Great example of Market Price for NFL QB’s

DFWJC

Reaction score
The cap goes up so the price goes up. It actually does make some sense especially when Herbert won’t see any of that cap hit for 3 years so it’s nothing for the Chargers to offer it now.
Im not specifically talking about Herbert but just the default mindset

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More examples of how Market Price isn’t a list based on pecking order.
Exactly. Most fans do not understand that starting QBs who want to be retained by their teams will be paid MARKET price. Market price is NOT based on accomplishments. It’s is based on a combo of what the market dictates and what the team feels the potential of keeping this QB brings vs going back to square one in looking for a new QB.

The reason QBs are so overpaid is not about accomplishments. It’s about the extreme difficulty in finding even a decent QB who can be consistent enough to give the team a chance to compete for the playoffs. Market value is dictated by the scarcity of QB talent.

If the market ever gets glutted with talent, the prices will go down. It’s economics 101- supply and demand. When demand is high and supply is low, prices go up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s always been the argument though. I think most people are well aware what market price means, but it’s really market price for a QB that the franchise believes can be a SB leading QB (that’s the way I would look at it, anyway). The debate isn’t the dollar amount to pay, it’s about who deserves to get that market price.

Trevor Lawrence will be eligible to be extended after this season. If he wets the bed, he won’t be. Then they would have another year to figure that out.
I think it’s more about finding a QB which they can build around which hopefully could culminate into a SB contender.

But much like our owner has stated that remaining relevant and interesting is the initial goal. Having a competitive and consistent playoff contender attracts the fans which generates the revenue.

While reaching and winning a SB is the ultimate goal it’s not necessarily what drives the interest and winning. It’s more about building the hope you can contend. That’s what a Franchise QB presents regardless if Elite or not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think they have created a market price loop that no longer makes sense
I think it depends on your perspective. And ultimately on these franchises initial goals. Which is to find a Franchise QB to build a playoff contender around. That’s what attracts fans and generates revenue.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
oeD0gPu.jpg

These are great examples how Market Price works in the NFL . Prescott bashed for his contract back when Market Price was 40 mil is now barely in top 10.

NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks​

RankPlayerAAV
1Justin Herbert$52.5 million
2Lamar Jackson$52 million
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
4Russell Wilson$48.5 million
5Kyler Murray$46.1 million
6Deshaun Watson$46 million
7Patrick Mahomes$45 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
This list doesn’t include Rodgers which would drop Prescott to tied for 10th. Once Burrows signs new deal Dak will be out of top 10.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...terbacks-2023-salary/zqrureirykzx3z7hyq713qov
Dumb owners and the players union are to blame for such ever increasing ridiculous QB market prices. They simply refuse to cap how much to pay for a QB. It's like they intentionally want to 'one up' each other just for bragging rights, all while paying no heed to the effects on their team's salary cap. Personally going to hate what Dak's second big contract price is going to be. Clearly, today's players don't care about how their ridiculous prices affect their team and teammates. They all are in it for themselves to see how much each one can get.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We must remember that Franchise QB’s aren’t necessarily Elite QB’s. Most aren’t.

Owners are willing to pay Market Price for less than Elite QB’s cause they know it’s the most important position to build around.

There are two types of teams in the NFL. One with a Franchise QB to build around and the others are looking for a Franchise QB.
Basically the market has split into 2 groups of QB's, Have a chance....holding the fort for have a chance..Elite, very good , good , average, bad have gone out the window but people will still loose thier minds.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dumb owners and the players union are to blame for such ever increasing ridiculous QB market prices. They simply refuse to cap how much to pay for a QB. It's like they intentionally want to 'one up' each other just for bragging rights, all while paying no heed to the effects on their team's salary cap.
That’s because there’s a bigger agenda at play than just winning championships.

In order to attract fans and generate revenue all you need is a team that can be a playoff contender. That’s what a Franchise QB presents regardless if Elite or not.

Ultimately the goal is generating revenue not winning championships which is just gravy. Cowboys are a great example this era.

The NFL is Americas great example of Sports Entertainment business at the highest level. Franchise QB’s have the leading role .

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s because there’s a bigger agenda at play than just winning championships.

In order to attract fans and generate revenue all you need is a team that can be a playoff contender. That’s what a Franchise QB presents regardless if Elite or not.

Ultimately the goal is generating revenue not winning championships which is just gravy. Cowboys are a great example this era.

The NFL is Americas great example of Sports Entertainment business at the highest level. Franchise QB’s have the leading role .
100% agreed! You nailed it, G.

:hammer: :hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Basically the market has split into 2 groups of QB's, Have a chance....holding the fort for have a chance..Elite, very good , good , average, bad have gone out the window but people will still loose thier minds.
IMO there are two groups of teams in NFL. Those with a Franchise QB they can build around who can contend for playoffs and the rest are looking for a Franchise QB which can make them a playoff contender.

Franchise QB’s don’t have to be Elite. And depending on when they sign a contract can be higher paid than greater or even more proven QB’s.

QB’s contracts aren’t a pecking order. Rather the contracts dictate when they were signed. And why the Market Price was coined.

