Greenville SC...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99;3462580 said:
Anyone know anything about it?

Have a job offer there but moving from NY, to SC seems like it might be culture shock.

And I'm also wondering if they're still po'ed about the Civil War.

Thanks

This is why I hate Free Agency ... :D :D

-Reality

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
ZeroClub;3465159 said:
Obviously you love football. College football in the Deep South truly is a great experience. You'll be located close to Clemson (and Furman). You owe it to yourself to give it a try -- Think about picking up some football season tickets. You'd have a great time and it'd help to get you acclimated.

Highschool state champions have come from this area something crazy like 13 out of the last 15 years and 8 of them belong to the Byrnes Rebels.

Besides Furman and Clemson you also have Wofford University in Spartanburg that bosts a pretty rich tradition in the D3 SoCon Confrence. The University also plays host to the Carolina Panthers training camp.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
ZeroClub;3465159 said:
In the Bible Belt, religion plays a more prominent role (link) and you'll see more of it in social situations / ceremonies that are treated as more secular elsewhere. You'll have people ask you to which church you go and you may encounter some people who want to help you find your church home. I'm not saying it is good, bad or a big deal, but probably it will differ from what you've encountered before.

Obviously you love football. College football in the Deep South truly is a great experience. You'll be located close to Clemson (and Furman). You owe it to yourself to give it a try -- Think about picking up some football season tickets. You'd have a great time and it'd help to get you acclimated.

I think they would find it a distinctly difficult task to convert me to any church.

I'm not interested in any social events. I'd be interested in sitting in my den, writing books about dog training; recording music; watching Cowboy games; and eating Bon Bons.

I'm not a particularly social kinda guy. I consider going to the post office to buy stamps to be a social outing. ;)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Reality;3465160 said:
This is why I hate Free Agency ... :D :D

-Reality

Hey, you ain't seen nothing yet.

I've already been in touch with ESPN.

I'm gonna make my decision about whether or not I'm moving on live, prime time TV. :D

ologan

Reaction score
SDogo;3465172 said:
Highschool state champions have come from this area something crazy like 13 out of the last 15 years and 8 of them belong to the Byrnes Rebels.

Besides Furman and Clemson you also have Wofford University in Spartanburg that bosts a pretty rich tradition in the D3 SoCon Confrence. The University also plays host to the Carolina Panthers training camp.

And not too far up the road, northward, is a little school called Appalachian State. They normally have a fair football team.

BTW,speaking of Clemson, on a clear day, from the top of Black Rock Mountain state park in my home 20 of Clayton,Ga., you can see Clemson!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99;3465999 said:
Hey, you ain't seen nothing yet.

I've already been in touch with ESPN.

I'm gonna make my decision about whether or not I'm moving on live, prime time TV. :D

Time to call my film company and look back over that contract :D

-Reality

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ologan;3466042 said:
And not too far up the road, northward, is a little school called Appalachian State. They normally have a fair football team.

BTW,speaking of Clemson, on a clear day, from the top of Black Rock Mountain state park in my home 20 of Clayton,Ga., you can see Clemson!
I've been to Clayton.

ologan

Reaction score
Hostile;3466149 said:
I've been to Clayton.

If you come thru this way again,I'll buy you a BBQ plate or big sandwich at Oinkers BBQ restaurant. we had a friend come to town and asked what "Oinkers" was,and we told him it was a BBQ joint. He said "Whew...for a minute there, I thought it was the local equivalent of "Hooters" with mountain girls." After we stopped laughing,I told him to not say that too loud, cause the mountain girls will kick his ***!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ologan;3466230 said:
If you come thru this way again,I'll buy you a BBQ plate or big sandwich at Oinkers BBQ restaurant. we had a friend come to town and asked what "Oinkers" was,and we told him it was a BBQ joint. He said "Whew...for a minute there, I thought it was the local equivalent of "Hooters" with mountain girls." After we stopped laughing,I told him to not say that too loud, cause the mountain girls will kick his ***!
I actually think I have a picture from there. THere used to be a mechanics shop on the north side of town that had a two way car as his sign. They cut two 40's or 50s era sedans in half and welded them back together so each way was the front of a car.

