Greatest Rock & Roll song ever

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
It's interesting to think about how what is mostly considered rock has evolved over the years, but is so similar throughout down to this day. Plus how the umbrealla of rock casts such a big net. Do you count folk rock? Electronic rock? Pop-rock?

For me, it's hard to name a particular best ever. But these are some of mine that if someone said they though it was the best, I wouldn't argue with them and may even be pleasantly surprised. I may think they're a bit weird, but hey, I understand. Because they're from my brain when I'm thinking about the question. Right now.

In no particular order (yeah remember that because I'm posting NEW stuff too oh wild doctor chicken oh what a bad bad boy

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
London Calling - The Clash
Hey Jude - The Beatles
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Highway to Hell - AC/DC
Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
La Grange - ZZ Top
Every Breath You Take - The Police
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynrd Skynrd (yaeh this is a rock song)
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits (a personal favorite of mine. One of mom's favorite songs when I was a kid.)
Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
Jerusalem - Sleep (the longest at 63 minutes)
Funeralopolis - Electric Wizard
Cigarettes Daydreams - Cage the Elephant
Paramoid - Black Sabbath
Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Monkey Gone to Heaven - The Pixes (the most underrated band on this list, which is going to be a rant in another post!1!!11!)
Gouge Away - The Pixies
Waiting On My Man - The Velvet Underground (speaking of more underrated)
Heroin - The Velvet Underground
KARMA POLICE By RADIOHEAD MYFAVORITE EVER!!!!! =it is so there it has been decided)
Still Haven't Found - U2
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance

I’ll think of more tomorrow

cowboyec

Reaction score
Elvis' 26 Best Rock'n'Roll Songs:
(my opinion)
~in the order recorded~
1.thats all right...sun...1954
2.good rockin' tonight...sun...1954
3.baby,lets play house...sun...1955
4.mystery train...sun...1955
5.trying to get to you...sun...1955
6.heartbreak hotel...rca...1956
7.money honey...rca...1956
8.blue suede shoes...rca...1956
9.my baby left me...rca...1956
10.lawdy,miss clawdy...rca...1956
11.hound dog...rca...1956
12.don't be cruel...rca...1956
13.all shook up...rca...1957
14.one night...rca...1957
15.jailhouse rock...rca...1957
16.a big hunk o' love...rca...1958
17.little sister...rca...1961
18.(you're the) devil in disguise...rca...1963
19.guitar man...rca...1967
20.big boss man...rca...1967
21.suspicious minds...rca...1969
22.polk salad annie...rca...1970
23.burning love...rca...1972
24.promised land...rca...1973
25.t-r-o-u-b-l-e...rca...1975
26.way down...rca...1976

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score

feb...1970...las vegas showroom.
from his excellent on stage album.
best version on vinyl.
it was a signature of his live shows from '70-'77.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I didn't think any song would ever top the Stones' Satisfaction until I heard this song. Whiskey in the Jar by Tin Lizzy. The guitar on this song is just amazing. Vocals and drum work are just as spectacular. Everything arranged perfectly in my opinion. I bought a greatest hits CD while in Japan and this was one of the songs. I never heard it before. Never heard it on the radio. I put it on autoplay and probably listened to it for an hour straight. Enjoy.

cowboyec

Reaction score

too damn important not to get mentioned.
from 1957.
#1 and went gold.
one of his true essentials...and one of the best written songs he ever did.
thats Elvis you hear slappin' the back of his guitar.

cowboyec

Reaction score

recorded in the jungle room @graceland in '76...from his last album...moody blue.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know the song but if it is going to be considered the best R&R song ever, not best Rock but the true R&R created in the 50's, it would have to be by either Bill Hailey, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis or Little Richard, the Four Horsemen of R&R.

Three of those gentlemen not only pioneered and created the essence of the genre, but the show in showman when they presented it to a live audience. It wasn't just the music, it was how they presented it and watching Jerry Lee and Little Richard turn their pianos into partners and Chuck sliding up the stage in his patented style, imitated by so many in tribute, while playing was new to us, everybody else just played their music or sang their songs.

I am an old guy and old guys get to reflecting about what they will miss when they're not here any longer but I would never exchange being alive as a 10 year old when R&R first arrived and it was like they had created music just for me as I was into air guitar and piano once I saw them display their craft and to have seen it develop into the art form it did and witness that British Invasion, the most exciting time of my life in my memory, is worth every year old I am now.

For so many years, this venerable genre of music just couldn't stop giving us great artists, musicians and songs once that gate was opened and so many inspired to create.

Rock and Roll and the Rock that it would evolve into is the tapestry of my life and I can associate songs with every event, good and bad, in my life that reached something within me that I can't even express. But everything was either made more acceptable or better because of that.

Picking one song to represent that is a severe injustice to the soundtrack of my journey.

Last edited:

terra

Reaction score
I didn't think any song would ever top the Stones' Satisfaction until I heard this song. Whiskey in the Jar by Tin Lizzy. The guitar on this song is just amazing. Vocals and drum work are just as spectacular. Everything arranged perfectly in my opinion. I bought a greatest hits CD while in Japan and this was one of the songs. I never heard it before. Never heard it on the radio. I put it on autoplay and probably listened to it for an hour straight. Enjoy.

technically(vocals, etc. But only technically) true. Mick frankly never had much of a voice. And to be blunt the rest of the Stones were not all that great. BUT. When you sum it all up; the time and everything else; and its impact. Can't Get no Satisfaction cannot be beaten.