Great example of Market Price for NFL QB’s

kskboys

Reaction score
My definition is attempting to take the subjective opinion out. If a team believes their QB is enough to build around to offer a long term contract at Market Price they become a Franchise QB.
I disagree w/ that definition. A team can think they have a franchise QB when they don't.

Since franchise QB is an extremely subjective term to begin w/, it is impossible to take the subjectiveness out of the discussion.

For instance, I don't consider Lamar one. Won't last long enough.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think don meredith would have played longer if he was offered 50 mil a year !
These guys today make way too much money, but they are in at the right time so they get ridiculous amounts of money.
It is a insane world , and these owners buy these players like toys, and it only pays off occasionally.

Denver signing a older wilson for 49 mil was just plain stupid. Watson was stupid, lamar was stupid,murray was stupid ( a lot of stupid owners lol) but thats ok
when your a billionaire !
It is easy to make playoffs now days, 7 teams from a 16 team conf make the playoffs each year, div winners with weak div may have a losing record,
which is outdated and should be changed.

Teams that can win in div round or the champ round are the true contenders.

QB's are affected by the coaches they have and the players around them, and in our case the GM, so it is hard to evaluate them fairly.
Fans measure success by the results on the field alone but owners also measure success at the turnstiles, merchandise sales and sponsors.

A popular average to above average QB that provides hope a team can remain relevant and interesting to be a consistent playoff contender is worth his weight in gold to owners.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I disagree w/ that definition. A team can think they have a franchise QB when they don't.

Since franchise QB is an extremely subjective term to begin w/, it is impossible to take the subjectiveness out of the discussion.

For instance, I don't consider Lamar one. Won't last long enough.
I understand and respect that. And on some fronts might agree . Elite is more subjective. But the subject matter is Market Price .

If a team pays and recognizes their QB as a Franchise QB then regardless of our opinions they are. Their opinion is really all that matters as they sign the checks.

It doesn’t mean all Franchise QB’s remain as such. They can fall off that plateau after time.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Fans measure success by the results on the field alone but owners also measure success at the turnstiles, merchandise sales and sponsors.

A popular average to above average QB that provides hope a team can remain relevant and interesting to be a consistent playoff contender is worth his weight in gold to owners.
You could not have said it any better. Short and sweet. This is why QBs like Jones, Cousins, Jackson, Murray, all get big money.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
oeD0gPu.jpg

These are great examples how Market Price works in the NFL . Prescott bashed for his contract back when Market Price was 40 mil is now barely in top 10.

NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks​

RankPlayerAAV
1Justin Herbert$52.5 million
2Lamar Jackson$52 million
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
4Russell Wilson$48.5 million
5Kyler Murray$46.1 million
6Deshaun Watson$46 million
7Patrick Mahomes$45 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
This list doesn’t include Rodgers which would drop Prescott to tied for 10th. Once Burrows signs new deal Dak will be out of top 10.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...terbacks-2023-salary/zqrureirykzx3z7hyq713qov
Daks contract was still bad. Everyone understood that in 2-5 yrs he would fall down the list. That’s not the point at all, it’s about retaining and acquiring players. It’s about the percentage of the pie 1 player is commanding.

khiladi

Reaction score
Who cares what Dak’s contract is relative to the market, if it’s about winning. He was way over-valued when he signed it and still is way over-valued despite the market.

We got the number 1 ranked TO defense now 2 years running in large part because of Parsons and he’s still the crotch holding the team back.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score

well to jerry anyway lol.
But I have to disagree, because the seats are all sold, whether the team is bad or good.
If empty seats, they lose on concessions, and some on merchandise. but that isnt a large sum.
Most teams have enough die hard fans to fill stadium and buy merch. good or bad team.
And some team spend big on a qb or have one and still dont contend, look at denver last year, and chargers havent done much etc.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well to jerry anyway lol.
But I have to disagree, because the seats are all sold, whether the team is bad or good.
If empty seats, they lose on concessions, and some on merchandise. but that isnt a large sum.
Most teams have enough die hard fans to fill stadium and buy merch. good or bad team.
And some team spend big on a qb or have one and still dont contend, look at denver last year, and chargers havent done much etc.
True but a Franchise QB provides them more hope which is more marketable than a team without one .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Daks contract was still bad. Everyone understood that in 2-5 yrs he would fall down the list. That’s not the point at all, it’s about retaining and acquiring players. It’s about the percentage of the pie 1 player is commanding.
While I agree Dak may have been overpaid his contract was Market Price and his Cap hits of 17 and 19 million in 2021 and 2022 weren’t as disabling as some argued .

2023 Cap hit is 26 mil still far below the average 40 mil his contract is hyped as. The last year of his contract is 59 mil Cap hit and why his contract will be renegotiated next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand and respect that. And on some fronts might agree . Elite is more subjective. But the subject matter is Market Price .

If a team pays and recognizes their QB as a Franchise QB then regardless of our opinions they are. Their opinion is really all that matters as they sign the checks.

It doesn’t mean all Franchise QB’s remain as such. They can fall off that plateau after time.
A QB is not a franchise type QB just because a team declares it so. That would be an erroneous conclusion based on faulty data.