I also had a picture of a sign in Dillard. It was done as a joke and I doubt it still stands. It said, "Dillard, Georgia. If you ain't family you ain't welcome, keep on driving."

:laugh2:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Juke99;3464231 said:
I'm a shut-in. I don't think the shock would impact me unless I didn't have central air conditioning.

;)

Are you willing to spend the money for vacations ? And you would have AC, it is not an option.

Juke99;3464939 said:
Hey, I think the culture shock is part of what I'm looking for.

Tired tired of NY.

And mostly, I'm not a club or bar guy. I'm not looking to go down there to be on someone's bowling team.

Nice home, easy job, time to relax...that would be about the sum of what I'd wanna do.

You will miss some of the what people call cultural experiences by not being able to just go see a show every night, or whatever. But there will be weekend trips you can take which will make up for it, and Charlotte or Atlanta would be able to fill that void.

You will be fine, I missed DC, so I go back often, I go to NY and Vegas every year, beach here and there. I like the lack of traffic, the cost of living, and the weather is much better than the places, I lived up North. Somebody lied about the heat though, it will take you a year or so to get used to.

ZeroClub;3465159 said:
In the Bible Belt, religion plays a more prominent role (link) and you'll see more of it in social situations / ceremonies that are treated as more secular elsewhere.

College football in the Deep South truly is a great experience. You'll be located close to Clemson (and Furman). You owe it to yourself to give it a try -- Think about picking up some football season tickets. You'd have a great time and it'd help to get you acclimated.

I have never had ANYONE ask me about my church and I have lived in the South for 6+ years this time, and 2 years previously, not including my condo in Miami (Not typical South though). The biggest problem is that you spend twice as much time at a store. Especially a grocery store.

Southern football can be good in the SEC, right now the ACC doesn't match up as well. Some good HS games though.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I take my wife to Texas and she says there is a church on every corner; sometimes three! She is also weirded out by the fact that many of them look like commercial buildings rather than actual churches. :laugh2:

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;3479233 said:
I have never had ANYONE ask me about my church and I have lived in the South for 6+ years this time, and 2 years previously, not including my condo in Miami (Not typical South though).

They come door to door here. I'm not talking Hare Krishnas, I'm talking Baptists, Methodists, et al. I've even gotten phone calls asking if I know Jesus, asking to share a bible verse, etc.

Definitely not New York. :D

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I have seen the door to door stuff, but not in my neighborhood.

Creepy if you ask me, especially when they make the little kids go with them.

giftofgab

Reaction score
I grew up in Greenville, but that was from 1975-1995. I thought it was great. I was born in NY (Long Island).

You are centrally located to lakes (waterskiing, fishing), mountains (snowskiing), Atl & Charlotte are 2 hours in opposite directions. Myrtle Beach & Charleston are about 3 hours away.

Plus you get all 4 seasons.

Sports wise? Only Red Sox single A team. But you are close to the SEC (S. Carolina) & ACC (Clemson).

ologan

Reaction score
giftofgab;3489776 said:
I grew up in Greenville, but that was from 1975-1995. I thought it was great. I was born in NY (Long Island).

You are centrally located to lakes (waterskiing, fishing), mountains (snowskiing), Atl & Charlotte are 2 hours in opposite directions. Myrtle Beach & Charleston are about 3 hours away.

Sports wise? Only Red Sox single A team. But you are close to the SEC (S. Carolina) & ACC (Clemson).

Welcome,gift!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
giftofgab;3489776 said:

I have never understood this comment. I get all 4 seasons too.

Pre-season
Regular season
Post-season
Off-season

:welcome: to The Zone. Don't mind me, I'm just an addict who sees things through pigskin colored glasses.

ologan

Reaction score
Hostile;3490094 said:
I have never understood this comment. I get all 4 seasons too.

Pre-season
Regular season
Post-season
Off-season

:welcome: to The Zone. Don't mind me, I'm just an addict who sees things through pigskin colored glasses.

Heck, up here in the mountains, we get six seasons......Summer, fall, huntin', winter, spring, and spring turkey season.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
ologan;3490528 said:
Heck, up here in the mountains, we get six seasons......Summer, fall, huntin', winter, spring, and spring turkey season.

Is that a banjo I hear?