Greater emphasis on keeping Irving

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
dear CZ---- I am assuming most of you saw the article...comparing David Irvings stats in only 8 games to the top DT's in the league playing 16 games...and how much they made?....a deflected pass is worth at least 80% of a sack...Irving had 7 sacks and 6 deflections in 8 games...only Malike Jackson and Geno Atkins had more sacks than Irving but they played twice as many games...no one had even close to his 6 deflections

David Irving ( 7 sacks...6 deflected passes..450,000 thousand )
players like Suh ( 4.5..sacks.. 2 deflections... 19+ million )
Fletcher Cox..(5.5 sacks...1 deflection............17.1 million )
Kawaan Short (7.5 sacks..1 deflection...........16.1 million )
Marcell Darius( 2 sakcs..0..deflections..........15.85 million )
Malik Jackson (8 sacks..3 deflections...........18.2 million )
Gerald McCoy (6 sacks..1 deflection..............13.6 million )
Luvall Joseph (3.5 sacks..0 deflections.........12.5 million )
Jimmy Jernigan ( 2.5 sacks 0 deflections......12 million )
Geno Atkins ( 9 sacks...0 deflections.......12.6 million )
Kyle Williams ( 3 sacks...2 deflections.......10 million )

you here Irving is kind of a squirrley dude ....well the good organizations learn how to influence their players
and tailor their leadership that impacts players...Irving is not a drug abuser or does he have an injury history other than a concussion ( those occur for almost every player )....take his word for it that the vitamins he endorsed gave him a positive pee test...and lead a budding superstar for your team....the big problem is we will lose this on the verge elite player in free agency and only get a second round pick for him...at least if you are going to screw it up get a first round pick?...this really ticks me off..we let budding great players and coaches move on to have great careers on other teams...Irving will be a war daddy...we could potentially have 3 or 4 war daddys on this team...Lawrence..Irving....Collins...Tapper...Taco..maybe Gregory??...3 for sure

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I hope a team gives us a draft pick even if it isn't this year's or not a 2nd round.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've said all along the Cowboys need to keep Irving. I think it's unlikely his production can be replaced by a 2nd round choice unless the Cowboys get lucky with that pick. Agree to a deal and move on. Last thing the Cowboys need is more drama.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Im beginning to wonder if they are preparimg to move on from him...either this year or next.
Its why Im even more curious about 6-7 Utsa DE Marcus Davenport.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the position of the team is pretty simple, at least from what I've observed. If we get a 2nd, he's gone. If we don't, we are going to leverage his stupidity into a more team friendly contract.

Simple as that, to me.

Sydla

Reaction score
You try to gloss over the concussion but that’s a mistake. It’s been reported he didn’t have your run of the mill concussion. His was very bad to the point he got into a car accident weeks after the concussion and couldn’t remember where he was and why or how he got into the accident.

conner01

Reaction score
Irving has as much talent as any Dlineman in the nfl
But like some players they scare teams with other issues
It’s going to be interesting to see what happens but you could get two first rnd picks and not likely replace the talent he has
But I don’t know all the issues with him but I do know Jerry wants a war daddy and Irving is a war daddy, so if they let him walk the issues are the reason

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the position of the team is pretty simple, at least from what I've observed. If we get a 2nd, he's gone. If we don't, we are going to leverage is stupidity into a more team friendly contract.

Simple as that, to me.
mr AB--- the guy can be unblockable..and he deflects so many passes...yes he is what they call a "right brain" dude (creativity ) and gets squirrley
but he is not a trouble maker or drug addict or wife beater...but the guy is on the verge elite....guarantee Belichek would get the most out of him...
Brian Broaddus ( i dont agree with everything he says but i do on this )....our coaches do not have good understanding of how to use our players to their best potential....coach Garrett locks in to "just outwill the guy in front of you"..its good motivation but its certainly not a template for either optimum or consistent success...yes the players play hard for Garrett and that is good...but hopefully this season with better teachers to assist coordinators..i.e. richard and Alexander and receivers coach/teacher...players can be put in the best postion for their potential?...find out in 2018

