Gun Guru's, need advice...

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
SDogo;3324905 said:
I had a guy at a gun store tell me double action revolver is the best option because it can be stored loaded with out any problems or maintainance because the springs are always relaxed and it's always ready to go with a pull of the trigger.

It seems it would be easy to hide and secure.

You guys have peaked my interest about shotguns but I'm worried about securing it. I will have to look into the options unless anyone has some suggestions.

It comes down to a few things. You can lock the trigger guard, run a type of plastic plug into the receiver that a kid shouldn't be able to remove with their strength, lock the shells separate from the gun itself, use the loop locks that are steel cables that prevent the action from being worked so you can still keep shells in the magazine but not in the chamber, etc.

It comes down to what you are comfortable with safety wise versus the immediacy of availability you want from the weapon.

But like many have echoed here, a shotgun is by far the most adaptive to home defense.

burmafrd

Reaction score
One problem with a pump- the wife (or you) might not remember to pump the rd in the chamber in the stress of the moment. That is why I think a double barrelled 12 GA with 00 Buck is the best answer. Simpler to use and will stop anything and you still have 2 shots.

kapolani

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a shotgun for HD.

I have a Benelli M4 for just that purpose.

It's semi-auto so my wife doesn't have to think. Just keep pulling the trigger until no more boom boom.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The following isn't to dissuade you, only to help ensure you know know how serious the risks involved are in having a loaded weapon in your home.

Between 2001 and 2006, there were 105,211 unintentional firearm accidents in the US. Of that 4,374 were fatal. Thats about 2,104 gun accidents a year of which 874 fatal. Most of these accidents occur in states like Texas were gun ownership is prolific.

A firearm in your house is useless if you're robbed while away. It's only a free firearm to the would be robber. There are safer ways to protect your home than the use of a firearm.

I highly recommend you take a gun class to learn to properly use and handled a firearm if you intend to get one. Once you or someone else is dead, there are no mulligans.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile;3324488 said:
A shotgun. You don't need a ton of skill and no one will be brave enough to face one down.

I agree. It is the best gun for home protection. You figure most of us will be very nervous when put into this type of situation and with a shotgun you pretty much point it in the direction without any real aim involved. I would advise for someone who has not shot many weapons to go out and get a feel for the kick that you will get from the shotgun as to know what to expect.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
nyc;3325000 said:
The following isn't to dissuade you, only to help ensure you know know how serious the risks involved are in having a loaded weapon in your home.

Between 2001 and 2006, there were 105,211 unintentional firearm accidents in the US. Of that 4,374 were fatal. Thats about 2,104 gun accidents a year of which 874 fatal. Most of these accidents occur in states like Texas were gun ownership is prolific.

A firearm in your house is useless if you're robbed while away. It's only a free firearm to the would be robber. There are safer ways to protect your home than the use of a firearm.

I highly recommend you take a gun class to learn to properly use and handled a firearm if you intend to get one. Once you or someone else is dead, there are no mulligans.

According to the Center for Disease Control, "Americans overall are far less likely to be killed with a firearm than they were when it was much more difficult to obtain a concealed-weapons permit."

In fact, the number of firearm-related deaths has been falling for the past several years.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34714389/ns/us_news-life/page/3/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3325012 said:
According to the Center for Disease Control, "Americans overall are far less likely to be killed with a firearm than they were when it was much more difficult to obtain a concealed-weapons permit."

In the fact, the number of firearm-related deaths has been falling for the past several years.

People tend to be a bit more polite and friendly when they think you are packing. :laugh2:

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3325000 said:

Accidents are accidents.

There were also thousands and thousands of cases where people who owned a weapon were able to defend themselves.

I'm not worried about someone robbing me while I'm gone. I'm worried about home invasion.

Agreed.

That's the whole point of owning a firearm for self defense though. I'm not aiming to wound you if you invade my home.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kapolani;3325019 said:
Accidents are accidents.

There were also thousands and thousands of cases where people who owned a weapon were able to defend themselves.

I'm not worried about someone robbing me while I'm gone. I'm worried about home invasion.

Agreed.

