CFZ Half empty glass thinking when we don't know

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, this is not the right time for this.

We came off a playoff loss and jettisoned 6 starters/major contributors, Cooper, Gregory, Collins, Williams, Wilson, LVE. We might lose 7 if Kearse walks. Whether they are great players or not doesnt matter. They were the best we had last year and we have done nothing to replace them. Literally nothing. The team is objectovely weaker today than it was before.

Unlike last year, we likely won't land a generational talent in this draft. We're picking bottom third each round, not the top half And even if we did land a phenom, what do we do with the other 6 positions that need starters? What do we do to upgrade starters that actually suck (C, DT)? How do we look ahead to replacing departing players next year?

This team has no plan outside of pray for the best. What is there to feel optimistic about?
The roster is not set yet so we don't really know, do we?

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't give him the benefit of the doubt at all. He kept McClay so he puts stock in his board.

Any positives I have are in spite of Booger.

As far as remaining positive, why do this at all? Are people so masochistic they need this team? Not enough in society in general to bring a funk.

I will share what I have learned and it took me 64 years to learn it. Optimism's reward is not in the destination but in the journey. I have enough in my life that I know about to get down about, when presented with the unknown, even with history, I choose to give the positive side an even break.

I do not expect this to change anyone's attitude but posters seem so miserable I thought it worth a shot to consider another approach.

Some make this mistake of thinking if they're optimistic, they're buying into Booger's BS and I think that's wrong. I see just as much reason for optimism as the other side so it becomes a matter of choice.

I guess but I'd need to see better reasons as to why there is as much reason for optimism as pessimism at this point. Again, we aren't talking about one bad end to one season here. It's been a quarter century of ineptitude from the Jones'. Other franchises often have optimism but that likely comes because the owner gives them a reason for optimism - often times in the form of a new GM who claims he has a plan.

We don't have that luxury. The same two guys who have led us to 25 years wandering through the desert are the same two guys making decisions today and will make those decisions for the next decade or longer (well at least one of them will).

I'd understand asking why people are negative so early if we were coming off a SB run say 2-3 seasons ago and had a few successful playoff runs here or there. But we haven't. THREE PLAYOFF WINS in 25 years. It's bizarre that some are puzzled why many fans are negative so early in an offseason.

Gaede

Reaction score
The roster is not set yet so we don't really know, do we?

But be realistic. Where are the starters coming from? How will the roster improve? We only have so many levers avaiable to attain talent and will only use one, the draft, which is notorious for not yielding instant results. Incremental improvements in certain players (like Steele or Zeke) are offset by incremental declines in other players (Tyron, Dlaw), and we still have an offensive coordinator, QB, and head coach that were figured out and stalemated since mid-season. We were outmatched, outclassed, and plain ol' beat up by all the good teams last year. Teams that have actually invested in themselves this offseason, while we have done the opposite

I get it. We don't know what the team will look like in September. But all the Carlos Watkins and Kelvin Joseph's in the world aren't going to help us field a better team than last year. Fans have every right to look ahead and project a terrible season.

shabazz

Reaction score
Company's Coming

eww, I hope not…..but on a serious note, when we see moves made like the Rams made, it gives us a reason for positivity. If we stay status quo, we should expect the same results

if we lose players and not replace them with better players, we shouldn’t expect to be any better.

Elementary, my dear Watson…….yet somehow most of us show up anyway.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
First, last year's team and accomplishments are irrelevant now. They and the rest of the league are 0-0 and have won nothing yet.

