Guys who I think will be cut

Ken

Reaction score
Because he's not as underperforming as you think. He's a very good run stopper and he still has a decent to good pressure rate. Stop looking at just sacks.

Also, subtracting him from the DE spot, with Gregory also a FA, leaves you with one of the worst DE situations in football.

But let's go with this. You cut Lawrence and save $8 million. How do you plan on fixing DE? All you have under contract is Golston and Basham.
They probably would add some more bargain basement type FA and a pick or two.

They do this sort of thing all the time.

Sorry...27 million is for an Elite player...not a guy good against the run and a good pressure rate. ELITE at both yes...

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
i think listening to Jerry talk about Cooper I would be shocked if he isn’t gone. And rightfully so. Pushing his money down the road should not be an option. His contract is ridiculous.
I’m not sure that I can say this with all the rules on this forum, but I think Cooper not getting vaccinated after getting $20 million really ticked off Jerry. He wasn’t available for a game because of that. The thing that sucks, is the money you save by cutting Cooper doesn’t really make this team better. You lose a great WR and won’t use the money to sign any big name FA’s anyway, so what’s the point?

Ken

Reaction score
Did he underperform?

Being out due to injuries is not underperforming.

DLaw only played 25.19% of the snaps in the 2021 regular season.
- His 3 sacks project to 12 if he played all the snaps.
Combine that with his previous couple of seasons and I wouldn't pay this guy...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Gallup becomes an option to come back on a 1 year if Coop has to go, which really seems like that will happen. He is a good trade option as he still is a good player and we will save money by trading him. He just has to agree to a new deal witht he team we trade him to.

I hate getting rid of him because he is our best wr...but I just don't see how we keep him.

It seems like Gallup is likely to return regardless.
- He is not a Super Star and has a blown out knee which happened late in the season.
- I don't see any team making him a big offer.

Oddly, Wilson might be more difficult to retain than Gallup.

Reactions: Ken

Brax

Reaction score
After looking at the cap charges for next year, our current cap situation, and their production....here is who i think will be cut (or traded) barring some renegotiation.

Amari Cooper- By cutting him we will save 16 million on the cap. No way he can play under this deal with our current cap situation. I think a trade is a strong possibility as his base of 20 mill can be renegotiated by the new team easily.

D Law- We will save 8 million by cutting or trading him. I think there is a chance we can trade him but we can't afford to pay this guy his 27 million dollar price tag this year for his lack of production.

Tyron Smith- We will save 5 million to cut him. This one is tough because his price tag is still low at 12 million. It will depend on how we feel he can be replaced and if we need that 5 million.

Greg Z- We will save 2.5 million...no brainer.

I will not be surprised if all 4 of these players are not on the team next year, what do you think?
1 out 4 and maybe not even him. Greg Z

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Cooper doesn't have to be cut per se. His 5 year, $100 million deal was a two year, $40 million deal with three team options tacked on. The Cowboys need to decide by March if they want to pick up the option and pay him through 2024 or move on.

Brooksey

Reaction score
After looking at the cap charges for next year, our current cap situation, and their production....here is who i think will be cut (or traded) barring some renegotiation.

Amari Cooper- By cutting him we will save 16 million on the cap. No way he can play under this deal with our current cap situation. I think a trade is a strong possibility as his base of 20 mill can be renegotiated by the new team easily.

D Law- We will save 8 million by cutting or trading him. I think there is a chance we can trade him but we can't afford to pay this guy his 27 million dollar price tag this year for his lack of production.

Tyron Smith- We will save 5 million to cut him. This one is tough because his price tag is still low at 12 million. It will depend on how we feel he can be replaced and if we need that 5 million.

I will not be surprised if all 4 of these players are not on the team next year, what do you think?

Wrong.

These players will all be back except Zuerlin, DLaw will be re-done at a lower cap#

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Amari seems like he can't wait to get out of Dallas. He's ready to have a real QB toss him the ball.

Well his options are limited. Based on this forum the NFL has Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and 27 steaming pieces of crap as starting quarterbacks.

Sandyf

Reaction score

Not against what you are proposing but who are you replacing them with because if you don't have a good one to replace then you are praying you hit it right in the draft.
Cooper - a trade only would work for me but then we have to resign Gallup and Wilson
D-Law - his injuries hurt but seriously doubt we cut him, probably restructure him
Smith - still on of the best LT in the game and other than possibly Steele there is no one that can produce like he can, better hope Josh Ball can take over but that has yet to be seen
Zuerlien - yes please although literally every kicker this year suffered and supposedly talk of decreasing the width of the uprights isn't going to improve things other than more teams going for it on 4th down.

JustChip

Reaction score
D Law’s can’t be justified at $27mm, but it’ll cost $8mm to get a comparable replacement. He’ll get restructured.

Cooper will most likely be restructured. A trade is certainly possible, but I wouldn’t discount Dak’s influence in keeping him.

Tyron will be here and probably won’t be restructured.

Greg the Leg will face true competition in camp. When push comes to shove, people act in their own best interest and Bones has to do that or he’s gone.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Ya'll keep doubting what I say.

Dak will keep proving me wright.

Not saying you are wrong about Dak. But at some point we also have to blame the coaching staff. They should know Dak's strengths and weaknesses by now and create better gameplans that put him in position to succeed.

I cant sit here and tell you Dak is the best QB because I know he isn't. But he's good enough to win a Super Bowl. If Ryan Tannehill, Matthew Stafford, and Jimmy Garoppolo are still playing this weekend Dak sure as heck can be too.

Ken

Reaction score
Did you love those stats when Romo was putting them up?

Or was you upset that we did nothing in the playoffs?
I loved it...biggest defender of Romo too.

You keep pinning wins and losses on the QB when this is the ultimate team game.

I find people who do this to be overly simplistic.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I loved it...biggest defender of Romo too.

You keep pinning wins and losses on the QB when this is the ultimate team game.

I find people who do this to be overly simplistic.
So you're just a fan of players?

The team success is nice and all, but as long as your favorite guys put up stats, empty or not, you're happy as a lark?

If you're a bigger Dak fan than Cowboys fan, that's fine. Own it though.