mahomes$45 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
This list doesn’t include Rodgers which would drop Prescott to tied for 10th. Once Burrows signs new deal Dak will be out of top 10.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...terbacks-2023-salary/zqrureirykzx3z7hyq713qov

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
oeD0gPu.jpg

These are great examples how Market Price works in the NFL . Prescott bashed for his contract back when Market Price was 40 mil is now barely in top 10.

RankPlayerAAV
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
This list doesn’t include Rodgers which would drop Prescott to tied for 10th. Once Burrows signs new deal Dak will be out of top 10.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...terbacks-2023-salary/zqrureirykzx3z7hyq713qov
How Murray and Watson are up there is beyond me

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
oeD0gPu.jpg

RankPlayerAAV
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
Obviously, salary doesnt equate to the best. The only ones I would definitely take right now over Dak are Mahomes and probably Allen. Hurts maybe, but I want to see him put up at least a second good year. Herbert I just don't get. Yes...big arm. But that isn't all that matters. Jackson is a great running back and a mediocre passer. Tries to do too much on his own. Wilson hasn't been very good the last couple of years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Obviously, salary doesnt equate to the best. The only ones I would definitely take right now over Dak are Mahomes and probably Allen. Hurts maybe, but I want to see him put up at least a second good year. Herbert I just don't get. Yes...big arm. But that isn't all that matters. Jackson is a great running back and a mediocre passer. Tries to do too much on his own. Wilson hasn't been very good the last couple of years.
Market Price isn’t a pecking order for QB’s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The agents and QBs have the NFL trapped.
The next starting QB up for a new deal shouldn't automatically reset the market every time.
It’s lunacy
But they do with Market Price .

We just don’t have a problem with it when it represents pecking order but it usually doesn’t.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
1 starting QB should be exempt from the salary cap. If you must have one. I guess you must.

I’m happy there’s no salary cap on owners. That would go against the capitalism they love.

Creeper

Reaction score
Dak is going to ask for $60 million or more when his current contract is up.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Out of that list Mahomes is the only one that has won a SB. If he wins another one ( which would make 3) I would definitely try to renegotiate.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We must remember that Franchise QB’s aren’t necessarily Elite QB’s. Most aren’t.

Owners are willing to pay Market Price for less than Elite QB’s cause they know it’s the most important position to build around.

There are two types of teams in the NFL. One with a Franchise QB to build around and the others are looking for a Franchise QB.

Adreme

Reaction score
The agents and QBs have the NFL trapped.
The next starting QB up for a new deal shouldn't automatically reset the market every time.
It’s lunacy
The cap goes up so the price goes up. It actually does make some sense especially when Herbert won’t see any of that cap hit for 3 years so it’s nothing for the Chargers to offer it now.

mcmvp

Reaction score
More examples of how Market Price isn’t a list based on pecking order.
That’s always been the argument though. I think most people are well aware what market price means, but it’s really market price for a QB that the franchise believes can be a SB leading QB (that’s the way I would look at it, anyway). The debate isn’t the dollar amount to pay, it’s about who deserves to get that market price.

Trevor Lawrence will be eligible to be extended after this season. If he wets the bed, he won’t be. Then they would have another year to figure that out.

Motorola

Reaction score
Out of that list Mahomes is the only one that has won a SB. If he wins another one ( which would make 3) I would definitely try to renegotiate.
Mahomes is the only QB on the list that won a SB recently.

Wilson - following 2014-15 season - 9 years ago.

Rodgers - who isn't on the list - won the SB following the 2010-11 season - 13 years ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The cap goes up so the price goes up. It actually does make some sense especially when Herbert won’t see any of that cap hit for 3 years so it’s nothing for the Chargers to offer it now.
Exactly right !!

These huge contracts much like Prescotts was are front loaded with huge signing bonuses ( Daks was 66 mil) with minimal Cap hits until end of contracts. Also of the 160 mil only 95 is guaranteed.

Daks cap hits-
2021- 17 mil
2022- 19 mil
2023- 26 mil
2024- 59 mil
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

And why we’ll renegotiate a new contract next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mahomes is the only QB on the list that won a SB recently.

Wilson - following 2014-15 season - 9 years ago.

Rodgers - who isn't on the list - won the SB following the 2010-11 season - 13 years ago.
Yep

And why Market Price isn’t usually a pecking order. It goes up every year cause Cap goes up. And by the end of your contract if you’re not an Elite QB are probably more in line with pecking order like Prescott is now.