Greenville SC...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99;3464231 said:
I'm a shut-in. I don't think the shock would impact me unless I didn't have central air conditioning.

;)

They can cut a mean mullet in the South.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Juke99;3464231 said:
I'm a shut-in. I don't think the shock would impact me unless I didn't have central air conditioning.

;)

AC is not an option in the South :laugh2:

ologan

Reaction score
Juke99;3462580 said:
Anyone know anything about it?

Have a job offer there but moving from NY, to SC seems like it might be culture shock.

And I'm also wondering if they're still po'ed about the Civil War.

Thanks
I think you will really like it there. We live about 60 miles from there (Greenville/Spartanburg),and you really are close to the mountains and not that far from Charleston and Savannah that you could make a weekend trip out of it very easily. there's also Asheville,NC not that far away,and as someone has said,Atlanta is down I-85 about 150 miles or so. It's different than up your way and will be a slight cultural shock,but not that many folks are still burned about the "War of Northern Aggresion". It's friendly,which may be a change for you. There's lots to do if you are into outdoors stuff. you will be close...I'll spring for a burger for you when you get here. I'm over that way a couple times a month,when I want my "city" fix; We need it sometimes up here in the mountains!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
ologan;3464930 said:
I think you will really like it there. We live about 60 miles from there (Greenville/Spartanburg),and you really are close to the mountains and not that far from Charleston and Savannah that you could make a weekend trip out of it very easily. there's also Asheville,NC not that far away,and as someone has said,Atlanta is down I-85 about 150 miles or so. It's different than up your way and will be a slight cultural shock,but not that many folks are still burned about the "War of Northern Aggresion". It's friendly,which may be a change for you. There's lots to do if you are into outdoors stuff. you will be close...I'll spring for a burger for you when you get here. I'm over that way a couple times a month,when I want my "city" fix; We need it sometimes up here in the mountains!

Thanks. If I make it down there, I'll be sure to take you up on it.

Hey, I think the culture shock is part of what I'm looking for.

Tired tired of NY.

And mostly, I'm not a club or bar guy. I'm not looking to go down there to be on someone's bowling team.

Nice home, easy job, time to relax...that would be about the sum of what I'd wanna do.

ologan

Reaction score
Hostile;3462964 said:
I used to live in Hendersonville and Asheville, NC, which is not far from Greenville at all. I have been there. The area is beautifully lush and green.

In between Asheville and Greenville, but not on the direct route is a town called Brevard. It is the prettiest place I have ever been to in that part of the country. The town is in the Appalachian Mountains and it surrounds a lake. I actually had a wild swan come up to me and eat bread out of my hand. Tiger lillies grow wild there. Stunning area.

There are so many beautiful waterfalls in that part of NC and SC that you would not believe it. Dry Falls has a trail and you can walk behind it. Bridal Veil Falls drops on one side of the road, then goes under the road and drops down the other side. Cullasaja Falls is like a staircase falls. It drops 250 feet all in stages. Whitewater Falls drops 411 feet and is the highest dropping waterfall East of the Mississippi I believe. Great trail down to it.

I know you will miss your pizza, but you can get used to Southern food. I still miss Bojangles. I loved that place. The best biscuits on earth. They put everything on them. Everyone I have ever referred there who has tried it admits they are great. Oh, do not, under any circumstances, let someone talk you into trying chitlins. Hush puppies are worth trying. Brunswick stew is too. But chitlins are disgusting. Trust me. They can cook chicken in more ways than you can ever imagine and it is usually outstanding.

Another thing you can get used to is the way a southern accent from a beautiful girl sounds in your ear. Holy grab your heart and give it a squeeze, you just want to take them home.

Very humid and hot in the summer, but easy to adjust to because you are far enough away from the ocean to have it dissipate a good bit. Speaking of the ocean, Myrtle Beach. Go there. You will thank me. It is a few hours drive, but worth the trip.

Drive your Corvette and take your guitar. It will be a weekend you never forget.

All in all, it's a great area John.

Hos,
You are right on the money about the drive down from Highlands,NC to Franklin,NC, thru the Cullasaja Gorge area. I drive it a couple of times a week, and it never fails to amaze me. Dry Falls has a new parking center,and a hugh portion of Bridal Veil Falls fell on the road a few years back,blocking the drive behind the falls for a few months. The big story,if you didn't know it,was the devestation hurricane Ivan caused a few years back to the Peeks Creek community down below Cullasaja Falls. It rained so hard that part of the mountain collapsed and blocked the Cullasaja river,creating a dam that finally broke loose,sending a wall of water down the river,flooding and burying Peeks Creek in mud. They still haven't found all the people!
We love this area!

