Gun Guru's, need advice...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;3326651 said:
In my town (sorry our town) they will serve Breakfast in bed and all of our cops will be real hotties with the little shorts and the tied top. People will look forward to being arrested. :laugh2:

But I disgress, it is semantics

Will they have those cool handcuffs with the fluff on them so you don't get chaffed and will they spoon feed us or feed us grapes like a Caesar?

Ohh I am getting excited.

kapolani

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326627 said:
I guess normally I don't let fears of what ifs rule me. Nothing wrong with being prepared for what ifs so I am not bagging on that idea...I just don't let it rule me as others might. If I did I would be a walking nervous turd always worrying about this or that. What if this or that happens, I gotta prepare and get this or that and so on and so on.

There must be a disconnect between us.

I don't let my fears rule me. I don't walk around armed.

Being prepared for an event in case it happens is not the same as fearing an event will happen.

I think that is probably more shaped in what environment you live in. If I lived in an area that was bad I might change my opinion...if I had the money I would just change my location first but many people do not have financial means to just pick up and leave so that does not work for everyone.

Where would you go to?

I don't understand why you don't think it can happen anywhere in any town.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326655 said:
Will they have those cool handcuffs with the fluff on them so you don't get chaffed and will they spoon feed us or feed us grapes like a Caesar?

Ohh I am getting excited.

You bet and wait until you see the wet tee shirt fire fighters I have in mind. :laugh2:

One look at them and you would want to set your own house on fire. :lmao2:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kapolani;3326657 said:
There must be a disconnect between us.

I don't let my fears rule me. I don't walk around armed.

Being prepared for an event in case it happens is not the same as fearing an event will happen.

They might not rule you, but they definitely influence you as you keep repeating that you can't see not having things there to protect your family...one would think that if you are worried about protecting your family that that worry is born of fear whether it rules you or just influences you to a degree. When you prepare for the worst it is because you fear what the worst might be. You don't buy a gun to be prepared for rainbows and sunshine.:)

Where would you go to?

I don't understand why you don't think it can happen anywhere in any town.

Never said it could not happen in any town or anywhere...I just don't let that rule me due to history of where I am. I could build a storm cellar just to be prepared in case a tornado hits...now I only recall a couple of tornadoes hitting remotely close to my area 2-3 times in my whole life but I still could be prepared for it happening because you never know...but I don't think I will put that time and effort into it.

Now if I live in tornado alley...I am building a storm cellar and would be an idiot if I did not...why, because it is an area that gets hit by them quite a bit.

I feel perfectly secure with locks on the door, two dogs (one being a pitt) knives around the house, any normal object that could be used as a weapon and my own ability to defend myself and family if the need arises. Remember the old saying...guns don't kill people...people kill people...well you can kill people without a gun.:)

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
kapolani;3326583 said:
I think you're joking.

Not ten miles from me though is a nuclear power plant. If something were to happen to that it would be reallly ugly.

Logically it is a great target of opportunity if some crazies wanted to do something horrific.

Superior target of opportunity. I've done quite a bit of research on the subject lately for my novel.

Terrorist with "small" nuclear device detonated at the heart of a city can do extensive damage. Wipe out the city and a good section downwind.

Terrorist with the same small yield device at one particular nuclear power plant in New York state can destroy NYC and with the wind, Pennsylvania, DC, plus parts of the Virginia and West Virginia. Turn the wind the other direction, and you've killed New England.

The reports I read were shocking.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
nyc;3326599 said:
Wow, I have never seen such failed logic. You ask what is a police officer doing when he is patrolling. The response would be something like "He isn't protecting anything" without anything of real substance to support it.

I have a question. A rhetorical one, then I'm done.

If you are a parent of a child, you are considered the guardian. Yet, when your child goes to school and you go off to work, you are no longer the protective guardian? You are 100% a failed parent then. Just like all the police officers that patrol the subways aren't protecting cause once I'm on the subway, they fail cause they didn't come with me onto the subway itself.

Bodyguards remain with a person, a police officer isn't your bodyguard.

Failure on the analogy. The child becomes protected under other adult supervision. They maintain the guardianship, de facto.

We carry or own weapons to be our own bodyguards in an active fashion, not relying on passive methods of deterrence of locks, bolts, running upstairs, hiding in the closet, calling the police and waiting for them to arrive, or hoping that we aren't outmatched in weapons to defend ourselves with.

Those who beat swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

I feel perfectly secure with locks on the door, two dogs (one being a pitt) knives around the house, any normal object that could be used as a weapon and my own ability to defend myself and family if the need arises. Remember the old saying...guns don't kill people...people kill people...well you can kill people without a gun.:)

2 dogs? Two half pounds slabs of liver and they're my new best friends. The point is that the weapons are there and necessary so that anyone of us can defend ourselves, or our family can defend themselves without us there to do it for them. My 110 pound girlfriend is equal to any man regardless of size with her pistol.

