Guys who I think will be cut

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After looking at the cap charges for next year, our current cap situation, and their production....here is who i think will be cut (or traded) barring some renegotiation.

Amari Cooper- By cutting him we will save 16 million on the cap. No way he can play under this deal with our current cap situation. I think a trade is a strong possibility as his base of 20 mill can be renegotiated by the new team easily.

D Law- We will save 8 million by cutting or trading him. I think there is a chance we can trade him but we can't afford to pay this guy his 27 million dollar price tag this year for his lack of production.

Tyron Smith- We will save 5 million to cut him. This one is tough because his price tag is still low at 12 million. It will depend on how we feel he can be replaced and if we need that 5 million.

Greg Z- We will save 2.5 million...no brainer.

I will not be surprised if all 4 of these players are not on the team next year, what do you think?

The only real possibility is GZ. I believe they resructure most of these including dlaw. Cutting cooper and tyron make zero sense. No one currently on the roster to replace either and most likely more expensive to replace either via free agency.

stiletto

Reaction score
I think Gallup becomes an option to come back on a 1 year if Coop has to go, which really seems like that will happen. He is a good trade option as he still is a good player and we will save money by trading him. He just has to agree to a new deal witht he team we trade him to.

I hate getting rid of him because he is our best wr...but I just don't see how we keep him.

Is Gallup going to even be available for training camp/1st part of the season? He had a pretty bad tear and that is usually a year. He injured it not even a month ago. I bet he is out until at least November.

Creeper

Reaction score
After looking at the cap charges for next year, our current cap situation, and their production....here is who i think will be cut (or traded) barring some renegotiation.

Amari Cooper- By cutting him we will save 16 million on the cap. No way he can play under this deal with our current cap situation. I think a trade is a strong possibility as his base of 20 mill can be renegotiated by the new team easily.

D Law- We will save 8 million by cutting or trading him. I think there is a chance we can trade him but we can't afford to pay this guy his 27 million dollar price tag this year for his lack of production.

Tyron Smith- We will save 5 million to cut him. This one is tough because his price tag is still low at 12 million. It will depend on how we feel he can be replaced and if we need that 5 million.

I will not be surprised if all 4 of these players are not on the team next year, what do you think?

There is no doubt these are the players the Cowboys will have to deal with in the offseason, some of them anyway, to get under the CAP. I do think there is a good chance Cooper gets traded, but Dallas will probably have to restructure his deal to convert salary to bonus and them eat the bonus against the CAP to make his deal more friendly to another team, I believe the Cowboys will conclude that Cooper is expendable if they can sign Wilson and Gallup or both.

I do not think they will cut or trade DLaw. They really have no replacement for him. And if they lose Gregory and Armstrong in free agency they are really screwed. Remember, Anae was signed by the Jets so the Cowboys would be down to Golston at DE. No chance they let that happen but the only guy they control is Lawrence. My guess is they restructure him again.

Tyron Smith is cheap for a LT and he is younger than Trent Williams. I think Dallas rolls the dice with him one more year.

Zurlein should have been cut a long time ago.

A guy who may wind up getting cut is Anthony Brown. The Cowboys are probably planning on moving Joseph to Brown's spot anyway. Cutting or trading Brown saves $5 million. They could trade Brown for a draft pick too. He might net a 4th round conditional pick.

I think the most likely scenario is the Cowboys restructure Dak's deal and probably Lawrences too. Cooper is the mystery. I have a feeling he will not be on the Cowboys roster in 2022, but the Cowboys will be careful about where he goes so they will work out some kind of trade. The last thing they want is Cooper going to Philadelphia or NY and haunting them twice a year.

exciter

Reaction score

You can only have 2 players designated as June 1st cuts, not sure exactly how it works but Jaylen Smith already counts as 6.8 million against next years cap. Exactly how much dead money would you be satisfied with. Exactly how are you going to replace these players? Signing Cooper to then release him after two seasons seems like basic reasoning skills of a potato level roster management. Lawrence is still by far you’re best DE. They restructured Tyron coming off neck surgery last year and are now going to release him because of an easily correctable bone spur??? Zuerlein, yeah I’ll agree, dead money will only be about 300k… say hello to your rookie kicker(s). Brown and Jarwin are also options along with trading Collins… his BASE jumps from 1.6m to 10m next season, his replacement is already on the team and with his brain dead 5 game suspension he’s missed around 7 more games during his career than Tyron in 4 less seasons!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lawrence isn't going anywhere and I doubt neither will Tyron. He's got a team friendly deal.

...and Jerry is like a hoarder. He keeps players beyond the expire date.

Jerry, bless his heart, me boys, has a heart bigger than his brain.

cowboyec

Reaction score
tyron is on a team friendly deal and is still our best ot...i have no interest in moving on.
i would draft a solid ot prospect.

dlaw is our best de and played well when he came back.
im still drafting a de because you can never have enuff.
id restructure his deal.

amari is our best wr.
i restructure.

im not interested in moving off 3 of our best players and creating more holes to fill.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I bet all 4 are on the team next year. ;)

BaileyRiley1

Reaction score
Cooper, Tyron and Tank will be restructured. Zeurlein will and should be cut. Think Anthony Brown will too as they slide Bossman into that spot

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So you want Gregory over Lawrence even though Gregory will also be 30 during the 2022 season? Lawrence showed why he was missed when he returned. We don't have a DE like him on the roster who can anchor his side with discipline. Gregory is a bone head.
I was huge Randy Gregory supporter, even through all of his troubles. But that ridiculously stupid play late in the game changed my view of him. What are you doing tackling an offensive lineman? No discipline at the most critical time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It is doubtful that any of them get cut other than possibly Greg the Leg.

They can be 14M under the cap with 2 restructures.
- Restructures are not renegotiations.

The Cowboys are not going to cut these players until they have replacements ready.

If any of those players are cut or traded, it would most likely be during or after training camp.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he will restructure it to stay.

If he refuses he is gone.

I mentioned this before the last draft that his contract was a problem entering 2022. We are in those fluff years at the end that the team nor player ever expects to see.

Tyrone Crawford aside that is.
Restructures are not renegotiations.

Restructures are basically just accounting.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Alex, "who are the players we have to cut because Dallas Cowboys overpaid for a backup qb?"

Alex, you are correct

Malhavoc

Reaction score
It is doubtful that any of them get cut other than possibly Greg the Leg.

They can be 14M under the cap with 2 restructures.
- Restructures are not renegotiations.

The Cowboys are not going to cut these players until they have replacements ready.

If any of those players are cut or traded, it would most likely be during or after training camp.
i think listening to Jerry talk about Cooper I would be shocked if he isn’t gone. And rightfully so. Pushing his money down the road should not be an option. His contract is ridiculous.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do you think a guy severely underperforming his 27 million dollar contract isn't going anywhere?

These are the type of guys who get cut in this league....only when we do things like being overly loyal do we keep guys like this on the books. I just don't see how we bring him back at this pricetag.

Did he underperform?

Being out due to injuries is not underperforming.

DLaw only played 25.19% of the snaps in the 2021 regular season.
- His 3 sacks project to 12 if he played all the snaps.