tiny tim

Reaction score
I was born in Greenville South Carolina. I moved down to Florida was I was 18 months old. At times my parents have taken me to Greenville.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ologan;3464940 said:
Hos,
You are right on the money about the drive down from Highlands,NC to Franklin,NC, thru the Cullasaja Gorge area. I drive it a couple of times a week, and it never fails to amaze me. Dry Falls has a new parking center,and a hugh portion of Bridal Veil Falls fell on the road a few years back,blocking the drive behind the falls for a few months. The big story,if you didn't know it,was the devestation hurricane Ivan caused a few years back to the Peeks Creek community down below Cullasaja Falls. It rained so hard that part of the mountain collapsed and blocked the Cullasaja river,creating a dam that finally broke loose,sending a wall of water down the river,flooding and burying Peeks Creek in mud. They still haven't found all the people!
We love this area!
I lived in a log cabin in Franklin. It was heavenly.

I had not heard that about the flood. Frightening.

Do you agree that Highlands is a pretty little town? I loved it there. It was so beautiful when I visited.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
For the most part people are very friendly and helpful in the south with one exception, bumper stickers like this, "Keep The South Beautiful Put A Yankee On A Bus."

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Juke99;3464941 said:
I guess I'd be a trendsetter. :)
Nahh, you will become a statistic. One of the other millions in the south that have bought air conditioners. :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3465064 said:
For the most part people are very friendly and helpful in the south with one exception, bumper stickers like this, "Keep The South Beautiful Put Juke99 On A Bus."

Fixed it ;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;3465102 said:
Nahh, you will become a statistic. One of the other millions in the south that have bought air conditioners. :laugh2:

Or in the hospital for heat stroke :eek:

ologan

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3465064 said:
For the most part people are very friendly and helpful in the south with one exception, bumper stickers like this, "Keep The South Beautiful Put A Yankee On A Bus."

Or "I 'heart' NY? Take I-40 East". Or.."If They Call It Tourist Season,Why Can't We Hunt 'Em?"

ologan

Reaction score
Hostile;3465062 said:
I lived in a log cabin in Franklin. It was heavenly.

I had not heard that about the flood. Frightening.

Do you agree that Highlands is a pretty little town? I loved it there. It was so beautiful when I visited.

Highlands,and to some extent, Cashiers,NC are very beautiful towns. I do about 90% of my business in those two towns alone,because there's lots of moola there. And to those who talk about A/C,for the first 6 years here,we only needed fans. Of course, I live in the mountains!

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
nyc;3465102 said:

This!

I was never a big AC user in NY. I had them but only for the hottest days. Now the AC runs all the time. When it starts getting in the 80s outside, we gotta get the AC on.

When you go out in heat like this it's like getting hit in the face with a wet mop. I can't imagine being without AC down here.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Faerluna;3465132 said:
This!

I was never a big AC user in NY. I had them but only for the hottest days. Now the AC runs all the time. When it starts getting in the 80s outside, we gotta get the AC on.

When you go out in heat like this it's like getting hit in the face with a wet mop. I can't imagine being without AC down here.

It's funny. When I moved to NY and it was 85F outside, I told my wife (well, future wife at the time) I have to get an AC unit today. She looked at me like I was crazy. She said, "You're from Texas and you want an AC when it's only 85 degrees? I thought you would be used to the heat."

I had to correct her thinking since it was very flawed. I told her, "In Texas, it's always 95+ outside so the AC unit runs 24/7. Inside a house in Texas it's always 72F! If it's 85F in your house, it's damn hot!"

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ologan;3465119 said:
Highlands,and to some extent, Cashiers,NC are very beautiful towns. I do about 90% of my business in those two towns alone,because there's lots of moola there. And to those who talk about A/C,for the first 6 years here,we only needed fans. Of course, I live in the mountains!
Yeah, I remember there was a quite a bit of wealthy folks there. I always said if I ever moved to the East Coast I was going to live in Highlands.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Juke99;3464939 said:
Thanks. If I make it down there, I'll be sure to take you up on it.

Hey, I think the culture shock is part of what I'm looking for.

Tired tired of NY.

And mostly, I'm not a club or bar guy. I'm not looking to go down there to be on someone's bowling team.

Nice home, easy job, time to relax...that would be about the sum of what I'd wanna do.

In the Bible Belt, religion plays a more prominent role (link) and you'll see more of it in social situations / ceremonies that are treated as more secular elsewhere. You'll have people ask you to which church you go and you may encounter some people who want to help you find your church home. I'm not saying it is good, bad or a big deal, but probably it will differ from what you've encountered before.

Obviously you love football. College football in the Deep South truly is a great experience. You'll be located close to Clemson (and Furman). You owe it to yourself to give it a try -- Think about picking up some football season tickets. You'd have a great time and it'd help to get you acclimated.