Think of it like when Franchises were sold. Is Washington worth 2 billion more than Denver? I don’t think so but it’s more about inflation and market price. That’s all this Market Price is about with QB’s. Timing..

kskboys

Reaction score
oeD0gPu.jpg

These are great examples how Market Price works in the NFL . Prescott bashed for his contract back when Market Price was 40 mil is now barely in top 10.

NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks​

RankPlayerAAV
1Justin Herbert$52.5 million
2Lamar Jackson$52 million
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
4Russell Wilson$48.5 million
5Kyler Murray$46.1 million
6Deshaun Watson$46 million
7Patrick Mahomes$45 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
This list doesn’t include Rodgers which would drop Prescott to tied for 10th. Once Burrows signs new deal Dak will be out of top 10.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...terbacks-2023-salary/zqrureirykzx3z7hyq713qov
Rodgers just signed for 37.5 mil.

kskboys

Reaction score
How Murray and Watson are up there is beyond me
Watson absolutely refused to go to CLEV. Until they offered him that contract. Only way they could get him to agree to get traded there.

Murray whined and complained his way up there. I was surprised they paid him, as he definitely hadn't proven he deserved it at that time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think it depends on your perspective. And ultimately on these franchises initial goals. Which is to find a Franchise QB to build a playoff contender around. That’s what attracts fans and generates revenue.
Well, of course
We are having two different conversations
thats fine

HungryLion

Reaction score
We must remember that Franchise QB’s aren’t necessarily Elite QB’s. Most aren’t.

Owners are willing to pay Market Price for less than Elite QB’s cause they know it’s the most important position to build around.

There are two types of teams in the NFL. One with a Franchise QB to build around and the others are looking for a Franchise QB.
It’s classic supply and demand.

Demand for a quality starting QB is high. Supply is extremely low.

Look at all the QB’s that get drafted high in the first round that never pan out in the NFL. Owners know that if they let their QB walk, it could take them years and years to find a viable replacement.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s classic supply and demand.

Demand for a quality starting QB is high. Supply is extremely low.

Look at all the QB’s that get drafted high in the first round that never pan out in the NFL. Owners know that if they let their QB walk, it could take them years and years to find a viable replacement.
Yup. It's hard to find even middle of the road QBs. If you find a "franchise Qb", one you can build around, you can win it. See Eli Manning. He was never great, but he was there for what, 15 years? So, they could build around him. Strong running game and a great D.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
IMO there are two groups of teams in NFL. Those with a Franchise QB they can build around who can contend for playoffs and the rest are looking for a Franchise QB which can make them a playoff contender.

Franchise QB’s don’t have to be Elite. And depending on when they sign a contract can be higher paid than greater or even more proven QB’s.

QB’s contracts aren’t a pecking order. Rather the contracts dictate when they were signed. And why the Market Price was coined.

Think of it like when Franchises were sold. Is Washington worth 2 billion more than Denver? I don’t think so but it’s more about inflation and market price. That’s all this Market Price is about with QB’s. Timing..
that works for me.

kskboys

Reaction score
that works for me.
The key is to have a heady GM and good HC who are smart enough to accurately analyze what a QB brings to the table and build around what he is.

In our situation, Jerry thinks that if he believes a QB(or any player) is great and treats him as such, he will be great. Jerry appears to completely lack the ability to accurately assess players. Which might be our biggest problem. Look at the DBs we're still acquiring. Way too often they lack lateral agility and/or burst. If a DB lacks lateral agility, he can't cover. This is a passing league. Think.

We finally dumped Straightline Reggie Robinson and replaced him w/ Straightline Marquise Bell. Sooooo, after 28 or whatever years, how is Jerry still making this same mistake? Doesn't matter how fast a DB is if he can't flip his hips.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Mahomes is the only QB on the list that won a SB recently.

Wilson - following 2014-15 season - 9 years ago.

Rodgers - who isn't on the list - won the SB following the 2010-11 season - 13 years ago.
Your right. My bad. I forgot about Wilson winning it. I was thinking of the loss to the Pats where they should have ran the bal in from the goal line was the only one he was in. I didn’t include Rodgers because like you said he wasn’t on the list but is paid highly. I just hope that Dak comes to his senses and has a fair extension so they can build a team around him to win a SB if they don’t beforehand.

kskboys

Reaction score
Your right. My bad. I forgot about Wilson winning it. I was thinking of the loss to the Pats where they should have ran the bal in from the goal line was the only one he was in. I didn’t include Rodgers because like you said he wasn’t on the list but is paid highly. I just hope that Dak comes to his senses and has a fair extension so they can build a team around him to win a SB if they don’t beforehand.
NE was stacked up the middle, the run would've been squashed. The idiocy was having a 5-10 QB attempting to pass over the middle. Why didn't they roll him out?

Wilson has lived his entire career doing 7-10 step drops. That's what he has to do in order to be able to see.

Soooooo, Den gives up the farm for him, and, get this, try to remake what he does as a QB. Idiots.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Watson absolutely refused to go to CLEV. Until they offered him that contract. Only way they could get him to agree to get traded there.

Murray whined and complained his way up there. I was surprised they paid him, as he definitely hadn't proven he deserved it at that time.
So there are a few more stupid GMs out there just like ours...