Gregory for 15 million or Williams and Fowler for 5 Million?

CapnB

Reaction score
How is someone supposed to make an opinion on something like this? Nothing to go by with De.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Gregory has a great year in Denver and Sam and Fowler do nothing special...than it was a loss.
If the reverse happens it is a win.
If Gregory has about the same numbers as Fowler and Williams it is a win as it will be for cheaper.

Motorola

Reaction score
Amazing (not really) how everyone is not that big of a Randy Gregory fan now.

It seems like yesterday we were still pretending he was a productive pass rusher.
There were so many in favor of keeping Gregory as he worked through his issues because due to his situation, he didn’t take up a roster spot for those half-dozen years. There were others on his side because it was going against the commissioner.

quickccc

Reaction score
Anyone still complaining about losing Gregory? You could probably argue that we actually got Williams, Fowler, Armstrong, Kearse for the price of Gregory.

Its not even close for me.

I'd complain, but good does that do now ? It's a done deal, we could not make the deal, we could not keep him here,
and it's best to move on to other options. And the cowboys are trying to do that.
i think our best chances for a pass rush will come within Parsons, DLaw, Fowler and rookie Williams.

What i'd really like and we really need is someone from the interior to step it up and that's very likely gonna come
from Osa and Gallimore.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone still complaining about losing Gregory? You could probably argue that we actually got Williams, Fowler, Armstrong, Kearse for the price of Gregory.

If Dan Quinn had a guarantee that they would draft Sam Williams, he would not have been concerned about retaining Gregory.

If you saw the video of Quinn working Williams out at the Pro Day or the video of Quinn and Williams together at the Cowboys facility, it is obvious Williams was "The Guy".
  • It reminds me of a Jimmy story about Campo coming back from Arizona State after seeing Darren Woodson.
    • Jimmy said Campo was bouncing off the walls exclaiming: 'Jimmy...ya gotta get this guy' "

200w.gif

Pass2Run

Reaction score
In the long run, we fared better because we got a player with similar ability as Gregory, who's younger, at a cheaper price.

And, we also added Fowler behind him.

Proof

Reaction score
When it was argued keeping Gregory over Schultz in FA I didn’t know what games people were watching . Schultz shows up every week gets open stretched then chains found the end zone and is “ Dak Friendly “ and that 140 million project .

Would have preferred Cedric Wilson over Gallup that’s me . As far as Gregory the overall production did not fit the price .

Schulz benefitted from being surrounded by wr talent and being the 4th - 5th option. We could get that out of any serviceable TE w/out paying market rate.

Randy was a truly disruptive (last year) which allowed for our defense to do some special things

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory is a penalties magnet. He had two huge penalties against the Niners. Also a big one where he literally cost Dallas the game earlier in the season. His ego will eventually catch up to him. It always does with these type of personalities.
Gregory has terrific physical ability but he has the maturity level of a 13 year old girl obsessed with boy bands.

He had multiple games in his career where he had a meltdown that resulted in multiple penalties.
- Once he got a penalty or a teammate got a penalty, he would meltdown.
- In the Niners game there was a bad call against another Cowboys player, and Gregory started pointing at the refs and running his mouth.
- Players will always lose if they challenge the refs.

kskboys

Reaction score
In a nutshell, Gregory is not the type of player you build a team around. Doesn't matter if he would've made the team better in the short term, in all likelihood we would've sorely regretting paying him in short order. When you have an undependable player such as Gregory you do not pay him big, and you do not sign him to a long term contract. It was time to move on and get some other more dependable players.

DanA

Reaction score
I feel like Gregory got "sure thing" money when he's never actual proven it on the field for a sustained period of time. He has the upside, but you really need him to be a consistent 8-12 sack player for the pay check he got and I have my doubts. Time as always will tell though.

kskboys

Reaction score
I feel like Gregory got "sure thing" money when he's never actual proven it on the field for a sustained period of time. He has the upside, but you really need him to be a consistent 8-12 sack player for the pay check he got and I have my doubts. Time as always will tell though.
At this point in his career, no way is Gregory worth 13 mil/season. That's double his value at this point.