That's the whole point of owning a firearm for self defense though. I'm not aiming to wound you if you invade my home.

I agree. Fact is if a person is willing to break in while you are home that person more than likely is also prepared to take your life or seriously hurt you or a family member. As for the police in that situation well all they can do is put a white chalk line around the body and I would rather it be the perpetrator than me

kapolani

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3325024 said:
I agree. Fact is if a person is willing to break in while you are home that person more than likely is also prepared to take your life or seriously hurt you or a family member. As for the police in that situation well all they can do is put a white chalk line around the body and I would rather it be the perpetrator than me

Exactly.

If someone is willing to get pass my two dogs, my alarm system, and motion/light sensors then they aren't there to give me a hug.

I live in a good neigborhood. Nice and quiet. But, we are starting to get some home invasions closer and closer to home base. As the city scum start enlarging their areas of operation they are starting to hit the 'quiet' neighborhoods.

The most important thing to me in this world is my family.

Damn if I'm going to get caught unarmed in a situation like that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3325012 said:

In the fact, the number of firearm-related deaths has been falling for the past several years.

The Center for Disease Control is where I got the numbers. I'm aware of the statistics. My point is a death is a death.
kapolani;3325019 said:
Accidents are accidents.

Agreed.

If the perpitrator has a gun also, that means that a fire fight is far more likely to occur. The odds in you dying shoot through the roof.

It is my opinion that there are far safer ways to dissued a would be robbery from even attempting to rob you.

Also to note, it's easy to say you would shoot someone, but it's far more difficult to actually do it. (in several ways)

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3325035 said:
If the perpitrator has a gun also, that means that a fire fight is far more likely to occur. The odds in you dying shoot through the roof. It is my opinion that there are far safer ways to dissued a would be robbery from even attempting to rob you.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Would it be better that the Tango has a weapon and the home owner doesn't?

Am I supposed to call a timeout during a home invasion and ask if we can come to some other kind of amicable solution?

Also to note, it's easy to say you would shoot someone, but it's far more difficult to actually do it. (in several ways)

No it's not. You just pull the trigger.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;3325035 said:
The Center for Disease Control is where I got the numbers. I'm aware of the statistics. My point is a death is a death.

If the perpitrator has a gun also, that means that a fire fight is far more likely to occur. The odds in you dying shoot through the roof.

It is my opinion that there are far safer ways to dissued a would be robbery from even attempting to rob you.

If I feel my life is in real danger I will defend it to no end. I would hate to have to kill anyone but you better believe someone entering my home while I'm there I consider a real threat and would take that life in the blink of an eye. I pray it never happens but if it is me or him? That is an easy one.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;3325040 said:
Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Would it be better that the Tango has a weapon and the home owner doesn't?

Am I supposed to call a timeout during a home invasion and ask if we can come to some other kind of amicable solution?
What I'm saying is in most robberies, the robber doesn't want a violent exchange. They want to rob the house and leave. They usually pick houses where nobody is home. If they do happen to break into your house and you start shooting at them, they are likely to shoot back.

kapolani;3325040 said:
No it's not. You just pull the trigger.
The only people I've ever met that can "honestly" say that are those that have been in multiple fire fights. Growing up in a relatively violent area, I've known two people who where actively in more than two exchanges of that type. The others that I know were friends of my father who were in Vietnam or guys I know who held duty in some gulf conflict. (Iraq or Afghanistan)

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I think some people are getting the term "Burglary" and "Home Invasion" mixed up.

Quite a bit of Law Enforcement stats will tell you that Burglaries typically occur during the day and the primary motive of the criminal is to avoid a confrontation and relieve the victim of their valuables.

Quite a bit of Law Enforcement stats will tell you that most Home Invasions occur between 6 PM to 6 AM and the primary motive of the criminal is to ensure that the victim is home for the purpose of rape, murder, theft and to get the victim's ATM pin numbers, which was the case with the Doctor and his family up in Connecticut last year.

People who buy guns for Self Defense are doing so to protect themselves against "Home Invasions", not Burglaries.