This team is clearly worse for losing Collins, Cooper and Gregory. The Cowboys are clearly sticking to the philosophy of not signing tier 1 free agents so the replacements for the guys they lost will be rookies or low priced inferior players. The Cowboys are already pumping up Basham, Armstrong and Golston as DEs to replace Gregory. This is what we know we are going to be in 2022. The glass isn't half empty, it is well below the halfway park. There has been a talent drain in Dallas this offseason. We should expect the worst when the games begin.
Cooper 68 receptions 865 yard/ Collins 12 games 2021 0 games 2020/ Gregory 16.5sacks 7 years,6.5 sacks 2021. I like randy and he’ll be a good player but Cooper is starting to enter the injury stage and screw Collins
Yes the Cowboys would be better with Cooper and Gregory and their 35M salary combines. Glad Collins is gone

bewp7

Reaction score
no one on this organization diserve any benefit of the doubt for any thing

also to be honist i and i know many other cowboys fan have zero faith in jerry, stephen, mccarthy, etc so i expict to be let down so it just make it easier to have NO expecitations and that is to be negative about stuff

MajesticRey

Reaction score
@CouchCoach
You’re right, we still have the draft to look forward to, and see if we make ANY relevant moves in Free Agency.

So far we’ve only gotten “worse” simply due to the fact that we’ve lost decent/good players and haven’t replaced them with anyone better or of similar skill.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For 60 minutes each game we can retain some hope for a good game and positive result.

Despite whatever dysfunctional actions take place throughout the year with this embarrassment we call our ownership we still can hold on to that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, this is not the right time for this.

We came off a playoff loss and jettisoned 6 starters/major contributors, Cooper, Gregory, Collins, Williams, Wilson, LVE. We might lose 7 if Kearse walks. Whether they are great players or not doesnt matter. They were the best we had last year and we have done nothing to replace them. Literally nothing. The team is objectovely weaker today than it was before. If we lined up today, your starting

Unlike last year, we likely won't land a generational talent in this draft. We're picking bottom third each round, not the top half . And even if we did somehow land a phenom (in a draft that is severly lacking in top tier talent), what do we do with the other 6 positions that need starters? What do we do to upgrade starters that actually suck (C, DT, RB)? How do we look ahead to replacing departing players next year?

This team has no plan outside of pray for the best. What is there to feel optimistic about?

Didn't the same thing happen from 2020, replaced a lot of starter and key rotational players?
Only to go 12-5. So maybe this year they won't improve upon 12-5, it would be hard for most teams to improve upon that even keeping the team together.
But I certainly do not think they will go below .500 either, barring injuries top players.

What is to feel optimistic about....because it is a new season, and anything can happen. It is the enjoyment of football.
If I ever go into a season feeling crappy and whiny and complain all the time, especially about the past, it is time to give up being a fan of the sport.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
no one on this organization diserve any benefit of the doubt for any thing

also to be honist i and i know many other cowboys fan have zero faith in jerry, stephen, mccarthy, etc so i expict to be let down so it just make it easier to have NO expecitations and that is to be negative about stuff
For our less serious fans though there is a need for this to be fun entertainment despite the results . They get weighed down by the reality which isn’t fun. And why it’s difficult for the half glass full and empty fans to coexist.

The half empty glass fans desperately want their cups filled . But after decades aren’t until there’s just cause or results .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Didn't the same thing happen from 2020, replaced a lot of starter and key rotational players?
Only to go 12-5. So maybe this year they won't improve upon 12-5, it would be hard for most teams to improve upon that even keeping the team together.
But I certainly do not think they will go below .500 either, barring injuries top players.

What is to feel optimistic about....because it is a new season, and anything can happen. It is the enjoyment of football.
If I ever go into a season feeling crappy and whiny and complain all the time, especially about the past, it is time to give up being a fan of the sport.
I’ve been an apathetic fan of my Alma Mater for as long as I’ve been a Cowboy fan about 60 years .

It’s just a different mentality . You still root your team on you just lower expectations with different attitudes. Winning definitely makes it more fun.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
First, last year's team and accomplishments are irrelevant now. They and the rest of the league are 0-0 and have won nothing yet.

This team is clearly worse for losing Collins, Cooper and Gregory. The Cowboys are clearly sticking to the philosophy of not signing tier 1 free agents so the replacements for the guys they lost will be rookies or low priced inferior players. The Cowboys are already pumping up Basham, Armstrong and Golston as DEs to replace Gregory. This is what we know we are going to be in 2022. The glass isn't half empty, it is well below the halfway park. There has been a talent drain in Dallas this offseason. We should expect the worst when the games begin.

