Gun Guru's, need advice...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;3326928 said:
I agree. I would rather be the person who is prepared than the poor fool who is never ready when something bad happens.

I keep supplies in case of a Hurricane even though we do not get them that often it is better to be ready than not.

I have never had anyone break into my home while I was there but we know for a fact these things happen and if it should well I would rather be able to defend against it than to be at the mercy of some thug.

Nothing wrong with being prepared. I think the whole crux of the arguments (those arguing with me anyway) is that I use fear as the motivator and I don't know if they believe that is a bad thing that makes them seem like wimps or something...I don't see it as making someone look like a wimp. I think fear is a great motivator.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kapolani;3326937 said:
I'm wondering why you keep doing the same thing.

Saying you have no fear.

I just don't have fear of someone breaking into my house. Not fear enough to worry about running out and getting a gun and justify getting a gun by saying it is for home security.

I feel I have enough home security where I live. I feel I am prepared enough to deal with any intruder without having a gun.

If others do not feel that secure, if others feel they need a gun for their security...so be it, that is not a bad thing.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kapolani;3326933 said:
I found out what they call people like us.

Preppers. I didn't know there was such a thing.

I do it because that is always the way my family has done it.

Does that mean you wear POLO shirts...no wait that is Preppies.;)

On a serious note...I did say earlier that I think environment plays a big part as well...not just where you live, but how you were raised.

The only guns we had in our house when I was growing up were rifles for hunting. So I never felt the need, along with being in a lower crime area, for a hand gun or shot gun for home security.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Being prepared is just common sense. If you live in a very secure and peaceful area then one could argue getting a gun is not warranted. But in reality how many people live in an area so safe and secure that home invasion is not even considered a possibility?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;3326953 said:
Being prepared is just common sense. If you live in a very secure and peaceful area then one could argue getting a gun is not warranted. But in reality how many people live in an area so safe and secure that home invasion is not even considered a possibility?

Anything is possible...a golfball size of hale could fall and kill me...it is possible but I doubt I am going to carry a heavy umbrella around every day or wear a hard hat.

I just am lucky enough to live in an area where that is not a big concern or big threat. One of the few positives of where I live.:( :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326939 said:
Nothing wrong with being prepared. I think the whole crux of the arguments (those arguing with me anyway) is that I use fear as the motivator and I don't know if they believe that is a bad thing that makes them seem like wimps or something...I don't see it as making someone look like a wimp. I think fear is a great motivator.

Fear can be a motivator it can also be big a negative if you let fear consume you. I have a gun for home protection but I don't spend much of my time thinking about it or worried about it I just know that I have the means to protect myself and leave it at that.

I think most people who try to prepare for different things do so out of experience they have had or seeing the experience others have had to go through. An example after Hurricane Ike I had no electricity for 2 weeks, now I have a generator so if something like that happens again I’ll be better prepared for it.

Most of us lock our doors at night we do that to give us some sense of security but after it is locked I doubt many of us stay up at night worried about it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I right now live in a town only 40 miles from Juarez - so I keep plenty handy even though I am in a good neighborhood.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;3326961 said:
I right now live in a town only 40 miles from Juarez - so I keep plenty handy even though I am in a good neighborhood.

I forgot you were so close to El Paso.

Do you think that is a dirty city? I am not talking the people but over all when I was there it just seems like everything was dirty. Guess it is hard to keep it all clean with the dirt and sand blowing around.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326966 said:

Do you think that is a dirty city? I am not talking the people but over all when I was there it just seems like everything was dirty. Guess it is hard to keep it all clean with the dirt and sand blowing around.

That is like asking an arab if it is sandy around their home. :laugh2:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;3326959 said:
Fear can be a motivator it can also be big a negative if you let fear consume you. I have a gun for home protection but I don't spend much of my time thinking about it or worried about it I just know that I have the means to protect myself and leave it at that.

I think most people who try to prepare for different things do so out of experience they have had or seeing the experience others have had to go through. An example after Hurricane Ike I had no electricity for 2 weeks, now I have a generator so if something like that happens again I’ll be better prepared for it.

Most of us lock our doors at night we do that to give us some sense of security but after it is locked I doubt many of us stay up at night worried about it.

Good point on the generator. We had that ice storm a few years back. A whole week without power and having to stay at the inlaws because they had a fire place was a good motivator.

I had a fear of that happening again and not wanting to be there with them. I like them ok but I don't want to spend a whole week with them.

So I too got a generator...and of course with my luck the power has not been out for more than an hour tops since we got it so I have not even had to use it.

Of course we lock our doors at night. It was how you were raised for the most part and it is a point of security. An extra benefit of having a dog is because they can bark if someone is at the door and helps alert you (the whole giving a couple pieces of of liver to them to stop them was funny).

However the wife's grandfather never locks his doors. Guy has money laying around in the living room and on his poker table. Has a but load of guns from when he lived in florida...never locks his door. The guy would never hear anyone coming in if they ever did come in but he has guns there just in case he does not hear them and is asleep in front of the tv lol.

Oh well...one day I will have his german luger.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;3326975 said:
That is like asking an arab if it is sandy around their home. :laugh2:

I guess I was so used to clay mud around these parts that it was just a trip. Just seemed so dirty.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326977 said:
Good point on the generator. We had that ice storm a few years back. A whole week without power and having to stay at the inlaws because they had a fire place was a good motivator.