It would've been stupid to pay for potential at this point in his career.

Jarntt

Reaction score

That really doesn't make sense. We may or may not have signed one or both of Armstrong and Fowler in addition to Gregory any way and certainly if we liked Williams that much might have still drafted him. So it isn't Gregory vs all of those guys. Also, how do you get $5M for all of them? If you are using their cap hit instead of their annual salary (Armstrong is getting $6M per) then you need to do the same with Gregory which is only $6M for this year.

Proof

Reaction score
Since there was no one, we should've traded back, as many of us wanted to do.
I actually forgot that Tunsil was in the same draft. Buckner and Ramsey were there for the taking as well

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Gregory was a legitimate edge rusher, he would of hit that benchmark of 10 sacks if he didn't miss so many games, it's still unknown if we have effectively replaced him. Armstrong has been a jag since he arrived, Fowler is coming off of a terrible season and Sam Williams is a developmental prospect at this juncture. Time will tell, the long game looks good, but we probably are going to take a step back next season at the position.

I would agree that Gregory was a legitimate edge rusher. FOR 1 season ONLY. I also agree he hits 10 sacks. But probably not much more then that.

Armstrong had 5 sacks I believe. That being said, I have no problem taking a step back for a year, or half a year at the position. Too many fans are over worried about immediate returns. Its the long game that matters.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We could have had all of them

Take from peter to pay paul. In order to sign gregory, holes would have popped up in other places. Unless of course you dont care about the salary cap or roster building. Im glad for once that Jerry isnt going for it all every year. That method hasnt worked.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd complain, but good does that do now ? It's a done deal, we could not make the deal, we could not keep him here,
and it's best to move on to other options. And the cowboys are trying to do that.
i think our best chances for a pass rush will come within Parsons, DLaw, Fowler and rookie Williams.

What i'd really like and we really need is someone from the interior to step it up and that's very likely gonna come
from Osa and Gallimore.

I see the best 3rd down pass rushing line being................Parsons, Osa/Gallimore, Lawrence, Williams.

I think they move Lawrence inside. Or you could keep Lawrence outside and blitz Parsons up the middle, which is probably the most effective option.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Dan Quinn had a guarantee that they would draft Sam Williams, he would not have been concerned about retaining Gregory.

If you saw the video of Quinn working Williams out at the Pro Day or the video of Quinn and Williams together at the Cowboys facility, it is obvious Williams was "The Guy".
  • It reminds me of a Jimmy story about Campo coming back from Arizona State after seeing Darren Woodson.
    • Jimmy said Campo was bouncing off the walls exclaiming: 'Jimmy...ya gotta get this guy' "

200w.gif

Yep..........that is what I am trying to get people to see on here. The Gregory issue is over. Williams is a great young option and we also were able to retain Armstrong and Fowler.

Now if we move onto the loss of Connor Williams we replaced him with Tyler Smith. Which to me is an even bigger win then the Williams situation.

So really what are we really talking about here with a drop in talent? The only legitimate drop in talent comes with the loss of Cooper replaced by Tolbert. Which I dont think anyone can argue at least short term, is a drop. But with pass catchers being one of our deepest positions and having Lamb sitting right there primed for the #1 spot, to me its not a big deal. And what we gained in salary cap savings makes it the win for me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That really doesn't make sense. We may or may not have signed one or both of Armstrong and Fowler in addition to Gregory any way and certainly if we liked Williams that much might have still drafted him. So it isn't Gregory vs all of those guys. Also, how do you get $5M for all of them? If you are using their cap hit instead of their annual salary (Armstrong is getting $6M per) then you need to do the same with Gregory which is only $6M for this year.

The 5 million was in regards to Williams and Fowler. Fowler is 3 million and I am guessing Williams will be around 2. As far as Armstrong, I just put him in there with Kearse as guys we were able to retain with the savings we had by not having to sign Gregory. I dont think we sign Armstrong if we retain Gregory.