Guys, it is just a game.

CowboyMark

Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:
Some of the comments I read here just make me sad. Words like 'disgusted, knucklehead, hate' etc.

I've been a Cowboys fan for 26 years, but I never let myself get hateful of these young men out there playing to entertain us. That's the key word, entertainment. It is not war, it is not life and death. When the Cowboys lose, you would think that world war 3 has launched, based on what is seen around here.

I'm just trying to remind you that when you're making fun of, or feeling hatred for these guys, they are still people too. You mess up at your own job and have bad days just like they do, yet you are not under intense international scrutiny for all of your mistakes. Keep that in mind.

I just wanted to change the pace a bit, and suggest that people relax a little. Even if it is not our season this year, the Cowboys will return again one day. Just try to not have a massive coronary before then. :) :starspin :starspin :starspin
I want to win. We havn't won a super bowl in 13 years. We havn't won a playoff game in 12 years. This team has high expectations from themeselves, media, owner, fans and everyone else. Basically I want to win. It's that simple.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
It's funny....this post is something I have been wanting to post for awhile. Up until last season after the Giants loss, I had been exactly what Skinsscalper wrote in his post. I was a zealot of the highest order of the Dallas Cowboys. After we lost that playoff game I was miserable for at least a month. No on could live with me. One morning I woke up and looked in the mirror and said this is ridiculous...I am making myself miserable, my family miserable and people I work with miserable. I promised myself I would not get emotionally involved again with this team until they proved to me they were going to play like they were capable of. I have enjoyed watching everything thus far, I get disappointed when they lose and I am glad when they win. But I am not getting so emotionally tied into this team because they have been quitters since BP took over and have never lost that soft, heartless, dumb mentality. I have just decided for the betterment of my health and my familys happiness that sinking so much time and emotion into something that really does not care about me other than my money was wasted energy on my part. If you do not consider me a fan because of that then I guess I am not a fan....just my 2 cents...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not only is it just a game, but the team has a winning record and is getting a couple of probowlers back. Our defense is kind of predicated on playing with a lead. Our coverage personnel will improve. Our pass rush should improve, our line personnel will improve. Our coaches are the same good coaches we had last year. The only issues have been injury, motivation and execution.

What's the point of being competitive if we don't get to enjoy it? And what's the point of playing a full season if everybody knows in advance what's going to happen after the 9th game? Just because most of us expected to be 7-2 or better at this point, we really can't live with 5-4 without turning on the team, the coaches, and other fans?

aquavita

Reaction score
Idgit;2403850 said:
Not only is it just a game, but the team has a winning record and is getting a couple of probowlers back. Our defense is kind of predicated on playing with a lead. Our coverage personnel will improve. Our pass rush should improve, our line personnel will improve. Our coaches are the same good coaches we had last year. The only issues have been injury, motivation and execution.

What's the point of being competitive if we don't get to enjoy it? And what's the point of playing a full season if everybody knows in advance what's going to happen after the 9th game? Just because most of us expected to be 7-2 or better at this point, we really can't live with 5-4 without turning on the team, the coaches, and other fans?

Seriously. Look at what happened to Pats fans. It got to the point that winning was so routine that none of them gave a hell anymore and all the fun went away. It wasn't even like the 90's cowboys where the whole team was having fun. For the Pats it just became mechanical and boring.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aquavita;2403851 said:
Seriously. Look at what happened to Pats fans. It got to the point that winning was so routine that none of them gave a hell anymore and all the fun went away. It wasn't even like the 90's cowboys where the whole team was having fun. For the Pats it just became mechanical and boring.

You can see it on Romo's face. Watch today's interview and go back and listen to a similar interview from last season. Or better yet, look at an archived interview from before the Commanders game this year and compare it to a similar clip from the first half of last year. The pressure and the expectations have got to be killing this team. Much of it is their own doing, but I'd be a lot happier seeing them go back to playing sandlot football and just flinging it around and let the cowchips and message board posters fall where they may.

aquavita

Reaction score
Idgit;2403862 said:
You can see it on Romo's face. Watch today's interview and go back and listen to a similar interview from last season. Or better yet, look at an archived interview from before the Commanders game this year and compare it to a similar clip from the first half of last year. The pressure and the expectations have got to be killing this team. Much of it is their own doing, but I'd be a lot happier seeing them go back to playing sandlot football and just flinging it around and let the cowchips and message board posters fall where they may.

Yeah, you do get the feeling that some of this stuff would go away if they could just relax. That's why I'm never sure when I hear about camp cupcake etc. Something is making these guys play stiff and it shows in every facet of play.

btw your sig makes me laugh every single time I see it.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
aquavita;2403851 said:

You know what, you convinced me.