Reactions: BAT

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
mr AB--- the guy can be unblockable..and he deflects so many passes...yes he is what they call a "right brain" dude (creativity ) and gets squirrley
but he is not a trouble maker or drug addict or wife beater...but the guy is on the verge elite....guarantee Belichek would get the most out of him...
Brian Broaddus ( i dont agree with everything he says but i do on this )....our coaches do not have good understanding of how to use our players to their best potential....coach Garrett locks in to "just outwill the guy in front of you"..its good motivation but its certainly not a template for either optimum or consistent success...yes the players play hard for Garrett and that is good...but hopefully this season with better teachers to assist coordinators..i.e. richard and Alexander and receivers coach/teacher...players can be put in the best postion for their potential?...find out in 2018

I don't dispute that the guy has some talent. I mean, as I posted in previous threads, I believe that the team tried to send him a message with the Moore cut last year. I believe they wanted him to come around. Now, has he or will he? I don't know the answer to either of those questions but my guess is that the team doesn't think so. I mean, you don't even bother to send a message like that unless you have some interest in a guy.

I don't know all there is to know about the situation but on the surface, it looks as if there may be more to this. I mean, this team is not one of those teams that lets players go too early. If anything, they hang on too long. If they are willing to part with him for 2nd, that suggests to me that there is more then we know going on.

JMO

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You try to gloss over the concussion but that’s a mistake. It’s been reported he didn’t have your run of the mill concussion. His was very bad to the point he got into a car accident weeks after the concussion and couldn’t remember where he was and why or how he got into the accident.

Sydia--- not trying go gloss over...just that concussions happen to just about every player at one point or another so....its not the same as injury prone like shaun Lee....that was the point i was making...i guarantee there is no one in this draft in round 2 that could step in and have the success of Irving the first year...so i hope we at least keep him one more year and then lose him

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't dispute that the guy has some talent. I mean, as I posted in previous threads, I believe that the team tried to send him a message with the Moore cut last year. I believe they wanted him to come around. Now, has he or will he? I don't know the answer to either of those questions but my guess is that the team doesn't think so. I mean, you don't even bother to send a message like that unless you have some interest in a guy.

I don't know all there is to know about the situation but on the surface, it looks as if there may be more to this. I mean, this team is not one of those teams that lets players go too early. If anything, they hang on too long. If they are willing to part with him for 2nd, that suggests to me that there is more then we know going on.

JMO
mr AB--- but did Irving not answer the bell?...7 sacks 6 deflections in 8 games?..no other DT in the whole NFL came close to that

Reactions: BAT

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
mr AB--- but did Irving not answer the bell?...7 sacks 6 deflections in 8 games?..no other DT in the whole NFL came close to that

Yes and no. When he was in, his production was pretty good. When he wasn't, well, he wasn't and that's a problem.

Think about it thou. Does this team get rid of really talented players for 2nd round picks usually? Why would they do that?

Last edited:

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes and know. When he was in, his production was pretty good. When he wasn't, well, he wasn't and that's a problem.

Think about it thou. Does this team get rid of really talented players for 2nd round picks usually? Why would they do that?

i am pretty sure someone would give a 1 for him...so lose him for another first rounder at least?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
None of this means anything without a platinum guarantee.

mr Asthma---OK..did not want to do it ..but you forced my hand...i am putting a GORICO PLATINUM GUARANTEE ...cowboys will screw this one up

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yes and no. When he was in, his production was pretty good. When he wasn't, well, he wasn't and that's a problem.

??? He's not consistent, for sure, but when it's working for him, he's much, much better than pretty good.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
i am pretty sure someone would give a 1 for him...so lose him for another first rounder at least?

I don't know what some might give for him. He missed the first 4 games due to suspension. He missed the last 4 because of concussion. Whatever some will give, I am guessing that the team, probably has a pulse on it. Just my guess.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've said all along the Cowboys need to keep Irving. I think it's unlikely his production can be replaced by a 2nd round choice unless the Cowboys get lucky with that pick. Agree to a deal and move on. Last thing the Cowboys need is more drama.

Very much like both Lawrence and Irvin. Need to keep them both. But long term deals is dicey with both their track records.