Greg Ellis now becomes our DE again...

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Remember, La'Roi Glover was too small for NT ....

:rolleyes:

It's going to be about rotation, rotation, rotation - with multiple looks to confuse the defense. We're stacked with talent up front.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Rack;1477055 said:
No, he can't... by his OWN admission. If he says he doesn't fit DE in that Defense, then I'm pretty sure he doesn't fit DE in that defense. You have more confidence in him then he has in himself.

He doesn't fit that defense as a permanent, every down guy at DE in the 3-4. I grant you that. But he would be a guy that you could play at linebacker and defensive end. Some of these formations are sort of 3-4/4-3 at the same time. You have this John Madden video game notion that you're clinging to in your head or something.

I'm not saying that he's going to take over and start, but that he'll be part of a rotation - if healthy. And that, perhaps, he could rotate into the DE spot as well as the outside rusher spot... since we have ware and spencer coming from the outside. But think about the possibilities of Ellis as in inside backer in the 3-4, as well. Basically, he could play almost any position well, imo, with the exception of DT, which I think he'd to fair at. He's an all around athlete. And I think you're off base on your assessment of his actual skills. No one thought he could be a LB either.....

You're comparing what Ellis has done in the past - and in the 4-3 - to what Canty and Spears do in a 3-4. Extremely silly.
Not at all. Of course, the scheme is different. But Ellis has proven to be able to perform at two positions. And the reason that he didn't play DE in the 3-4 is b/c we could get the best men on the field with him at LB and Canty/Spears at DE. You know, the best players on the field theory....

On average, 3-4 DEs don't put up the numbers that 4-3 DEs put up. So you're remembering all these "Plays" Ellis made while in the 4-3 and wondering why our THREE-FOUR DEs aren't putting up the same numbers. Simple, 3-4 DEs usually DON'T put up as big of numbers as 4-3 DEs (sound like a broken record?).
I'm talking about Ellis' abilities in general as compared to Canty and Spears. Neither have warranted the praise of being the quality of player that Ellis is/was.

Play this schematic game all you want. Leroi Glover was an exception to these kind of generalizations that you make. So is Ellis.

Ellis exceeds both Spears and Canty as far as talent level goes. And i think he'd fit quite nicely, in a rotation, at end.

As I said, we'll disagree. But remember this post when the season comes around.

Funny you mention Parcells... he's the guy that moved Ellis to OLB ... in the 3-4. I guess that man you so admire also didn't feel Ellis could play DE in the 3-4.
No, I think that guy wanted to put the best 7 players on the line and do it by whatever means that he saw would effectively work, schematically. And so he had to move a few guys around. We were blessed to get Canty and he gave us some flexibility with Ellis. But had Canty not fallen to us, we wouldn't have seen Ellis at LB.

He can play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE, but not 4-3 OLB or 3-4 DE.
so says the man with the crystal ball...

Pretty much an ignorant statement being that Ellis played OUTSIDE LINEBACKER last year and both Canty and Spears played DEFENSIVE END... in the 3-4.
No, what is ignorant is that you don't see the dynamics of the situation. And you're making it into a 3-4 vs 4-3 issue. When it comes down to it, we have a very versatile player in Ellis. The ignorance lies in you inability to recognize talent and a player's ability's and how they apply to a defensive scheme, rotations and so forth....

That's what's ignorant.

By the way, 3-4 Outside Linebackers usually put up bigger numbers then 3-4 DEs.
I'm saying that Greg Ellis could put up, at the very least, the unspectacular numbers, as well as be an effective gap clogger as our two busts, Canty and Spears.

His "actions" (aka stats) are irrelevent being that they are either from him playing DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4. He played half a season as a DE in the 3-4 (and played most as just a nickel rusher about halfway through the season).
You're a broken record. And you're spinning around in circles. I'm talking about his ability to play in a rotation, at LB and at DE. In a scheme that give the opposition different looks.

You obviously don't have a very innovative football mind.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Rack;1477055 said:
No, he can't... by his OWN admission. If he says he doesn't fit DE in that Defense, then I'm pretty sure he doesn't fit DE in that defense. You have more confidence in him then he has in himself.

He doesn't fit that defense as a permanent, every down guy at DE in the 3-4. I grant you that. But he would be a guy that you could play at linebacker and defensive end. Some of these formations are sort of 3-4/4-3 at the same time. You have this John Madden video game notion that you're clinging to in your head or something.

I'm not saying that he's going to take over and start, but that he'll be part of a rotation - if healthy. And that, perhaps, he could rotate into the DE spot as well as the outside rusher spot... since we have ware and spencer coming from the outside. But think about the possibilities of Ellis as in inside backer in the 3-4, as well. Basically, he could play almost any position well, imo, with the exception of DT, which I think he'd to fair at. He's an all around athlete. And I think you're off base on your assessment of his actual skills. No one thought he could be a LB either.....

You're comparing what Ellis has done in the past - and in the 4-3 - to what Canty and Spears do in a 3-4. Extremely silly.
Not at all. Of course, the scheme is different. But Ellis has proven to be able to perform at two positions. And the reason that he didn't play DE in the 3-4 is b/c we could get the best men on the field with him at LB and Canty/Spears at DE. You know, the best players on the field theory....

On average, 3-4 DEs don't put up the numbers that 4-3 DEs put up. So you're remembering all these "Plays" Ellis made while in the 4-3 and wondering why our THREE-FOUR DEs aren't putting up the same numbers. Simple, 3-4 DEs usually DON'T put up as big of numbers as 4-3 DEs (sound like a broken record?).

I'm talking about Ellis' abilities in general as compared to Canty and Spears. Neither have warranted the praise of being the quality of player that Ellis is/was.

Play this schematic game all you want. Leroi Glover was an exception to these kind of generalizations that you make. So is Ellis.

Ellis exceeds both Spears and Canty as far as talent level goes. And i think he'd fit quite nicely, in a rotation, at end.

As I said, we'll disagree. But remember this post when the season comes around.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Man, I haven't slept in almost 48 hours, why you gotta put up long replies?

:D

I'll reply to that stuff later. Too tirednow.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to be pessimistic here, but IF (big if) Ellis does even return to football, he'll never be the same. That injury is a BAD. I know guys who have had it. Time will tell.

lspain1

Reaction score
Sarge;1477077 said:
Not to be pessimistic here, but IF (big if) Ellis does even return to football, he'll never be the same. That injury is a BAD. I know guys who have had it. Time will tell.

I agree completely. The selection of Spencer is NOT:

1. a lack of confidence in Carpenter
2. a lack of confidence in Ellis

Last year the Cowboys were OK when Ellis was in and pretty bad when he was gone. This indicates we needed more pass rushers to both provide depth and more flexibility in the scheme (everyone knew where the "better" rush would come from).

Folks are either trying to read the pick as a negative on who we have or trying to defend our folks. I don't think either is needed. The LB position is the most important in a 3-4 defense. We simply weren't deep enough at the position to handle the injury, and I happen to think Zimmer/Parcells scheme made the situation somewhat worse.

I hope Ellis returns but the Cowboys would have been foolish to count on it. Carpenter's skill was not a critical factor in Spencer's selection IMO. We'll see what happens in camp but I think we are going to like what we see. Well like it even better if Ellis comes back.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nelps45;1474394 said:
Anyone else think that since we got Anthony Spencer, he is going to replace Greg Ellis at OLB and play a Demarcus Ware type role and Greg Ellis is going to become our starting defensive end? I would imagine Ellis would start over Canty or Spears and there would possibly be a rotation. Thoughts?
:welcome: to the forum.