Guyton at Senior Bowl film breakdown

CCBoy

Reaction score
You thought we were drafting a proven day 1 starting LT at 24?
I'm genuinely curious as to some of these weird takes.
He protected the blind side side of a left handed quarterback. He maintains low pad level with strong height and time as a defensive lineman. Good movement and measureables. He already is physical and will fill in as he develops in the NFL as all 'rooks' do. Bring it on.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Basically a raw, finesse style left tackle with good feet.

Hopefully they coach him up well.
indeed. can see in that call to him he looks like a basketball player in street clothes.
very tyron smith like. athletyic, low bodyfat, long as a summer day.
guess we find out how good schoon can block because we prolly need to stick a TE over by Guyton year 1.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well let me ask this forum a question: I f this guy did not have merits as an OT, how and who decided he was a first round pick? First round picks don't always turn out to be better pick than later rounds but he was listed as a first round pick on many draft boards. Lets just hope he is not into making tacos after every down.
He was almost universally OT4 to 5 and with a ceiling near the level of the top 3.
He is a prototype of OT.
He is just raw with no consistency to his technique.
The positive is he won with that poor technique anyway, even at the senior bowl versus draftable DL.

I'd have been far more concerned had we taken the 285 pound DE which is a Taco nightmare to me.
He was the last R1 OT on most boards.
Morgan is often moved to OG because he lacks length.
Dallas was repeatedly mocked to Guyton because of that need at OT and he was the only guy in that area of the draft that is a pure OT.

But again Dallas fans hated Micah --offball LB, Fredbeard (R3 on draft sites they trusted), and so on and so forth.
They also hated Taco so it is clear we gotta let this kid play a bit and see.

I expect he will need help as a rookie and may even force Tyler there for a few games but really leap in year 2.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
He only played a few snaps at LT in actual game time. Needs experience playing football.
Figures that the Cowboys would pick a project for their first round pick. Everyone else picks someone who is polished enough to start. The Cowboys? No, we like our project.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Not really sure what that means.

Just because he played RT in college protecting a left handed QB blindside would have nothing to do with the NFL.

It does tell us that he has protected the blindside and not just a RT like some want to say.
It suggests that Jerry saw that he was protecting a LH QB, and figured if he drafts him he should pick a complimentary LH QB to make the transition comfy and cozy

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not buying any of the hype around any draft picks this year. I want to see what these picks do on the football field. That isn't just for the Cowboys but for every team - but particularly the Cowboys who claim star status for their picks every year.

I think Guyton has more question marks than an SAT test, but if this is who they wanted, and they traded down to get another 3 and still got their guy, then kudos to them. Let's see who they pick in the 3rd round then we can ask would we rather have the Duke kid at C, or Guyton and whoever the take at 73.

But let's face some facts. Guyton has limited experience at OT. He played RT in college and now has to move to the left side. People saying he protected the blind side for a left handed QB are missing the point. The point is he could struggled switching sides only because the setup and visuals are different for him. In one sense, his lack of experience may benefit him because even playing RT was new to him. He's supposedly athletic, but that's not as important to me as being a football player. Lot's of athletic guys have failed in the NFL. He has the measurements, but that is not the same as blocking an NFL guy in front of you.

We are all hoping he is as good as Tyler Smith was coming out of college, but I want to see if he is strong enough and his technique is solid enough going against NFL Edge rushers and DEs. Good feet is only part of it. NFL players are much quicker than what he is used to in college and that takes some getting used to. Tyler Guyton was the 8th college OT taken in round 1. Most years the 8th OT would be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. He has great potential, but they almost have to plug him in a LT for week 1, unless you want to see Chuma Edoga starting LT in September.

One thought I had as the draft was progressing to the Cowboys pick was how much better it would have been had they signed Tyron Smith for another year or two. The Cowboys took Guyton because they needed a LT, I was wondering if they would have taken Barton had they had Tyron on the roster still, or even a WR. I do believe they would have had a lot more flexibility.

I know this sounds negative but I don't mean it to be. I am just taking a wait and see attitude for Guyton, and every other pick.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’ve heard tackles say that switching sides is no big deal, and others say that it’s like asking someone to do everyday life with the opposite hand.

I had the same concerns about Tyron, and also wasn’t sold on Tyler Smith (jeez these guys all have the same damn name lol), so I’m gonna shockingly give the team the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Today…this day. Friday. Jerry’s day to play GM, is where things have been blown lately, and how too many UDFAs end up on the field.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The weirder take is that you thought I was serious
I am not trying to be salty and lord knows this front office deserves all the heat in the world.
I am just confused on Guyton and these draft takes I see all over.
He is about the same level of day 1 ready as Tyler Smith and picked in the late R1.
They pick up an overpay in early R3 for the trade.
As stupid as they are with contracts, they have milked pick 24 for all it was worth IMO.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's been said that Guyton is raw and most likely, he'll be obliged to improve his pass protection at LT in the pro game. That's not to say it's somewhat doubtful that he will, however. He has the excellent movement and strength to fare well from the start, although, there will be DEs in the pro game that may occasionally give him some early cause for concern. Nevertheless, he has sufficient potential to mold into a LT that we'll be extremely proud of.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I think he’s young and will need to grow into more of man’s body and that of an OT. A year with the correct diet and weight training will be a boost for him.

Love the feet, hate the hands right now. Hopefully he responds to coaching.

