Griner sentenced to 9 years

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's not as though we don't punish our own, even in recent history, for similar things on repeat offenses. Why should Russia be any different when a foreigner does it?

Either way, she was anti-nationalist, anti-YT, and now she can be imprisoned and blocked from the country she hates and people she despises. She should be happy.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Sucks for her and the punishment is absolutely ridiculous but when you go to another country you play by their rules.

Her sentence is obviously more political than it is just. You won't convince me that Russians are treated the same way with their drug policies.

Guess that's why you shouldn't travel to countries that are ruled by a dictator. It kinda sucks.

Well yeah, she wasn't charged with simple possession, but smuggling as well. Not exactly something you can charge your own citizens with. Russia's smuggling laws aren't that vastly different than in the US, which is up to 5 years. Most countries don't play games with this stuff - if Russia is a dictatorship for this, the US is as well. I would also say that Russia is pretty similar to their own citizens when it comes to hard drug possession as the US.

terra

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I lived and worked in Russia shortly after the breakup up of the FSU, married a Russian (that had previously immigrated to Canada) and, at least until the Russian Ukrainian war, traveled to Russia every few years to see family.

Now, do I belive BG is a pawn in the greater Russian/US politics? Without question.

Do I think 9+ years is harsh punishment for her crime? Yes. However, it is not an outlier in the Russian judicial system.

Do I think she was unlawfully detained? No. She was carrying banned drugs and admitted to doing so. She broke the law.

Do I think she accidentally packed the banned items. No, but that is purely speculation on my part. I know when I travel to Russia (or, any other country for that matter), all medications are packed in their original containers and I am careful not to pack any banned items. I even leave my non-THC CBD ointment at home over concerns it may trigger questions from border officials.

I have mixed views on the US government's response to BG's situation. First, I believe they are playing directly into Putin's hands. Second, we have other US citizens detained elsewhere overseas. Where is the US government response to them?
sorry dude but everyone I know that does pot always knows where its at. So the idea she forgot is BS.
Now is she a political pawn? OF course. The more the media and idiots whine about her the more leverage Putin has.
Anyone not realizing smuggling drugs into another country is beyond stupid is a total moron. Despite all the claims about pot being non addictive I notice that any of my friends that smoke regularly and are out of it tend to be very jumpy and desperate for more.

kskboys

Reaction score
sorry dude but everyone I know that does pot always knows where its at. So the idea she forgot is BS.
Now is she a political pawn? OF course. The more the media and idiots whine about her the more leverage Putin has.
Anyone not realizing smuggling drugs into another country is beyond stupid is a total moron. Despite all the claims about pot being non addictive I notice that any of my friends that smoke regularly and are out of it tend to be very jumpy and desperate for more.
I'm presently witnessing an old friend run his previously thriving business into the ground due to pot.

Anyone w/ even a single brain cell knows you don't mess w/ the laws in other countries, especially Russia and China. Those repressive regimes just don't care about human rights or suffering or anything of the sort.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's not as though we don't punish our own, even in recent history, for similar things on repeat offenses. Why should Russia be any different when a foreigner does it?

Either way, she was anti-nationalist, anti-YT, and now she can be imprisoned and blocked from the country she hates and people she despises. She should be happy.
That's pretty close to how I feel. Maybe she'll appreciate what she has/had when she gets out?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That's pretty close to how I feel. Maybe she'll appreciate what she has/had when she gets out?

She won't and with how upset people are about this, they'll eventually make a deal to get her release and she'll become even more of a partisan mouthpiece.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Well yeah, she wasn't charged with simple possession, but smuggling as well. Not exactly something you can charge your own citizens with. Russia's smuggling laws aren't that vastly different than in the US, which is up to 5 years. Most countries don't play games with this stuff - if Russia is a dictatorship for this, the US is as well. I would also say that Russia is pretty similar to their own citizens when it comes to hard drug possession as the US.

Russia isn't a dictatorship because of this. Its a dictatorship because its actually a dictatorship. If you think different, you're out of your mind.

terra

Reaction score
Russia isn't a dictatorship because of this. Its a dictatorship because its actually a dictatorship. If you think different, you're out of your mind.

To be blunt Russia has always been a dictatorship. Never really been anything else. From the Czars to the Communists to Putin and whoever.
In the end I agree with the old saying that most times people get the government they deserve.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

First off, I was countering your example of WHY you were labeling it a dictatorship there - if Russia is a dictatorship for holding foreigners more accountable than their own citizens, then the US and nearly every country on Earth is a dictatorship.

But to be technical here, no, Russia is not a "dictatorship". You can talk about Russia being corrupt, but they hold elections and they vote people into power. Whether those elections are rigged, well, sufficient evidence would be needed to determine this and I don't think the US or anyone on this board (including me) can determine that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
To be blunt Russia has always been a dictatorship. Never really been anything else. From the Czars to the Communists to Putin and whoever.
In the end I agree with the old saying that most times people get the government they deserve.

