Guyton at Senior Bowl film breakdown

John813

Reaction score
Not that it'll mean much, but did he get any snaps at LT in the Senior bowl or since he was a RT at Oklahoma he just stuck at RT?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
what I like:
Feet and just overall movement skills.
He is as good as this draft presents for an OT with quick feet and natural athleticism.
Can shadow almost any DL move for move.
On the duo block he had his eyes up almost immediately looking for that 2nd block.
Can get relatively low for a guy with insane height.
Can bend without losing balance and tends to keep his feet easily.

what I don't like:
Hand placement is all over the place.
A little like Tyler Smith in that he could get called for holds at the next level just due to hand placement.
Far less raw power than Tyler but much, much better first step quickness.
Patient pass rushers that will lull him to sleep can win.
Average at best punch.
Leans into his blocks which helps with leverage and he gets away with due to balance but it is terrible technique.

overall: Guyton is a pure OT. He cannot play OG. His money maker is the sweet feet. He can get to the 2nd level as quick as anyone and he can mirror almost anyone.
I think he will really annoy Micah but learn some tough lessons from DLaw in camp.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
It's not just RT he played though. His QB was left handed so he protected his blind side.

In my opinion that's different then just a regular RT with right handed QB.swe
So we were hoping Penix dropped to Rd 2, lol. Maybe we draft the next LH one on day 3 haha

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So we were hoping Penix dropped to Rd 2, lol. Maybe we draft the next LH one on day 3 haha
Not really sure what that means.

Just because he played RT in college protecting a left handed QB blindside would have nothing to do with the NFL.

It does tell us that he has protected the blindside and not just a RT like some want to say.

Zordon

Reaction score
OU's strength and conditioning program has been subpar the last few years. He'll have a lot of room to grow. Just needs to stick w/ Steele since he's apparently a workout warrior.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
what I like:
He is as good as this draft presents for an OT with quick feet and natural athleticism.
On the duo block he had his eyes up almost immediately looking for that 2nd block.

what I don't like:
A little like Tyler Smith in that he could get called for holds at the next level just due to hand placement.
Average at best punch.
Leans into his blocks which helps with leverage and he gets away with due to balance but it is terrible technique.

overall: Guyton is a pure OT. He cannot play OG. His money maker is the sweet feet. He can get to the 2nd level as quick as anyone and he can mirror almost anyone.
I think he will really annoy Micah but learn some tough lessons from DLaw in camp.
Good stuff. So it looks like his no.1 attribute in year 1 is going to create lanes at the second level in the running game.

kskboys

Reaction score
Taking him at 29 plus another 3rd I can dig.

I'd be less happy if that's who we took at 24 given who was on the board.
In a nutshell!!!!!!

Not sure how long it will take him to get up to speed, as he is sort of projectish.

Smith22

Reaction score
what I like:

what I don't like:
Average at best punch.

Basically a raw, finesse style left tackle with good feet.

Hopefully they coach him up well.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
what I like:

what I don't like:
Average at best punch.

He is so raw in terms of technique. He didn't play OL until his 2nd year in college. He actually played TE that's how good his feet are. Right now he's weak in the run game and his hands are atrocious. Similar to tyler smith but that's y tyler smith moving inside hides those hand issues.

Guyton will be on an island and will be tough to watch for a little bit.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Well let me ask this forum a question: I f this guy did not have merits as an OT, how and who decided he was a first round pick? First round picks don't always turn out to be better pick than later rounds but he was listed as a first round pick on many draft boards. Lets just hope he is not into making tacos after every down.

blueblood70

Reaction score
what I like:

what I don't like:
Average at best punch.

In short you're saying that both tylers are gonna end up in their natural positions because that's what it feels like you want far more power less quick feet inside at guard and you want the big cat like moving from your tackle I mean the fact is I think a lot of things they got away with in college for all offensive lineman they will have to be taught better hand placement just like Tyler Smith did Guyton will learn from the same coaching staff that's hot Tyler Smith had to be better I mean if there's one thing I heard about Mike McCarthy is he's really good with offensive lineman and it's already been proven because everyone thought the Tyler Smith pick was a mistake and it was not.... He immediately played well at left tackle but now he's an all pro guard and that now we pick the tackle with upside very much the same we could fix his hand placement....

I'm just curious about day one game one left tackle will he start there talking about Tyler Guyton.. Can we go through the growing pains and hopefully Terrence Steele is back to his at least normal which wasn't always the best pass protection but we can't protect both tackles..

it's can we stop drafting a bunch of tylers and a bunch of Smiths along the offensive line because it gets very confusing LOL

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well let me ask this forum a question: I f this guy did not have merits as an OT, how and who decided he was a first round pick? First round picks don't always turn out to be better pick than later rounds but he was listed as a first round pick on many draft boards. Lets just hope he is not into making tacos after every down.
I don't know how to answer that but when Tyler Smith was picked everyone said it was a reach and no one had them on their radar and it worked out this guy was on some people's radar he's really big with a lot of upside and I trust that they'll develop him into a professional left tackle.. That's all that matters he has the skill set and the body of a pure left tackle and the only reason he was at right tackle more at Oklahoma was because they had a left-handed quarterback let's keep that in mind people are not talking about that I believe he could have been a left tackle but he was truly protecting the backside of a left-handed quarterback... So hopefully he'll workout but also keep in mind he went 29 that's nearly in the second round when you're picking as low as the Cowboys do keep that in mind it's not like we took this guy in the top 15 he literally went 29th not a big deal..