I almost find it offensive to start throwing labels of "fear" around in the debate. You PREPARE for the worse in anticipation. I don't own a Harley. I don't own snow skis. Some folks love to ride their bikes and love to snow ski. I prefer to go out to the farm and blow through some clay pigeons or punch holes in paper.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;3326658 said:
You bet and wait until you see the wet tee shirt fire fighters I have in mind. :laugh2:

One look at them and you would want to set your own house on fire. :lmao2:

Sir you are awesome and when I win the powerball lottery I will set up a meeting so we can get this thing going.

kapolani

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3326693 said:
Superior target of opportunity. I've done quite a bit of research on the subject lately for my novel.

I just think unconventionally because of my training.

Terrorist with "small" nuclear device detonated at the heart of a city can do extensive damage. Wipe out the city and a good section downwind.

Although possible I think highly unlikely. It's not easy to get/make weapons grade stuff. But, still bad ju ju.

Terrorist with the same small yield device at one particular nuclear power plant in New York state can destroy NYC and with the wind, Pennsylvania, DC, plus parts of the Virginia and West Virginia. Turn the wind the other direction, and you've killed New England.

It's amazing how lax security is at places like these. Some highly motivated individuals would be able to do some damage quickly.

But, as another poster so eloquently put it "can't let stuff like that rule you."

So, I don't, but just hope the bad guys don't think like I do.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kapolani;3326699 said:
It's amazing how lax security is at places like these. Some highly motivated individuals would be able to do some damage quickly.

But, as another poster so eloquently put it "can't let stuff like that rule you."

Well when it is your professional job to protect those areas, what you are paid to do...that stuff should rule you.:)

Airports, Ports, power plants, chemical plants and the border are woefully under secured IMO.

Some of those areas have a history of being exploited for attack.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
kapolani;3326699 said:
I just think unconventionally because of my training.

Although possible I think highly unlikely. It's not easy to get/make weapons grade stuff. But, still bad ju ju.

No, not remotely easy to make or get your hands on the stuff. Pakistan makes me as nervous as a hen in the fox house though. Not that it rules me, but it makes for an interesting set of scenarios whereby I can plausibly have a deployed mobile RS-24 MIRV lose its warheads and end up in terrorists hands. Well, somewhat plausible.

If Pakistan ever wanted to really screw over India, they'd detonate on a set of glaciers that feeds water into the various rivers for something like 65% of their 1.1 billion population. Not to say India wouldn't make them glow in retaliation, but for the purposes of my novel....

kapolani

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326701 said:
Airports, Ports, power plants, chemical plants and the border are woefully under secured IMO.

Can't protect them all. Logistically it's a nightmare.

It's amazing how we don't have suicide bombers detonating in this country.

It's either a testament to the work of those who protect us behind the scenes or we've been extremely lucky.

kapolani

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3326710 said:
No, not remotely easy to make or get your hands on the stuff. Pakistan makes me as nervous as a hen in the fox house though. Not that it rules me, but it makes for an interesting set of scenarios whereby I can plausibly have a deployed mobile RS-24 MIRV lose its warheads and end up in terrorists hands. Well, somewhat plausible.

If Pakistan ever wanted to really screw over India, they'd detonate on a set of glaciers that feeds water into the various rivers for something like 65% of their 1.1 billion population. Not to say India wouldn't make them glow in retaliation, but for the purposes of my novel....

Pakistan. Iran. The whole area has me nervous.

You can't reason with those who do things in the name of religion.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326572 said:
I don't know guy...for a great neighborhood you seem to have a butt load of stuff happening around it/you.

If it was just you, I might deport you from my neighborhood.:p: ;)
There's an older lady who lives across the street from me. She has a new beau. He is a crusty old cowboy type. Two weeks ago he locked his keys in his truck. She sent him to me for help. We tried for an hour to get in. Finally I drove him to a town north of Tucson to pick up a spare set of keys. He wanted to give me the 10 bucks he had in his wallet to pay for my gas. I told him I want to go horseback riding instead. I now have unlimited free rides at a stable in East Tucson where he works.

Sometimes it does pay to be the neighborhood's problem magnet.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
kapolani;3326729 said:
Pakistan. Iran. The whole area has me nervous.

You can't reason with those who do things in the name of religion.

You can say that again. Its the extremists in any group that take absolution of doing the will of their chosen religion that are the most worrisome. The Saudis that fund the Wahhabi madrassas scare the crap out of me. They take the most promising student of the jihadist classes, move them back to Saudi for specialized training, and then send them back to Afghanistan and Pakistan with four wives to breed like rabbits. 15-20 years down the road you've got an army of militants raised by militant jihadists. Insane.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SaltwaterServr;3326695 said:
I almost find it offensive to start throwing labels of "fear" around in the debate. You PREPARE for the worse in anticipation. I don't own a Harley. I don't own snow skis. Some folks love to ride their bikes and love to snow ski. I prefer to go out to the farm and blow through some clay pigeons or punch holes in paper.

