Great/Infamous Quotes by Cowboys

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
What are some timeless/legendary quotes by Cowboys players and personnel? It seems we like to bring up certain quotes, sometimes its forgotten who originally said it. Here are a few that get quoted over and over again around here:

"How bout them Cowboys!" -Jimmy Johnson, 1992

"What do voluntary mean?" -Darren Hambrick, 2001

"there was a lot of meat left on the bone," -Joseph Randle, 2015

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tom Landry:

1. Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control.
2. Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.
3. I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

4. I don't believe in team motivation. I believe in getting a team prepared so it knows it will have the necessary confidence when it steps on a field and be prepared to play a good game.

Zordon

Reaction score
"It felt like being a diamond surrounded by trash."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Roger Staubach
1. Nothing good comes in life or athletics unless a lot of hard work has preceded the effort. Only temporary success is achieved by taking short cuts.

2. Confidence comes from hours and days and weeks and years of constant work and dedication.

Plankton

Reaction score
Walt was as dependable as they came. When you needed to gain four yards on a play, if you gave the ball to Walt, he would get you four yards. If you needed to gain ten yards on a play, if you gave the ball to Walt, he would get you four yards.

-
Don Meredith

The Cowboys team plane hit turbulence on the way home from a trip. Everyone was a bundle of nerves. The plane then took a huge dip down. Bob Lilly yelled, "This is it! This is It" Pete Gent then turned to his teammate and said, "Joe Don, we're gonna buy it this time."

Don Meredith - "Well, it's been a good un', ain't it?"

As a rookie walked by with Landry's thick playbook. "Don't bother reading it kid. Everybody gets killed in the end."

- Pete Gent

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
A reporter interviewing Walt Garrison asked if he had ever seen Tom Landry smile. Ol' Walt replied, "No, but I've only played here nine years. But, I know he's smiled at least three times because he has three kids."

Zordon

Reaction score
What is the hard times in Dallas, Texas quote from Jerry re: Love Field?

plymkr

Reaction score
Barry Switzer, 1995, when asked about his relationship with Troy- "You guys keep trying to divide me and my quarterback. It's like jock itch, the more you scratch it the worse it gets".

plymkr

Reaction score
"Michael Irvin being held without a catch is like spilling holy water in a strip club", Billy Davis, 1999, when asked about Irvin's record of consecutive games with a catch being snapped at Arizona.

Seriously, who let this guy near a microphone?

Zordon

Reaction score
If we had picked Manziel, he'd guarantee our relevance for 10 years. - Jerry Jones