But when you can't fill every hole, you have to make the decision of where to put the resources.

With the Oline we have (more accurately haven't) got, that's the number 1 concern.

Cowboys Fans wanting all elite names again....a team is built not bought.

ESisback

Reaction score
OK, I get it. Bad way to lose a playoff game and it wasn't the first time the Cowboys got bounced so there is that "here we go again" attitude but why go to the negative side when we really don't know about several players that will be asked to step up?

This negative vibe so early in the year is not healthy. Don't give into the dark side so quickly and throw in the towel before the draft happens.

What don't we know?

Steele at RT full time unless they go after an OT.
Whomever at LG because that will not be McGovern because they already tried that.
Elliott healthy because he wasn't last season. Shades of Emmitt when they thought he was done and he played on a bad ankle all year. Bad wheels on a RB is not good.
Pollard's contribution because I think that is increasing.
Lamb as the #1WR. They thought he might struggle at OU when Brown left for the NFL and he was better than Brown. And the QB seems to like Lamb and Gallup, along with Schultz, as his favorite targets.
Gallup asking to be more, do more than he has been asked to do before. And he's saying all the right things. He is a very good WR, the only question is the timing of his 100% return.
The #3 WR is not on the team yet.
The effect of McC and Moore being put on the spot because the offense fizzled at the end.

Parsons soph year and how he is implemented in the defense because what we do know is that Quinn stayed. We do know this is a very special player and he's becoming a leader.
The DL is not complete, we do know this.
What the LB corps is going to look like.
The secondary is incomplete but it led the NFL in picks in 2021 and Diggs is still improving.
What players from the D heavy 2021 draft are ready to take the next step because we didn't get to see enough of them.

We do not know what the East is going to look like but I like the Cowboys chances with Jones, Wentz and Hurts as the other QB's. You might be disappointed by the lack of action in FA with the Cowboys but what have the others done to improve?

My point is why just default to the negative when we don't know?

What we do know.

This coaching staff and team went 12-6, swept the East by 20ppg and yes, they only went 6-5 outside the division but that was last year, not this year.

There are reasons to be positive and negative, the choice is yours but with so little known at this time, why not give yourself a break and at least hang in the middle until you do know more. At least give yourself until the draft.

Amen.

The PJG Nude Bake Sale went down last night without incident. 6p-midnight in front of the boarded up Kmart. Two dozen Keebler Choc Chip Cookies, 4 boxes of outdated Girl Scout cookies, and 2 sheets of Gipper’s Special Brownies (nudge, wink)! No cops, although the Mayor’s daughter wondered aloud about an old fat nude stoner in a lawn chair, chomping on Ganga treats…

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to implement a new culture here in Dallas. Let's not complain about every single move and free agent miss. I did not want Von Miller for 6 years 120 million. I never wanted Randy Gregory for 70 million. Six sacks? That's insanity. We get a younger player with almost identical stats in dorrance armstrong.

I'm glad Collins is gone because he let us down last year and the year before that. Williams is also gone. Thank god. Some people said he was a good lineman here and I'm sure those are the same people who said Brandon car was a good cornerback. I have no idea what they're watching.

Just be patient. This needed to be blown up after the first round loss. Yet again.

Yes some changes needed to be made. And they have been, even if not exactly by plan. And many as usual do not like it. Because it is not what they wanted.

I agree, we got lucky by not getting stuck with a Gregory contract for 5 years. Though if he signed I would not really complain either. I knew Armstrong would be back, but now at a higher cost than what I feel should be, but that does not matter now. But I am ok with it, let's see what happens.
Cooper or Gallup one was going to be gone, we knew this as soon as Cooper signed his deal a few years ago. However, the ones that did not like that are now saying it is stupid to only get a 5th round for him. But yet Gallup is here, and we got Lamb falling to us to be just as well off at this point w knew was coming.
Remember the hundreds of threads about Cooper or Gallup, or trade Gallup while you can debates.

