Gun Guru's, need advice...

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I have discussed this with my wife for several months now.

There are a few homes fairly close to my house that have had break in and invasions over the last couple months. One recently hit way too close to home. They were friends of ours and home at the time.

Also, those that know me know my story of a friend I lost not too long ago. I still believe if he was armed he would be with us today.

I'll be the first to admit, I know nothing about guns. Shot one only once but have already looked into several safety courses I want to take and have spoken to others about gun safety at home because I do have children.

I'm not one that is interested in game shooting and I dont need anything that is going to put down an elephant.

I just want something easy to use, efficient and something even my wife can learn to use.

It's also not something I plan on carrying with me when I leave the house. Maybe down the road but I'm not comfortable with that idea yet.

Any suggestions?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
A shotgun. You don't need a ton of skill and no one will be brave enough to face one down.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
As some may know, I did quite a bit of research on "home defense" when I bought my first house last July and finally bought my first gun a few months ago (Mossberg 500 Shotgun).

After I did my research, which consisted of the Internet, talking with folks here at Cowboyszone, Gun Ranges and Gun Stores, most recommended a Shotgun for home defense. I am told that Shotguns are easier to handle, operate and clean. The theory is that all you have to do is aim in the general direction and by the very nature of Shotguns, it should hit the target.

Also, a revolver came up quite a bit, so that may be something you may want to consider as well.

However, I don't have kids, so that is something you definitely have to consider.

Also, as I did, before you even purchase the gun, you should get in contact with someone adroit at using weapons, who can teach you how to safely handle your weapon and become familiar with the Gun Laws of your State, no matter if you plan to use the gun for home defense or as a concealed weapon.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Hostile beat me to it. Get a pump action shotgun. 12/20 Gage use buckshot.

kimorah86

Reaction score
If dont have kids in the house i say get more than one for different rooms in the house. One room wit a shutgun

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
A kid can harm themselves with a handgun. It is very doubtful they could with a shotgun.

An intruder will run from the sound of that pump. He doesn't even have to see you. Shotguns are scary.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
You can get a shotgun that holds about 8 shells. Go to Academy or a local gun store and get one of those pistol-gripped short barrell shotguns.

12.JPG

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Hostile;3324544 said:
A kid can harm themselves with a handgun. It is very doubtful they could with a shotgun.

An intruder will run from the sound of that pump. He doesn't even have to see you. Shotguns are scary.

Carpet cleaning not included. :)

kimorah86

Reaction score
I can't even have the tv up loud and turn my head and somebody up there **** a shotgun i would run out the house

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
kimorah86;3324561 said:
I can't even have the tv up loud and turn my head and somebody up there **** a shotgun i would run out the house

What?

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
I've been looking at this gun for a while. It's built from lightweight aluminum and high tech polymer. It's very light. It's a .38 and only holds 5 rounds but it's a simple design and should be very reliable.

ruger-lcr-419x297.jpg

This is the same gun but with a laser sight. I looked at them both a few days ago. The button for the laser makes the gun hard to grip if you have larger hands. I won't be getting it.

rugerLCRLG.jpg

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Jon88;3324574 said:
I've been looking at this gun for a while. It's built from lightweight aluminum and high tech polymer. It's very light. It's a .38 and only holds 5 rounds but it's a simple design and should be very reliable.

ruger-lcr-419x297.jpg

This is the same gun but with a laser sight. I looked at them both a few days ago. The button for the laser makes the gun hard to grip if you have larger hands. I won't be getting it.

rugerLCRLG.jpg

Forget about lasers And lights on guns.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Good advice here. Mossberg pump is a classic home defense gun. Hell, my mother has one, and a 5 shot .38 with CCL for when she's out.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
arglebargle;3324736 said:
Good advice here. Mossberg pump is a classic home defense gun. Hell, my mother has one, and a 5 shot .38 with CCL for when she's out.

lol is she Ma Barker?

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;3324560 said:
Carpet cleaning not included. :)

I imagine hearing a shotgun pump action worked when you're somewhere you shouldn't be is akin to hearing a rattlesnake let you know it's there when you're in thick brush. Them hairs on the back of your neck is climbing over each other to stand up the tallest.

This discussion came up a few weeks back and I was talking about it at work with some of the guys. One of their sister's had to use a shotgun in home defense 7-8 years ago when her husband was at work. She emptied a semi-auto without the plug into one guy at near point blank with combo slugs/buckshot.

He said they tore the walls down to bare studs to get the room where the shooting happened cleaned properly. He had some pretty grisly details and they ended up calling in a professional so they could get a biohazard remediation certification.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I had a guy at a gun store tell me double action revolver is the best option because it can be stored loaded with out any problems or maintainance because the springs are always relaxed and it's always ready to go with a pull of the trigger.

It seems it would be easy to hide and secure.

You guys have peaked my interest about shotguns but I'm worried about securing it. I will have to look into the options unless anyone has some suggestions.