For instance. Wilson is, in all likelihood, no longer a franchise QB. Huge questions as to whether Peepeeslap is. Fields has shown zero signs of being one, and at this point Geno Smith is just a one year wonder. To be seen. Daniel Jones is most assuredly not, even though he was paid as one. Tannehill is not. Tua and JimmyG are not because of health issues. Murray is not.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
and that goes for the top 15 QBs in the league. of which they all make 30M and above.

and what players were lost because of the percentage of the pie? last I remember, last year we had 20M on the cap. could have signed anyone, but didn't. this year we have 20m on the cap, could have signed anyone but didn't. we just signed Diggs to a large contract and about to sign Lamb as well. discussions with Steel are ongoing.

so this we can't sign/retain anybody is been proven wrong 100 times over.

cap is easily manipulated. every team pushes money into the future, spreads it and subsequently at some point take all the dead money in one or two years and rebuild.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Who cares what Dak’s contract is relative to the market, if it’s about winning. He was way over-valued when he signed it and still is way over-valued despite the market.

We got the number 1 ranked TO defense now 2 years running in large part because of Parsons and he’s still the crotch holding the team back.
what's your point? do you have anybody else in mind other than Dak?. you have never ever provided any other options that would make this team better. all you do is b!tch incessantly. perhaps its PMS for you year round.

what's the other options and guarantee that it would make us better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A QB is not a franchise type QB just because a team declares it so. That would be an erroneous conclusion based on faulty data.

For instance. Wilson is, in all likelihood, no longer a franchise QB. Huge questions as to whether Peepeeslap is. Fields has shown zero signs of being one, and at this point Geno Smith is just a one year wonder. To be seen. Daniel Jones is most assuredly not, even though he was paid as one. Tannehill is not. Tua and JimmyG are not because of health issues. Murray is not.
Fields and Smith were not included in the list of Franchise QB’s .

The rest are arguably Franchise QB’s and paid Market Price contracts accordingly as such despite whatever analysis we may have .

Once a Franchise has dedicated a QB with a long contract extension their search for a QB is over at least until that QB doesn’t meet their expectations .

And why I’ve attempted to establish there are two type of teams in the NFL. One group which has their Franchise QB. And the others are still looking for one . Maybe they have drafted him but until they sign a second long term contract are not their Franchise QB.

That is what I’m establishing as a Market Price Franchise QB. This isn’t trying to establish who we think are the best QB’s in the league .

Toro9

Reaction score
Every young top tier QB, who signs a new deal will be the highest paid player until we get a nuke dropped on us. Barring that scenario, eventually, QBs will be making more than Amazon CEOs.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Its all about timing, and having a flexible QB. Mahomes contract looked massive when it got done but he did the Chiefs a favor by making it a very long deal, while all but 1 year moving forward will likely be below market.

Dak will likely sign another massive 4-5 year deal that will make the initial deal look like a bargain. Dak knew what he was doing not taking anymore than a 4 year deal as QB contracts would go even higher.

Flamma

Reaction score

Even though I don't disagree with a single thing you've said, you're getting into semantics here. Are you old enough to remember that muffler commercial with the guy holding the hammer saying, "I'll make it fit"? That's what these teams are doing. They are making these QBs their franchise QBs. They are until they're not. Like Carson Wentz. But for the sake of simplicity, if a team pays their QB long term, that's their franchise QB.

Flamma

Reaction score

It's not just about winning. It's about having a capable QB even if he isn't worth his weight in peanuts. It's about being competitive. Not going 5-11 three years in a row like we did back in 2000. If it was just about winning a championship a lot of these QBs wouldn't have been given long term deals.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fields and Smith were not included in the list of Franchise QB’s .

The rest are arguably Franchise QB’s and paid Market Price contracts accordingly as such despite whatever analysis we may have .

Once a Franchise has dedicated a QB with a long contract extension their search for a QB is over at least until that QB doesn’t meet their expectations .

And why I’ve attempted to establish there are two type of teams in the NFL. One group which has their Franchise QB. And the others are still looking for one . Maybe they have drafted him but until they sign a second long term contract are not their Franchise QB.

That is what I’m establishing as a Market Price Franchise QB. This isn’t trying to establish who we think are the best QB’s in the league .
And I disagree w/ your parameters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Even though I don't disagree with a single thing you've said, you're getting into semantics here. Are you old enough to remember that muffler commercial with the guy holding the hammer saying, "I'll make it fit"? That's what these teams are doing. They are making these QBs their franchise QBs. They are until they're not. Like Carson Wentz. But for the sake of simplicity, if a team pays their QB long term, that's their franchise QB.
Yup. They are declaring that their QB is a franchise QB.

Calling a QB a "franchise QB" in general is nothing but semantics. The term really means nothing. I would imagine that originally it was a media created term.

58, and yup, I do remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shabazz

Reaction score
oeD0gPu.jpg

These are great examples how Market Price works in the NFL . Prescott bashed for his contract back when Market Price was 40 mil is now barely in top 10.

NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks​

RankPlayerAAV
1Justin Herbert$52.5 million
2Lamar Jackson$52 million
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
4Russell Wilson$48.5 million
5Kyler Murray$46.1 million
6Deshaun Watson$46 million
7Patrick Mahomes$45 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
This list doesn’t include Rodgers which would drop Prescott to tied for 10th. Once Burrows signs new deal Dak will be out of top 10.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...terbacks-2023-salary/zqrureirykzx3z7hyq713qov
A case could be made that 5 of those 8 quarterbacks pictured didn’t earn even half of those salaries on the field because of play or chronic injury

only Mahomes, Hurts and Herbert played at a high level all season