Had to put our dog down Wednesday. This game made me cry

Flamma

Reaction score
CowboysZone Team,

On Wednesday, I got home from work and my wife looked really upset which I rarely if ever see from her. I said you look like you are about to tell me something terrible, and she said "I am. Your mom had to put down Maya this afternoon."

Maya lived a great life and was 12. I lived with her for a good bit of her life before moving out and beginning a life with my wife. She was an amazing dog and I had a really special bond with her. I also lost my dad at age 56 to a nasty disease called PML, which he got from having 13 years of multiple sclerosis.

That final drive I prayed and looked up to the sky and begged my father and Maya to just let us have this win. I needed this so bad after spending the last 3 days crying. Now I'm crying even more because they delivered on my prayer. I think I've only ever cried twice from a game and this is now one of those two times. Go Cowboys
Sometimes I think we're idiots to get so attached to such short lived beings. Having to put down my 8 year old Golden Lab to cancer was devastating. I've never had any tragic deaths in the family, so that was worse than most family member deaths. I bring this up because for some reason I thought of my dopey dog during that game at the end. I don't know why.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So, now God loves Cowboys fans more than Seahawk fans? The OP seems to be suggesting there is a supreme being out there that intervenes in the result of sporting events? This just reminds me why CZ rules don't want religon as a topic of discussion.
Absolutely, mate.
Recall Isaac Alarcón, the lad from Mexico? Fine young man.
But during the 2022 preseason (Preseason!) his talkative mom was heard praying in the stands to señor de los cielos that her son and the Cowboys beat whatever chumps they were playing.
I thought to me self "the lord cares about a preseason game????"

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sometimes I think we're idiots to get so attached to such short lived beings. Having to put down my 8 year old Golden Lab to cancer was devastating. I've never had any tragic deaths in the family, so that was worse than most family member deaths. I bring this up because for some reason I thought of my dopey dog during that game at the end. I don't know why.
Did you really just say that an animal dying was worse than any family member’s death?

We really need to get our priorities straight. I agree with you when you say that we are idiots for getting so attached to non-human creatures.

Beaker42

Reaction score
CowboysZone Team,

On Wednesday, I got home from work and my wife looked really upset which I rarely if ever see from her. I said you look like you are about to tell me something terrible, and she said "I am. Your mom had to put down Maya this afternoon."

Maya lived a great life and was 12. I lived with her for a good bit of her life before moving out and beginning a life with my wife. She was an amazing dog and I had a really special bond with her. I also lost my dad at age 56 to a nasty disease called PML, which he got from having 13 years of multiple sclerosis.

That final drive I prayed and looked up to the sky and begged my father and Maya to just let us have this win. I needed this so bad after spending the last 3 days crying. Now I'm crying even more because they delivered on my prayer. I think I've only ever cried twice from a game and this is now one of those two times. Go Cowboys
So sorry buddy, it sucks and it never gets easier. They become more than a part of the family. They’re the best of us. Prayers to you and your family.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So sorry buddy, it sucks and it never gets easier. They become more than a part of the family. They’re the best of us. Prayers to you and your family.
Im honestly curious. What do you mean by “they become more than a part of the family” and “they’re the best of us”?

Flamma

Reaction score
Did you really just say that an animal dying was worse than any family member’s death?

We really need to get our priorities straight. I agree with you when you say that we are idiots for getting so attached to non-human creatures.
It's not as simple as that. When someone dies suddenly, or tragically, that's one thing. But when someone you love (not a child) is sick and dying over many months, you come to accept the inevitable long before they pass. The pain of the loss doesn't hit you all at once. A pet, although not a child, is childlike. If you get too attached, it can be very bad when they die suddenly. My dog went from seemingly healthy one day, to having to be put down within a week.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
CowboysZone Team,

Sorry for your loss, I've cried a lot watching the cowboys. On a side note, not a shot at you or your situation in any way but how do they not move this post to another zone? They move my stuff all the time. RIP Maya.

cowboyed

Reaction score
CowboysZone Team,

A long time companion dog is a big part of your family. I had to do put down my dog of 15 years I had named Ringo. He was a Schipperke and had an amazing personality. I lost my composure and started crying as they were giving him the needle that mercifully put him to permanent sleep as he was in a lot of pain at his old age. Deeply reflecting or thinking about loss, adversity and things in general usually helps me achieve peace of mind and therefore works best for me. I will always miss Ringo, but not his overpowering dog farts.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not as simple as that. When someone dies suddenly, or tragically, that's one thing. But when someone you love (not a child) is sick and dying over many months, you come to accept the inevitable long before they pass. The pain of the loss doesn't hit you all at once. A pet, although not a child, is childlike. If you get too attached, it can be very bad when they die suddenly. My dog went from seemingly healthy one day, to having to be put down within a week.
Umm okay.

Not anywhere nearly the same, but we are messed up as a society.

Its a dog. Not a spouse, parent, best friend, etc.
I don’t care if its my wife dying of cancer over a year but the dog was quickly run over by a car all of a sudden.
The dog is an animal and it shouldn’t be anywhere near as hard on us as spouse, etc…

This is really messed up.