....yeah, you know, especially when people are voting said government into power. You know, like Russians.

Hard to have a dictatorship when the vast majority of people are agreeing with the "dictator".

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Griner doesnt have the character to be a real figure outside partisan circles. She isnt someone the center is going to listen to

The establishment has never cared about character, same as the GOP - it's just about recognizable names. Greta Thunberg has the personality/character of a wet paper towel, but she was used as a mouthpiece for a few years.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The establishment has never cared about character, same as the GOP - it's just about recognizable names. Greta Thunberg has the personality/character of a wet paper towel, but she was used as a mouthpiece for a few years.
Thats because right and left partisans speak in sophistry. And thats all they really understand

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Griner doesnt have the character to be a real figure outside partisan circles. She isnt someone the center is going to listen to
Griner isn't a political figure. She's an athlete and an American.
Russia is using her has a political pawn, thus the insane sentence even by Russian law.
They charged her with trafficking for what is very clearly personal use amounts of cannabis oil.

What she did was dumb but not 9 years worth of dumb.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Griner isn't a political figure. She's an athlete and an American.
Russia is using her has a political pawn, thus the insane sentence even by Russian law.
They charged her with trafficking for what is very clearly personal use amounts of cannabis oil.

What she did was dumb but not 9 years worth of dumb.
Dont disagree at all. Was just stating I dont see her being an effective mouthpeice like mattjames thinks

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dont disagree at all. Was just stating I dont see her being an effective mouthpeice like mattjames thinks

I'm not saying she will be effective, I don't think most of the public figures are effective as of late - but she will still be used.

I also think the line between political figures and other professions has blurred at this point. She's not a political figure, but she sure is an activist as many celebrities are now.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First off, I was countering your example of WHY you were labeling it a dictatorship there - if Russia is a dictatorship for holding foreigners more accountable than their own citizens, then the US and nearly every country on Earth is a dictatorship.

But to be technical here, no, Russia is not a "dictatorship". You can talk about Russia being corrupt, but they hold elections and they vote people into power. Whether those elections are rigged, well, sufficient evidence would be needed to determine this and I don't think the US or anyone on this board (including me) can determine that.

The 1993 Russian constitution declared the nation to be a federated democracy with three branches of government: legislative, judicial and executive.

Since that time, Putin has served as President for 18 years (2000-2008 and 2012-present). He served as Prime Minister for 5 years (1999 under Boris Yeltin and 2008-2012 "under" Medvedev).

The constitution has been amended multiple times under Putin for the express purpose of extending his reign (the keys changes allowed the President to serve more than two terms and extended the term in office from 4 to 6 years).

While each of the recent presidential elections have multiple candidates and parties running for office, the outcome has never been in doubt with Putin winning more than 75% of the vote.

While technically not a dictatorship, there is no doubt that Rusia has moved backwards to an authoritarian form of government.

Hardline

Reaction score
I don't know why you brought the GOP into this. We don't elect morons like AOC and think late night talk shows is a real news source.
There is no moral equivalence between what is happening to whats happening in Russia to the GOP. Which is going to win in a landslide numbers in the midterms.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The 1993 Russian constitution declared the nation to be a federated democracy with three branches of government: legislative, judicial and executive.

Since that time, Putin has served as President for 18 years (2000-2008 and 2012-present). He served as Prime Minister for 5 years (1999 under Boris Yeltin and 2008-2012 "under" Medvedev).

The constitution has been amended multiple times under Putin for the express purpose of extending his reign (the keys changes allowed the President to serve more than two terms and extended the term in office from 4 to 6 years).

While each of the recent presidential elections have multiple candidates and parties running for office, the outcome has never been in doubt with Putin winning more than 75% of the vote.

While technically not a dictatorship, there is no doubt that Rusia has moved backwards to an authoritarian form of government.

I don't disagree about authoritarian, but the simple fact is, the majority of the citizens in Russia agree and vote for this authoritarianism. I think people in the US just need to realize that a good majority of Russia simply likes Putin.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really didn't know what Griner's stance on anything American as I don't follow the WNBA, but I did catch a clip of her stating she could beat DeMarcus Cousins 1 on 1 and called him a "little man". Cousins was an all-star in the NBA then. I then watched Cousins do what NBA players do, and then watched Griner "dunking" in games. Granted she dunked when there were no defenders within miles of her and she is 6'10" and even then she barely cleared the rim. She couldn't even dunk a ball for a reporter when she had plenty of space to make her jump. A group of HS boys state champions would demolish the WNBA champions. HS boys play above the rim. They're faster, quicker, stronger, and just better basketball players. Since her stupid comment years ago I thought she had a very inflated ego of herself.

The penalty is harsh and I really doubt she serves the complete sentence, but the attention she is getting compared to others is nauseating.