Because I am sure all those Pats fan were frowning last season as they were packing their bags for a fun filled week in Arizona last February.

And better yet. You just know those Giants fans were like 'Yeah we beat the 18-0 Pats, but there are bigger things in life to think about so it's no biggee'.

Ren

Reaction score
aquavita;2403816 said:
I don't think anything you said is pathetic, but keep in mind about salaries for these guys: Yes it's a lot of money to you and me but it's only a fraction compared to the amount they bring in for the owners and the league itself.

and that money comes from fans, for the price it cost to go to some of these games these days why should we settle for anything less then 100% effort from the players we pay to watch play?
I don't think the majority of the people who get mad do so cause they lose, it's the lack of effort. They're living what for many people is a dream and when they look like they're just collecting a check it can be very frustrating to watch specially for people who would give up everything to be able to do what they do for a living

dfense

Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:
Some of the comments I read here just make me sad. Words like 'disgusted, knucklehead, hate' etc.

I've been a Cowboys fan for 26 years, but I never let myself get hateful of these young men out there playing to entertain us. That's the key word, entertainment. It is not war, it is not life and death. When the Cowboys lose, you would think that world war 3 has launched, based on what is seen around here.

I'm just trying to remind you that when you're making fun of, or feeling hatred for these guys, they are still people too. You mess up at your own job and have bad days just like they do, yet you are not under intense international scrutiny for all of your mistakes. Keep that in mind.

I just wanted to change the pace a bit, and suggest that people relax a little. Even if it is not our season this year, the Cowboys will return again one day. Just try to not have a massive coronary before then. :) :starspin :starspin :starspin
Tell that to some of these guys with 25,000+ posts. It's their life>

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2403848 said:
It's funny....this post is something I have been wanting to post for awhile. Up until last season after the Giants loss, I had been exactly what Skinsscalper wrote in his post. I was a zealot of the highest order of the Dallas Cowboys. After we lost that playoff game I was miserable for at least a month. No on could live with me. One morning I woke up and looked in the mirror and said this is ridiculous...I am making myself miserable, my family miserable and people I work with miserable. I promised myself I would not get emotionally involved again with this team until they proved to me they were going to play like they were capable of. I have enjoyed watching everything thus far, I get disappointed when they lose and I am glad when they win. But I am not getting so emotionally tied into this team because they have been quitters since BP took over and have never lost that soft, heartless, dumb mentality. I have just decided for the betterment of my health and my familys happiness that sinking so much time and emotion into something that really does not care about me other than my money was wasted energy on my part. If you do not consider me a fan because of that then I guess I am not a fan....just my 2 cents...

Man, I thought I was alone. My sentiments exactly.
Thanx JC.:bow:

CoCo

Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:

Folks who struggle to keep it appropriate while following their favorite NFL team probably have that same struggle in other areas of life as well.

We are who we are. We just need the right stimulus to trigger it.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are missing what the thread starter is trying to say. We can get upset and ***** and moan, but to get down right nasty and evil is a reflection on the individual, and how they are personally.

Lots of evil hearts. If you want to hate a players play, that's one thing but to hate someone you don't like is outright sad.

aquavita

Reaction score
Clove;2403945 said:
I think a lot of people are missing what the thread starter is trying to say. We can get upset and ***** and moan, but to get down right nasty and evil is a reflection on the individual, and how they are personally.

Lots of evil hearts. If you want to hate a players play, that's one thing but to hate someone you don't like is outright sad.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. :starspin :starspin

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]Rj8bUZWhkEs[/youtube]
----------------------------------------

Give her a call Jerry...

It can't hurt.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Clove;2403945 said:

I hate Osama Bin Laden. Is that 'outright sad'?

aquavita

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2403960 said:
I hate Osama Bin Laden. Is that 'outright sad'?

I'd say so yeah. It doesn't change a thing for Bin Laden for you to hate him, it only hurts you.

A guy like Bin Laden though is not comparable to a dude who drops a pass in a playoff game.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Mentally I agree 100% with the OP. Intellectually, I know investing so much emotion into something I have absolutely no control over is not healthy in any way. I wish I could just watch the games, and forget about them as soon as the clock goes to zero. I just can't. It's a sickness. My wife has never been able to understand it, and I really don't either. I wish I could base my happiness on more things than how the Cowboys play every Sunday between September and December. If someone can tell me how to do it, I'll sure give it a try. I hate being depressed for a week every time we lose.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
aquavita;2403765 said:

The 80's were tough, huh pal?

aquavita

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2404064 said:
The 80's were tough, huh pal?

I don't remember much of the 80s other than that the Cowboys weren't very good for awhile. I remember watching them with my dad every sunday though. :)