Home Invasion statistics report that the crime is on the rise. People typically think of a home invasion as a robbery or a burglary. While in most cases this is the intended crime to be committed, in several cases home invasions occurs with the intent to commit a rape, an assault or even a murder. Money and expensive belongings may be the motivation behind most break-ins, but sometimes it is a secondary intention of criminals. Because the reasons, methods and intentions of home invasions are so varied it can be difficult to define reliable statistics on the crime. According to a report by the United States Department of Justice, 38% of assaults and 60% of rapes occur in the home during an invasion.

There are some startling statistics and facts about home invasion in the United States. It is estimated that in the U.S. at least one property related crime occurs every three seconds. In the United States there were over 3,600,000 each year between 1994 and 2005. Statistics Canada reported over 289,200 per year in the last five years. Statistically there are over 8000 reported home invasions each and every day across North America. These are just the facts for the crimes which are actually defined as home invasions. There are many burglaries and thefts which occur under different circumstances which do not fall directly into that category of a home invasion for one reason or another.

Typically, criminals convicted of home invasions or porerty related offences indicate that they see residential homes as viable alternatives to robbing a bank or a convenience store. The reason for this is because of more and more businesses using high tech security systems on their business properties. It is becoming harder and harder for criminals to pull off robberies of business properties, leading them to target private residences instead.9 out of 10 convicted criminals who have committed home invasions have said that they would not attempt to break into a home with a home security system installed. Violent crime is on the rise in North America, and it is estimated that 1 out of every 5 homes are just as likely to experience a robbery as they are to have a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. Having a home security system installed makes your home three times less likely to be targeted by burglars.

link

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3325045 said:
If I feel my life is in real danger I will defend it to no end. I would hate to have to kill anyone but you better believe someone entering my home while I'm there I consider a real threat and would take that life in the blink of an eye. I pray it never happens but if it is me or him? That is an easy one.

I agree and I would too. I have no qualms about acting in a kill or be killed situation.

When I was growing up, I generally held a very passive stance in volatile situations, but there was always a point where I would become the aggressor if I felt the situation was growing behind the point of being avoided.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
nyc;3325035 said:

Actually, the odds of a gun fight decrease quite a bit if the home owner has a security system and has it armed during the evening.

A lot of problem is that people typically don't activate their alarm system until they are ready to go to bed.

There is numerous data out there that shows that criminals will tend to avoid houses with a Security System. However, if somehow they ignore your Security sign, as soon as they break into your home and the alarm goes off, they are going to leave in all likelihood.

In my house, my Security System serves as the first defense but if the criminal is stupid enough to stay on my property, maybe to get hold me at gun point and disable the system and tell the Security Company it was a false alarm, then that is what my Mossberg 500 Persuader is for, to Persuade!!!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3325053 said:
I think some people are getting the term "Burglary" and "Home Invasion" mixed up.

Quite a bit of Law Enforcement stats will tell you that Burglaries typically occur during the day and the primary motive of the criminal is to avoid a confrontation and relieve the victim of their valuables.

Quite a bit of Law Enforcement stats will tell you that most Home Invasions occur between 6 PM to 6 AM and the primary motive of the criminal is to ensure that the victim is home for the purpose of rape, murder, theft and to get the victim's ATM pin numbers, which was the case with the Doctor and his family up in Connecticut last year.

People who buy guns for Self Defense are doing so to protect themselves against "Home Invasions", not Burglaries.

link

Since it's all men getting guns here, how many of those are men being rapped? :laugh2:

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3325051 said:
What I'm saying is in most robberies, the robber doesn't want a violent exchange. They want to rob the house and leave. They usually pick houses where nobody is home. If they do happen to break into your house and you start shooting at them, they are likely to shoot back.

I'm not talking about most robberies. I'm talking about that one time that they do want a violent encounter. That's the one I want to be prepared for. If you're invading my home - with all my security precautions - it's because you want something that I have.

The only people I've ever met that can "honestly" say that are those that have been in multiple fire fights. Growing up in a relatively violent area, I've known two people who where actively in more than two exchanges of that type. The others that I know were friends of my father who were in Vietnam or guys I know who held duty in some gulf conflict. (Iraq or Afghanistan)

Bio:

Former USN HM2 FMF - Somalia and Iraq