Greenville SC...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about it?

Have a job offer there but moving from NY, to SC seems like it might be culture shock.

And I'm also wondering if they're still po'ed about the Civil War.

Thanks

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are going to love you city slicker. :laugh2:

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
I can't speak to SC at all, but coming from NY to VA was pretty nice overall.

You will love the lower cost of living, car insurance, etc. Things tend to move at a bit slower pace and, for the most part, the winters are pretty mild. That was definitely easy to get used to.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3462589 said:
They are going to love you city slicker. :laugh2:

They'll just assume I'm in the mafia and leave me alone.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Faerluna;3462591 said:
I can't speak to SC at all, but coming from NY to VA was pretty nice overall.

You will love the lower cost of living, car insurance, etc. Things tend to move at a bit slower pace and, for the most part, the winters are pretty mild. That was definitely easy to get used to.

On the nosey.

My real estate taxes here are + $15,000 per year.

In SC, for a home that blows mine away, $2100. Right there is a savings of over $1000 per month.

Could sell my home up here...buy a place with zero mortgage down there.

The NY meat grinder is becoming a bit much to handle.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Juke99;3462580 said:
Anyone know anything about it?

Have a job offer there but moving from NY, to SC seems like it might be culture shock.

And I'm also wondering if they're still po'ed about the Civil War.

Thanks

Yes :D

DFWJC

Reaction score
Juke99;3462617 said:
On the nosey.

My real estate taxes here are + $15,000 per year.

In SC, for a home that blows mine away, $2100. Right there is a savings of over $1000 per month.

Could sell my home up here...buy a place with zero mortgage down there.

The NY meat grinder is becoming a bit much to handle.
Yeah, you'll be way ahead finacially if your salary stays close to the same.

Greenville, SC is a lot warmer than Richmond (and much more than NY) , and it can get pretty muggy there. But the city is geographically located in a pretty decent area---the mountains are fairly close and the beach is easy to get to as well. I think both Charlotte and Atlanta are not too far way either.

No doubt, there will be a bit of a culture shock though. I guess it depends on your perspective whether that's a good or bad thing.

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
I just moved(Jun'10) to Florida from Arizona and I'm luving the difference in all the taxes not to mention no damn state tax, cheaper car/home insurance, cheaper gas, cheaper utilities, and nearly the same handgun laws..

I should have moved here a lot sooner from that damn desert :banghead:

Now I have to bring the family up at the end of the month.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Bonecrusher#31;3462659 said:
I just moved(Jun'10) to Florida from Arizona and I'm luving the difference in all the taxes not to mention no damn state tax, cheaper car/home insurance, cheaper gas, cheaper utilities, and nearly the same handgun laws..

I should have moved here a lot sooner from that damn desert :banghead:

Now I have to bring the family up at the end of the month.

We'll check back with you after the first hurricane. :D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've known several people here in NY that has either moved to to Carolinas or Flordia. Many have moved back to NY. They said not only is the culture different, but they said it was hardest on the kids.

Now, those that moved were NYC lifers. (never lived anywhere else) They went on Vacation to Florida or the Carolinas and though that was what it was going to be like living there. That is never the case; I don't care where you move.

If you've lived outside of NYC (the city specific) before, you should have some idea of what it will be like. (the change that is) If you're always in the city doing stuff, that will be the biggest change for you specifically. If you're basically a home-body and would like a slower pace, you shouldn't have any issues.

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
nyc;3462694 said:
I've known several people here in NY that has either moved to to Carolinas or Flordia. Many have moved back to NY. They said not only is the culture different, but they said it was hardest on the kids.

Now, those that moved were NYC lifers. (never lived anywhere else) They went on Vacation to Florida or the Carolinas and though that was what it was going to be like living there. That is never the case; I don't care where you move.

If you've lived outside of NYC (the city specific) before, you should have some idea of what it will be like. (the change that is) If you're always in the city doing stuff, that will be the biggest change for you specifically. If you're basically a home-body and would like a slower pace, you shouldn't have any issues.

I've always lived in tourist type states NoCal, So Cal, AZ and now FL.

The biggest shock for me is the time change.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Bonecrusher#31;3462675 said:

After getting out of the Marines, my friend and his family moved to Florida. They lasted one hurricane season and beat feet to Alabama or somewhere.

:D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Faerluna;3462731 said:
After getting out of the Marines, my friend and his family moved to Florida. They lasted one hurricane season and beat feet to Alabama or somewhere.

As long as somewhere wasn't New Orleans or Mississppi during Katrina. :laugh2:

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
Faerluna;3462731 said:

I'm not near the 'Cane area fellas :cool:

Well at least not since 1871...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Bonecrusher#31;3462724 said:
I've always lived in tourist type states NoCal, So Cal, AZ and now FL.

The biggest shock for me is the time change.

I've lived in Texas, New Orleans, SoCal, NoCal, and New York. The culture shock of New York is like no other.

I was lucky, for about a year to a year and a half before moving to New York, I was flying up here monthly.

IMO it would be harder to move away from New York if it's the only place you've ever lived than it would be to moved to New York. The culture shock is real moving here, but moving away would be like taking everything you've ever known away (as in how life around you functions) and ask to live like that. It is very different.

For instance, my wife was completely blown away when she came down to Texas with me by the fact that it took 40 minutes of highway driving at 70mph to get to someones house. In her world, everything is a train, subway, or 2-10 minutes by car away.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Been a NY'er for life. Born in Brookly. Doesn't get more NY than that.

That said, if this was 15 years ago; ten years ago, I think the change in culture would be a huge obstacle.

But...There's nothing that I wouldn't be able to purchase via the internet. I do most of my shopping on line now.

I don't go to NYC other than on business because at this point, I'm just tapped out from all the chaos of NYC.

The cost of living is beyond concept if you haven't lived here. Again, I pay $1300 per month just for real estate taxes.

DirecTV allows me to watch the Cowboys (same as here) and the Yankees.

All of my music submissions and work with publishers is done on line....so nothing lost there.

Restaurants, I'm sure that would be a huge difference.

But if that's the biggest loss, compared to being able to basically, retire...I dunno...sounds a bit like a no brainer to me.