Great example of Market Price for NFL QB’s

khiladi

Reaction score
It's not just about winning. It's about having a capable QB even if he isn't worth his weight in peanuts. It's about being competitive. Not going 5-11 three years in a row like we did back in 2000. If it was just about winning a championship a lot of these QBs wouldn't have been given long term deals.

3-1 with a 3rd string QB who has the arm strength of my grandmother with this roster

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A case could be made that 5 of those 8 quarterbacks pictured didn’t earn even half of those salaries on the field because of play or chronic injury

only Mahomes, Hurts and Herbert played at a high level all season
That’s not really the definition or example of Franchise QB I was attempting to establish with Market Price.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yup. They are declaring that their QB is a franchise QB.

Calling a QB a "franchise QB" in general is nothing but semantics. The term really means nothing. I would imagine that originally it was a media created term.

58, and yup, I do remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Correct . QB’s paid Market Price become Franchise QB. That doesn’t mean they are top 10 or 15 caliber.

Your definition is about the pecking order or more into or closer to Elite type category. That’s not what owners or I’m trying to establish here.

What I’m saying is if a team invest long term at MarketPrice they become a Franchise QB regardless if we believe they are a top caliber QB.

shabazz

Reaction score
That’s not really the definition or example of Franchise QB I was attempting to establish with Market Price.
I understand……just commenting on those particular guys and how some of them really underperformed

Murray, Wilson, and Watson should give back half their salaries to their teams

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand……just commenting on those particular guys and how some of them really underperformed

Murray, Wilson, and Watson should give back half their salaries to their teams
Perhaps but that’s not really pertinent to establishing how they become Market Price Franchise QB.
Thanks

kskboys

Reaction score
Correct . QB’s paid Market Price become Franchise QB. That doesn’t mean they are top 10 or 15 caliber.

Your definition is about the pecking order or more into or closer to Elite type category. That’s not what owners or I’m trying to establish here.

What I’m saying is if a team invest long term at MarketPrice they become a Franchise QB regardless if we believe they are a top caliber QB.
Nope. Doesn't make them a franchise QB.

Hardline

Reaction score
Just because the market dictates the price for QB doesn't mean you have to follow it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nope. Doesn't make them a franchise QB.
Then we have different definitions as the league describes them as Franchise QB’s once a team has paid them Market Price solidifying their starting QB position for several years.

It’s not a definition of Elite or top QB’s in the league or any type of pecking order and why it doesn’t carry the meaning you are seeking to define.

What Is A Franchise Quarterback In Football?​

by Nathan D
“A franchise quarterback is a player who has enough quality at the quarterback position that the team can build around them to win a championship.”

And any team which invest long term in a QB they believe they can build around becomes a Franchise QB. Of course some of the Franchise QB can fail.

https://fourvertsfootball.com/what-is-a-franchise-quarterback-in-football/

Last edited by a moderator:

tomokawan

Reaction score
Dumb owners and the players union are to blame for such ever increasing ridiculous QB market prices. They simply refuse to cap how much to pay for a QB. It's like they intentionally want to 'one up' each other just for bragging rights, all while paying no heed to the effects on their team's salary cap. Personally going to hate what Dak's second big contract price is going to be. Clearly, today's players don't care about how their ridiculous prices affect their team and teammates. They all are in it for themselves to see how much each one can get.
Never worry about other people's money. I laugh when folks complain about salaries of others, but will be right there at the game or in front of the TV watching them opening day. LOL

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Never worry about other people's money. I laugh when folks complain about salaries of others, but will be right there at the game or in front of the TV watching them opening day. LOL
Of course the players are all in it for themselves. This notion they would be willing to make much less in order to win is laughable.

This will always be a business first. Their careers could end on the next play. Some fans are just plain ignorant to the business at hand and what these players risk.

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course the players are all in it for themselves. This notion they would be willing to make much less in order to win is laughable.

This will always be a business first. Their careers could end on the next play. Some fans are just plain ignorant to the business at hand and what these players risk.
Rodgers just took less to win.

Mahomes took less than he could've gotten in order to win.

Players do it all the time, but that's boring, so you only hear about the ones who hold out and say stupid crapp.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man, how do you guys not pay attention. No one cares about the money. All we care about is being able to fit a super bowl winner under the cap. That's it.

Honestly, how are you guys getting this so wrong?

kskboys

Reaction score
Then we have different definitions as the league describes them as Franchise QB’s once a team has paid them Market Price solidifying their starting QB position for several years.