I had a fear of that happening again and not wanting to be there with them. I like them ok but I don't want to spend a whole week with them.

So I too got a generator...and of course with my luck the power has not been out for more than an hour tops since we got it so I have not even had to use it.

Of course we lock our doors at night. It was how you were raised for the most part and it is a point of security. An extra benefit of having a dog is because they can bark if someone is at the door and helps alert you (the whole giving a couple pieces of of liver to them to stop them was funny).

Good reason to have a dog. A few years back we had homes around mine that had been robbed but my home was never touched. Having a big dog seems to make some leery even though she is a cream puff.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326979 said:
I guess I was so used to clay mud around these parts that it was just a trip. Just seemed so dirty.

That area of Texas is some dry land.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;3326982 said:
Good reason to have a dog. A few years back we had homes around mine that had been robbed but my home was never touched. Having a big dog seems to make some leery even though she is a cream puff.

Yeah...a dog with a good bark can be a good deterrent. My dogs are not mean to people...they don't like other animals as many rabbits, cats and dogs can confrm...but they like people...but if they hear a noise they can wake up the dead they are so noisy. Not only does it help deter someone if they decided to try and break in but it alerts the home owners.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;3326984 said:
That area of Texas is some dry land.

Yeah. But I loved watching the heat lightning in that area, really beautiful.

Kind of reminded me of that part in that disney movie Holes...where you would hear the thunder and see lightning but rarely got the rain.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326988 said:
Yeah. But I loved watching the heat lightning in that area, really beautiful.

Kind of reminded me of that part in that disney movie Holes...where you would hear the thunder and see lightning but rarely got the rain.

Have you been to Big Bend in West Texas? Hot as hell during the day but cold at night. It is some ruggled land but has a certain beauty to it as well.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326934 said:
You might not fear fire itself...you do fear the idea of what a fire can do, whether that be ruin your house and belongings within, hurting your family and so on.

Fear is a great motivator and everyone seems to think it is a negative. I don't see it that way I just see it as what it is.

If you had no fear whatsoever of a fire happening, if there were fires ever in houses...we would not need fire ext or fire would not be included in insurances because it would just not be needed.

Just as my tornado example...you won't find hard any storm shelters for tornados where I live but I bet you it is common place if you live in tornado alley...sure it is to be prepared but you are being prepared because you fear if you did not your family could be seriously injured. I see owning a gun for home security and saying it as being prepared as the same thing. You fear the idea of what would happen if you had an intruder break into your house and what he could do...therefore you have something ready in case he does.

If you truly had no fear of what could happen, you would not buy a gun and say that it is for home defense. If nobody ever broke into a house or if it is was very very rare where you lived...chances are that your fear of that happening would be next to nil. If it happens quite often where you live, you would be more apt to get a gun for that reason and you would have a justifiable fear of something happening to you or your family.

It's not a bad thing, it is not saying it is not being prepared, it IS being prepared because you have a fear of something happening.

I really don't get why people would argue that point at all unless they think it is a negative that makes them seem like a wimp or something.

:confused:
Again, I think fear is the wrong word. Your examples do neither negate nor erase what I posted. I prepare for a lot of things, but don't do it out of fear of those things happening. I could list dozens of other examples.

I have 3 hacksaws. I don't need 3 hacksaws. I haven't used a hacksaw this month. So why do I have three? Partially it is because I have so many different toolboxes. I have one for plumbing. It has a hacksaw. I have one for welding. It has a hacksaw. I have one for electrical. It has a hacksaw. I have them because I do not like to go looking for a hacksaw in another toolbox. It is simply a way of being prepared. I am the same way about tape measures. I have one in every single toolbox, the glove box of my truck, and my office. I don't want to go searching for one.

I have extra blankets in the linen closet. Trust me, I do not fear freezing in Tucson.

To me a gun is no different. It is a form of preparation, but for me it is also a means of entertainment. Like I said, I love to shoot. I like shooting different kinds of guns so I have more than one or two.

Fear just doesn't fit. It has nothing to do with the connotation of the word as negative or positive. It just doesn't fit.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd;3326953 said:
I would still have a gun because I love to shoot. I could live in the safest place on earth and I would still own a gun.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3326966 said:

Extremely dirty.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;3326999 said:
Again, I think fear is the wrong word. Your examples do neither negate nor erase what I posted. I prepare for a lot of things, but don't do it our of fear of those things happening. I could list dozens of other examples.

I have 3 hacksaws. I don't need 3 hacksaws. I haven't used a hacksaw this month. So why do I have three? Partially it is because I have so many different toolboxes. I have one for plumbing. It has a hacksaw. I have one for welding. It has a hacksaw. I have one for electrical. It has a hacksaw. I have them because I do not like to go looking for a hacksaw in another toolbox. It is simply a way of being prepared. I am the same way about tape measures. I have one in every single toolbox, the glove box of my truck, and my office. I don't want to go searching for one.

I have extra blankets in the linen closet. Trust me, I do not fear freezing in Tucson.

To me a gun is no different. It is a form of preparation, but for me it is also a means of entertainment. Like I said, I love to shoot. I like shooting different kinds of guns so I have more than one or two.

Fear just doesn't fit. It has nothing to do with the connotation of the word as negative or positive. It just doesn't fit.

Sure it fits...you are just to scared to admit it...that's right...I said it...whatcha going do about it.:eek: :laugh2: