Guyton at Senior Bowl film breakdown

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
OU's strength and conditioning program has been subpar the last few years. He'll have a lot of room to grow. Just needs to stick w/ Steele since he's apparently a workout warrior.
They brought back Jerry Schmidt after Riley left. S&C is vastly improved, but Guyton could definitely use a year or two in an NFL weight room to fill out that massive frame.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I am not trying to be salty and lord knows this front office deserves all the heat in the world.
I am just confused on Guyton and these draft takes I see all over.
He is about the same level of day 1 ready as Tyler Smith and picked in the late R1.
They pick up an overpay in early R3 for the trade.
As stupid as they are with contracts, they have milked pick 24 for all it was worth IMO.
Best case he has no issue as a LT.

Maybe he allows them to get out of the Steele mistake after this season and stays at RT.

I think it’s important for folks to realize that finding several plug and play starters while picking late without extra capital isn’t realistic.

Anyone who was looking for this draft to fix what didn’t happen in FA is going to be disappointed.

Many have been saying they need to land several day one starters. If they trade up for an injured RB today, there’s a good shot they get none of those.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Best case he has no issue as a LT.

Maybe he allows them to get out of the Steele mistake after this season and stays at RT.

I think it’s important for folks to realize that finding several plug and play starters while picking late without extra capital isn’t realistic.

Anyone who was looking for this draft to fix what didn’t happen in FA is going to be disappointed.

Many have been saying they need to land several day one starters. If they trade up for an injured RB today, there’s a good shot they get none of those.
We really needed to get a starter at tackle in FA

sbark

Reaction score
They brought back Jerry Schmidt after Riley left. S&C is vastly improved, but Guyton could definitely use a year or two in an NFL weight room to fill out that massive frame.
Wonder who is stronger?
Guyton, A.Richards...or Waletzgo

All 3 be ready by next year

conner01

Reaction score
They may well start him and just flip protection to help him. They did that with Tyler Smith and it was OK.

All the bring Tyron back guys miss that he was out as much as he was in.
Last 4 seasons, 2,11,4,13 games. So even with Tyron this likely would have been the pick.
And he couldn't practice last year his stoutest of the 4 seasons.
Would have been lovely to have him one more year but that wasn't worth a deal that escalates to 15M+ IMHO.
But my guess is you could have gotten a deal done for a lot less than that as he has never been a guy that wanted to leave.

A final year of Tyron while Guyton got all the practice reps at LT sounds about perfect to me.
In a perfect world that would be ideal. But if they help him out and work on his technique he may be fine. He has the potential and raw tools to be a good player

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not that it's that simple, but his NFL draft profile has to me one very good comment:

• Is light on starting experience but heavy on coveted traits.
You're not making a top NFL LT from a guy who doesn't have strength, length, foot movement and quickness.

Guyton has all of those it appears.

I like the pick...

conner01

Reaction score
Terrence steele sucks anyway. Gives me zero confidence at either tackle position
He played better as the season went on. He was coming off a serious injury so I wasn’t shocked he struggled though he struggled more than I expected. If he doesn’t bounce back we will be going tackle early again next year

RS12

Reaction score
What I saw in the practice film: 1) He looks comfortable and competent taking snaps as RT. LT not nearly as much. 2) He is vulnerable at either spot to the inside counter move.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He played better as the season went on. He was coming off a serious injury so I wasn’t shocked he struggled though he struggled more than I expected. If he doesn’t bounce back we will be going tackle early again next year
He was atrocious. He wasn't even average. Awful signing

Techsass

Reaction score
Hopefully he has a work horse mentality & it doesn't take that long to overcome his "raw" label. Worst case scenario we can list him as eligible when we're in the Red Zone & he can put that TE experience to use.