I don’t hate as much as I did before doing a deeper dive.

conner01

Reaction score
You thought we were drafting a proven day 1 starting LT at 24?
I'm genuinely curious as to some of these weird takes.
Great point. It’s unrealistic to expect a day one starter at LT in the 24 spot. But he has the tools to develop into a good player. In a perfect world I’d start him at RT but not sure that’s possible with Steele

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am not buying any of the hype around any draft picks this year. I want to see what these picks do on the football field. That isn't just for the Cowboys but for every team - but particularly the Cowboys who claim star status for their picks every year.

I think Guyton has more question marks than an SAT test, but if this is who they wanted, and they traded down to get another 3 and still got their guy, then kudos to them. Let's see who they pick in the 3rd round then we can ask would we rather have the Duke kid at C, or Guyton and whoever the take at 73.

But let's face some facts. Guyton has limited experience at OT. He played RT in college and now has to move to the left side. People saying he protected the blind side for a left handed QB are missing the point. The point is he could struggled switching sides only because the setup and visuals are different for him. In one sense, his lack of experience may benefit him because even playing RT was new to him. He's supposedly athletic, but that's not as important to me as being a football player. Lot's of athletic guys have failed in the NFL. He has the measurements, but that is not the same as blocking an NFL guy in front of you.

We are all hoping he is as good as Tyler Smith was coming out of college, but I want to see if he is strong enough and his technique is solid enough going against NFL Edge rushers and DEs. Good feet is only part of it. NFL players are much quicker than what he is used to in college and that takes some getting used to. Tyler Guyton was the 8th college OT taken in round 1. Most years the 8th OT would be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. He has great potential, but they almost have to plug him in a LT for week 1, unless you want to see Chuma Edoga starting LT in September.

One thought I had as the draft was progressing to the Cowboys pick was how much better it would have been had they signed Tyron Smith for another year or two. The Cowboys took Guyton because they needed a LT, I was wondering if they would have taken Barton had they had Tyron on the roster still, or even a WR. I do believe they would have had a lot more flexibility.

I know this sounds negative but I don't mean it to be. I am just taking a wait and see attitude for Guyton, and every other pick.
Lots of fair point sin there so I'll agree wiht 99% here and just disagree wiht the concepot that eh was the 8th OT.
He was not the 8th OT on any NFL team board,
Lots of college OTs with more experience will never play a single OT snap in their NFL career.
It is very likely Barton is such an example.
And could also apply to Morgan.
If so it becomes pretty apparent that Dallas made a hard decision to get an OT and moved around til that pick was at its best value.

I'd rather train Guyton at LT than play a guy out of his physical wheelhouse like using Morgan or Barton at LT would have been.
In a sense this is the Cowboys listening to Duke.
Dp what it takes to keep Tyler at LG because he is all-world there.

Now lets hope they can finable a LB, OC and RB for good values as we move forward.

But yea they all gotta prove it. Pick 1 through the very last guy taken.

conner01

Reaction score
I think he’s young and will need to grow into more of man’s body and that of an OT. A year with the correct diet and weight training will be a boost for him.

Love the feet, hate the hands right now. Hopefully he responds to coaching.

I don’t hate as much as I did before doing a deeper dive.
Too me hands are easier to teach than feet. But I’m no oline coach. He will get stronger which will help. Hopefully he gets great coaching. I’m not sold on our oline coach but we will see. At 24 you got a really good prospect and a 3rd rnd pick so not much to not like

conner01

Reaction score
He is so raw in terms of technique. He didn't play OL until his 2nd year in college. He actually played TE that's how good his feet are. Right now he's weak in the run game and his hands are atrocious. Similar to tyler smith but that's y tyler smith moving inside hides those hand issues.

Guyton will be on an island and will be tough to watch for a little bit.
I think that’s fair. In a perfect world he’d play RT initially to develop. But I like the raw tools he has

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Great point. It’s unrealistic to expect a day one starter at LT in the 24 spot. But he has the tools to develop into a good player. In a perfect world I’d start him at RT but not sure that’s possible with Steele
They may well start him and just flip protection to help him. They did that with Tyler Smith and it was OK.

All the bring Tyron back guys miss that he was out as much as he was in.
Last 4 seasons, 2,11,4,13 games. So even with Tyron this likely would have been the pick.
And he couldn't practice last year his stoutest of the 4 seasons.
Would have been lovely to have him one more year but that wasn't worth a deal that escalates to 15M+ IMHO.
But my guess is you could have gotten a deal done for a lot less than that as he has never been a guy that wanted to leave.

A final year of Tyron while Guyton got all the practice reps at LT sounds about perfect to me.

conner01

Reaction score
Lots of fair point sin there so I'll agree wiht 99% here and just disagree wiht the concepot that eh was the 8th OT.
He was not the 8th OT on any NFL team board,
Lots of college OTs with more experience will never play a single OT snap in their NFL career.
It is very likely Barton is such an example.
And could also apply to Morgan.
If so it becomes pretty apparent that Dallas made a hard decision to get an OT and moved around til that pick was at its best value.

I'd rather train Guyton at LT than play a guy out of his physical wheelhouse like using Morgan or Barton at LT would have been.
In a sense this is the Cowboys listening to Duke.
Dp what it takes to keep Tyler at LG because he is all-world there.

Now lets hope they can finable a LB, OC and RB for good values as we move forward.

But yea they all gotta prove it. Pick 1 through the very last guy taken.
I thought he was the 4th best tackle myself. I agree smith is much better at guard and Barton is not a tackle in the nfl. I really like Barton but as a center. Guyton is raw but has the tools to be a LT if he develops his technique. He is a great athlete just raw in his technique