It’s not a definition of Elite or top QB’s in the league or any type of pecking order and why it doesn’t carry the meaning you are seeking to define.

What Is A Franchise Quarterback In Football?​

by Nathan D
“A franchise quarterback is a player who has enough quality at the quarterback position that the team can build around them to win a championship.”

And any team which invest long term in a QB they believe they can build around becomes a Franchise QB. Of course some of the Franchise QB can fail.

https://fourvertsfootball.com/what-is-a-franchise-quarterback-in-football/
The league calls them franchise QBs? Where. I don't believe it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rodgers just took less to win.

Mahomes took less than he could've gotten in order to win.

Players do it all the time, but that's boring, so you only hear about the ones who hold out and say stupid crapp.
Yea and Brady did too. Or Bill would have released him earlier. Mahomes still became the highest paid at the time. And Rodgers just took less. Someone who had always placed himself first.

So we have a couple rare examples of players out of thousands and we want to argue that’s the norm. C’mon man.

Fans still holding on to the dream these players care more about winning than money. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The league calls them franchise QBs? Where. I don't believe it.
Well, I should say the owners or franchises call them that. That’s what I mean by the league. The media certainly does which is that meaningless description you suggested earlier.

I’m sorry that you don’t like the fact the definition doesn’t fit what you’ve always thought. And like I have stated I agree in part with what you’re trying to say.

You don’t necessarily agree or see all of the QB’s who are paid Market Price as Franchise QB’s because many of them fail to fulfill or meet those expectations. Unfortunately our criteria doesn’t always meet how these QB’s are paid as owners are desperate to find their QB to build around .

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, I should say the owners or franchises call them that. That’s what I mean by the league. The media certainly does which is that meaningless description you suggested earlier.

I’m sorry that you don’t like the fact the definition doesn’t fit what you’ve always thought. And like I have stated I agree in part with what you’re trying to say.

You don’t necessarily agree or see all of the QB’s who are paid Market Price as Franchise QB’s because many of them fail to fulfill or meet those expectations. Unfortunately our criteria doesn’t always meet how these QB’s are paid as owners are desperate to find their QB to build around .
It's the opposite. The actual definition doesn't fit what you think.

I've actually asked around w/ the people I talk football to. How many franchise QBs in the NFL: The answers have ranged from 4 to around a dozen.

What we're seeing now is a new situation. At no time before the recent present have teams been forced to pay exorbitant amounts to QBs who they hope will become franchise QBs. Which means they are not franchise QBs yet. In the past, QBs weren't "paid" until they'd proven to be franchise QBs. Now, they're being paid way before they've proven it. Change in times.

I'm sorry that your definition is outdated and no longer accurate!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Yea and Brady did too. Or Bill would have released him earlier. Mahomes still became the highest paid at the time. And Rodgers just took less. Someone who had always placed himself first.

So we have a couple rare examples of players out of thousands and we want to argue that’s the norm. C’mon man.

Fans still holding on to the dream these players care more about winning than money. Lol
Hey, you stated something as fact. I'm contrary, I naturally look for opposite examples.

Mahomes took far less by accepting a 10 year deal. If he takes a 4-5 yr deal for around 50 mil/season, he could then have gotten 60 mil+ in his next deal. That is taking less.

Hey, BTW, enjoying the back and forth as usual. It's just like us, a couple stubborn old dudes, to argue semantics about a very grey term such as "franchise QB"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flamma

Reaction score
Man, how do you guys not pay attention. No one cares about the money. All we care about is being able to fit a super bowl winner under the cap. That's it.

Honestly, how are you guys getting this so wrong?
They're talking as if there was no cap. Cap changes everything.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's the opposite. The actual definition doesn't fit what you think.

I've actually asked around w/ the people I talk football to. How many franchise QBs in the NFL: The answers have ranged from 4 to around a dozen.

What we're seeing now is a new situation. At no time before the recent present have teams been forced to pay exorbitant amounts to QBs who they hope will become franchise QBs. Which means they are not franchise QBs yet. In the past, QBs weren't "paid" until they'd proven to be franchise QBs. Now, they're being paid way before they've proven it. Change in times.

I'm sorry that your definition is outdated and no longer accurate!!!!!!!!
I get your argument . Unfortunately QB’s are being paid before they are proven now. And why I’m redefining the description . It also means the title of Franchise QB has been lessened as a result.