Video: Greg Cosell on Mazi Smith

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Not sure I love the Dontari Poe comparison. Mazi is not that big fat guy that Poe was. Poe was 346 coming out of college. I see Mazi as more athletic than Poe.
I agree with your point, but I’d love for him to be Vita Vea

blueblood70

Reaction score
Greg Cosell is very high on Mazi.

Mods: please correct Smith's last name in the title :)

thats a LONG azz video and i cannot find the Mazi part at all. What PART OF THE VIDEO do they talk about him other than quick hit at the end? sounds to me from they said Mazi sounds like the defensive version of Tyler smith, fans think its bad move like a reach or project but those who break down film and take payers measurables and traits into account ,they will be better NFL players then they are projected as.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
thats a LONG azz video and i cannot find the Mazi part at all. What PART OF THE VIDEO do they talk about him other than quick hit at the end? sounds to me from they said Mazi sounds like the defensive version of Tyler smith, fans think its bad move like a reach or project but those who break down film and take payers measurables and traits into account ,they will be better NFL players then they are projected as.
The link I provide should start right when yhey are discussing Mazi. If the link doesn't then it starts at 21:09.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Poe was good for a bit just always hurt if I remember right. By the time he showed up here dude was done
He started 15 games or more in 6 of his 9 seasons, and had another 13 game season. Basically had 2 seasons where he didn't play much and they were his final 2 seasons. He just really wasn't that good. Certainly not worth a 1st round pick.

817Gill

Reaction score
Not sure I love the Dontari Poe comparison. Mazi is not that big fat guy that Poe was. Poe was 346 coming out of college. I see Mazi as more athletic than Poe.
Did y’all do any looking into Dontari Poe’s draft profile? One of the most athletic freaks ever measured at the combine lmao dude ran a 4.87 at 345+. This is a great comp as he was a pro bowler and during his prime a darn good player. He had a career before coming here fellas.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/15-most-athletic-freaks-nfl-combine-history

https://syndication.bleacherreport....nd-strength-solidifies-top-20-status.amp.html

Trajan

Reaction score
Look, I don't know the kid, never heard of him or watched any of the Michigan games, and frankly as a University of Texas at Austin grad, only know anything about UT players. Therefore my meaningless judgment is he is not very good. I had hoped Robinson fell too us :(

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think it’s not difficult to see why our scouts in particular McClay would have Smith as a top 20 player. Guys with that combination of size power and movement skills are rare.
Yah and we know Quinn like guys with all the athletic traits that with some coaching he things can be unreal.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Greg Cosell on Taco Charlton

11. Cosell is a fan of Taco Charlton, but doesn't know if he's on the Eagles' radar.
"I really like Taco Charlton. He may not be, if you're going to do Wide-9, an exact fit," Cosell said. "I think he can be a very good pass rusher. I think because of his size and length he can move inside as well and become a rusher from the d-tackle position."
So Cosell is you basically?

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree with your point, but I’d love for him to be Vita Vea
I want to see what he weighs in at once camp starts. If he comes in at 320, as they claim he is now, I think the comparisons will change. If he weighs in at 340 or in that area, then we can talk about Dontari Poe and Vita Vea.

Creeper

Reaction score
Poe was good for a bit just always hurt if I remember right. By the time he showed up here dude was done
Poe was really good when he was younger. If he Mazi is as good as Poe early in his career we should be very happy. I just don't see Mazi as the same player. Not good or bad, just not the same unless he bulks up quite a bit.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Awesome pick. They finally drafted a big, strong guy in the middle

ghst187

Reaction score
I’m sure a lot of people sitting on their couch will disagree
Yep we do, the TCU tape doesn’t lie.
And as someone else pointed out, same dude loved Taco coming out soooooo….
I haven’t hated a pick this much in a long time. If nothing else, trade down, he’d still be there.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Poe was really good when he was younger. If he Mazi is as good as Poe early in his career we should be very happy. I just don't see Mazi as the same player. Not good or bad, just not the same unless he bulks up quite a bit.
Mazi can be as good as he wants. A freakish athlete for his size with tremendous power.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Poe was a freak. He ran a 4.98 forty at 346 pounds.
- He had 44 bench reps.

He had some good years in the NFL. The years he stayed in shape and was not injured.
- He gave Martin & Frederick all they could handle back in about 2014.

kumizi

Reaction score
I guess I’m the only one that has no idea who Greg Cosell is

Bigdog

Reaction score
I think it’s not difficult to see why our scouts in particular McClay would have Smith as a top 20 player. Guys with that combination of size power and movement skills are rare.
Yes it is. He just needs to show it on the field. Time will tell.