If you find it offensive...so be it...that does not scare me...Just no fear of that.:laugh2:

But if it makes you feel better to label it someway else instead of confronting it...so be it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
To me fear is the wrong word. I don't fear someone breaking into my home. In fact I consider the possibility rather remote. I don't know a word other than prepared. I try and be prepared for a lot of things. Both of my vehicles have flashlights and a pair of pantyhose in them. You can use pantyhose to repair a broken fan belt in an emergency. Both have water too. I don't have them there because I fear anything. I have them so I don't have to be in a bad situation.

For me guns serve several purposes. Only one of them is protection. I just flat out enjoy going out and shooting. Especially at targets. I like out shooting a friend or family member and I usually do. I like that boys who come to date my daughters don't just see a big guy, they see a big guy who has guns and can use them.

:grin:

I don't hunt any more, but if a catastrophe happened I would to feed my family. A lot of people would go hungry. I won't. I have a food storage for this exact same reason. I can live on rice and beans for a long time, but a steak now and then would not hurt my feelings at all.

To me, it isn't fear, it is preparedness. I have fire extinguishers too. Guess what, I am not afraid of fires. I fought them for 7 years.

Fear is the wrong way of looking at it. IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile;3326920 said:
To me fear is the wrong word. I don't fear someone breaking into my home. In fact I consider the possibility rather remote. I don't know a word other than prepared. I try and be prepared for a lot of things. Both of my vehicles have flashlights and a pair of pantyhose in them. You can use pantyhose to repair a broken fan belt in an emergency. Both have water too. I don't have the there because I fear anything. I have them so I don't have to be in a bad situation.

For me guns serve several purposes. Only one of them is protection. I just flat out enjoy going out and shooting. Especially at targets. I like out shooting a friend or family member and I usually do. I like that boys who come to date my daughters don't just see a big guy, they see a big guy who has guns and can use them.

I don't hunt any more, but if a catastrophe happened I would to feed my family. A lot of people would go hungry. I won't. I have a food storage for this exact same reason. I can live on rice and beans for a long time, but a steak now and ten would not hurt my feelings at all.

To me, it isn't fear, it is preparedness. I have fire extinguishers too. Guess what, I am not afraid of fires. I fought them for 7 years.

I agree. I would rather be the person who is prepared than the poor fool who is never ready when something bad happens.

I keep supplies in case of a Hurricane even though we do not get them that often it is better to be ready than not.

I have never had anyone break into my home while I was there but we know for a fact these things happen and if it should well I would rather be able to defend against it than to be at the mercy of some thug.

kapolani

Reaction score
Hostile;3326920 said:
I don't hunt any more, but if a catastrophe happened I would to feed my family. A lot of people would go hungry. I won't. I have a food storage for this exact same reason. I can live on rice and beans for a long time, but a steak now and ten would not hurt my feelings at all.

I found out what they call people like us.

Preppers. I didn't know there was such a thing.

I do it because that is always the way my family has done it.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;3326920 said:
To me fear is the wrong word. I don't fear someone breaking into my home. In fact I consider the possibility rather remote. I don't know a word other than prepared. I try and be prepared for a lot of things. Both of my vehicles have flashlights and a pair of pantyhose in them. You can use pantyhose to repair a broken fan belt in an emergency. Both have water too. I don't have the there because I fear anything. I have them so I don't have to be in a bad situation.

You might not fear fire itself...you do fear the idea of what a fire can do, whether that be ruin your house and belongings within, hurting your family and so on.

Fear is a great motivator and everyone seems to think it is a negative. I don't see it that way I just see it as what it is.

If you had no fear whatsoever of a fire happening, if there were fires ever in houses...we would not need fire ext or fire would not be included in insurances because it would just not be needed.

Just as my tornado example...you won't find hard any storm shelters for tornados where I live but I bet you it is common place if you live in tornado alley...sure it is to be prepared but you are being prepared because you fear if you did not your family could be seriously injured. I see owning a gun for home security and saying it as being prepared as the same thing. You fear the idea of what would happen if you had an intruder break into your house and what he could do...therefore you have something ready in case he does.

If you truly had no fear of what could happen, you would not buy a gun and say that it is for home defense. If nobody ever broke into a house or if it is was very very rare where you lived...chances are that your fear of that happening would be next to nil. If it happens quite often where you live, you would be more apt to get a gun for that reason and you would have a justifiable fear of something happening to you or your family.

It's not a bad thing, it is not saying it is not being prepared, it IS being prepared because you have a fear of something happening.

I really don't get why people would argue that point at all unless they think it is a negative that makes them seem like a wimp or something.

:confused:

kapolani

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326934 said:
I really don't get why people would argue that point at all unless they think it is a negative that makes them seem like a wimp or something.

:confused:

I'm wondering why you keep doing the same thing.

Saying you have no fear.