Great example of Market Price for NFL QB’s

Flamma

Reaction score
Hey, you stated something as fact. I'm contrary, I naturally look for opposite examples.

Mahomes took far less by accepting a 10 year deal. If he takes a 4-5 yr deal for around 50 mil/season, he could then have gotten 60 mil+ in his next deal. That is taking less.

Hey, BTW, enjoying the back and forth as usual. It's just like us, a couple stubborn old dudes, to argue semantics about a very grey term such as "franchise QB"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seems like Mahomes doesn't care. He's set for life, and is apparently ok with this. Lets see how long that lasts. He may try to challenge Brady for Super Bowls if he's not looking for more pots of gold.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hey, you stated something as fact. I'm contrary, I naturally look for opposite examples.

Mahomes took far less by accepting a 10 year deal. If he takes a 4-5 yr deal for around 50 mil/season, he could then have gotten 60 mil+ in his next deal. That is taking less.

Hey, BTW, enjoying the back and forth as usual. It's just like us, a couple stubborn old dudes, to argue semantics about a very grey term such as "franchise QB"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just because I believe it to be true doesn’t mean it’s fact.

What we can agree on is the “ Franchise QB” title has been lessened this era with so many QB’s being paid Market Price. Especially without being proven .

And there’s no one I respect their opinion more than yours . Thanks

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It seems like Mahomes doesn't care. He's set for life, and is apparently ok with this. Lets see how long that lasts. He may try to challenge Brady for Super Bowls if he's not looking for more pots of gold.
Right.

And QB’s are a little different than other players. Not only do they have the largest contract on the team by far but they also usually have the most endorsements from sponsors as well. They often restructure their contracts to make Cap room. It doesn’t mean their money isnt still priority . Those restructures often come with additional sign on bonuses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Man, how do you guys not pay attention. No one cares about the money. All we care about is being able to fit a super bowl winner under the cap. That's it.

Honestly, how are you guys getting this so wrong?
True . But that’s a fans perspective. It’s not the players responsibility to manage the Cap.

Personally I couldn’t care less about the money except I’m all for these players getting all they can . And would argue that’s their initial priority.

And why most players would rather be a on a lesser team making top money that being on a championship team making less.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Even though I don't disagree with a single thing you've said, you're getting into semantics here. Are you old enough to remember that muffler commercial with the guy holding the hammer saying, "I'll make it fit"? That's what these teams are doing. They are making these QBs their franchise QBs. They are until they're not. Like Carson Wentz. But for the sake of simplicity, if a team pays their QB long term, that's their franchise QB.
And that’s basically all I’m saying here. In the past these QB’s weren’t paid until they were proven.

Now they are becoming Market Price Franchise QB’s simply because owners are desperate to name a QB to build around .

And they must make a decision in most cases before their Rookie contract is complete.

That’s all I’m attempting to redefine here .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IDK about that. Thing is, the more it costs for QBs, the less other players are going to make. Surely at some point that will become just too glaring.
Look at the other position salary increases, they all follow the QB up.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea and Brady did too. Or Bill would have released him earlier. Mahomes still became the highest paid at the time. And Rodgers just took less. Someone who had always placed himself first.

So we have a couple rare examples of players out of thousands and we want to argue that’s the norm. C’mon man.

Fans still holding on to the dream these players care more about winning than money. Lol
Would Rodgers have done that for GB?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Would Rodgers have done that for GB?
What’s not being said is Rodgers did this so he could play longer with the Jets than the two years remaining or possibly even just one year which he was concerned if this season didn’t meet expectations could be released on his 3 year deal signed last year which at the time made him the highest paid QB per year in the league .

Rodgers wants to play beyond his current contract which will earn him more than the 2 years he had remaining . In the end he will earn more if he stays with Jets.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/nfl...-pay-cut-2023-season/veenkiqs5zlzz58lqdxz8jka

Flamma

Reaction score
And that’s basically all I’m saying here. In the past these QB’s weren’t paid until they were proven.

Now they are becoming Market Price Franchise QB’s simply because owners are desperate to name a QB to build around .

And they must make a decision in most cases before their Rookie contract is complete.

That’s all I’m attempting to redefine here .
Yeah it's semantics. For the sake of simplicity, they are franchise QBs if they are given long term contracts. Even though they may not be actual franchise QBs.

kskboys

Reaction score
True . But that’s a fans perspective. It’s not the players responsibility to manage the Cap.

Personally I couldn’t care less about the money except I’m all for these players getting all they can . And would argue that’s their initial priority.

And why most players would rather be a on a lesser team making top money that being on a championship team making less.
I disagree on that also. I think it's everyone's.

We're not talking about a player taking 50% less, we're talking about maybe 5% less. DLaw, for example, would've helped if he'd taken 19 mil. Every little bit of money saved helps fit more good players under the cap. The more good players you have the better chance you have of a playoff run. If winning is your concern, then you are concerned about salaries!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I disagree on that also. I think it's everyone's.

We're not talking about a player taking 50% less, we're talking about maybe 5% less. DLaw, for example, would've helped if he'd taken 19 mil. Every little bit of money saved helps fit more good players under the cap. The more good players you have the better chance you have of a playoff run. If winning is your concern, then you are concerned about salaries!!!!
Not denying that . Yes , fans are concerned and FO but not all but a handful of players. It’s not the players responsibility to manage the cap.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
True but a Franchise QB provides them more hope which is more marketable than a team without one .
Well then there are 2 options, pay dak 55 mil a year and buy some more dak hope.
Go with a rookie or another vet which is much cheaper and still provides hope if things are done right. and with this option
they would have more $ for FA or resigning their own players.

With the dak option way less $ for other players. Hope wont win a team a SB, players and coaches do.