Williams is gone, and those that wanted him gone wanted McGovern, but yet he flopped, so now what. Move Collins to LG, oh, he just been released, saves $10 million in cap, eventually. Need to draft a LG now. That is ok.
So Von Miller got a HUGE deal somewhere else, and before they ragged on the FO, seen the deal, they still rag on them. If he would have signed that deal here...could you imagine...get what you want then go ballistic. :laugh:

Some say cut player X because of a stupid contract paying to much, then they turn around and complain the FO is stupid for not bringing in any top FA...which would cost the same or more than the player they want cut. :huh:

This place is better comedy than SNL, and that does not take much. :laugh:

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes some changes needed to be made. And they have been, even if not exactly by plan. And many as usual do not like it. Because it is not what they wanted.

I agree, we got lucky by not getting stuck with a Gregory contract for 5 years. Though if he signed I would not really complain either. I knew Armstrong would be back, but now at a higher cost than what I feel should be, but that does not matter now. But I am ok with it, let's see what happens.
Cooper or Gallup one was going to be gone, we knew this as soon as Cooper signed his deal a few years ago. However, the ones that did not like that are now saying it is stupid to only get a 5th round for him. But yet Gallup is here, and we got Lamb falling to us to be just as well off at this point w knew was coming.
Remember the hundreds of threads about Cooper or Gallup, or trade Gallup while you can debates.

Williams is gone, and those that wanted him gone wanted McGovern, but yet he flopped, so now what. Move Collins to LG, oh, he just been released, saves $10 million in cap, eventually. Need to draft a LG now. That is ok.
So Von Miller got a HUGE deal somewhere else, and before they ragged on the FO, seen the deal, they still rag on them. If he would have signed that deal here...could you imagine...get what you want then go ballistic. :laugh:

Some say cut player X because of a stupid contract paying to much, then they turn around and complain the FO is stupid for not bringing in any top FA...which would cost the same or more than the player they want cut. :huh:

This place is better comedy than SNL, and that does not take much. :laugh:
That's why it's better to pay attention to those who deserve it.

rambo2

Reaction score
I know that they have 9 draft picks and they have money to spend in free agency. They are already the favorite to win the division and they actually have the best pass rusher in football in Parsons. I'm thinking that they will get some key free agents. I find it interesting that Bobby Wagner, L. Smith, and Fletcher Cox are available and like the possible players that they can add in the draft.

kskboys

Reaction score

No, it didn't.

coult44

Reaction score
OK, I get it. Bad way to lose a playoff game and it wasn't the first time the Cowboys got bounced so there is that "here we go again" attitude but why go to the negative side when we really don't know about several players that will be asked to step up?

This negative vibe so early in the year is not healthy. Don't give into the dark side so quickly and throw in the towel before the draft happens.

What don't we know?

Steele at RT full time unless they go after an OT.
Whomever at LG because that will not be McGovern because they already tried that.
Elliott healthy because he wasn't last season. Shades of Emmitt when they thought he was done and he played on a bad ankle all year. Bad wheels on a RB is not good.
Pollard's contribution because I think that is increasing.
Lamb as the #1WR. They thought he might struggle at OU when Brown left for the NFL and he was better than Brown. And the QB seems to like Lamb and Gallup, along with Schultz, as his favorite targets.
Gallup asking to be more, do more than he has been asked to do before. And he's saying all the right things. He is a very good WR, the only question is the timing of his 100% return.
The #3 WR is not on the team yet.
The effect of McC and Moore being put on the spot because the offense fizzled at the end.

Parsons soph year and how he is implemented in the defense because what we do know is that Quinn stayed. We do know this is a very special player and he's becoming a leader.
The DL is not complete, we do know this.
What the LB corps is going to look like.
The secondary is incomplete but it led the NFL in picks in 2021 and Diggs is still improving.
What players from the D heavy 2021 draft are ready to take the next step because we didn't get to see enough of them.

We do not know what the East is going to look like but I like the Cowboys chances with Jones, Wentz and Hurts as the other QB's. You might be disappointed by the lack of action in FA with the Cowboys but what have the others done to improve?

My point is why just default to the negative when we don't know?

What we do know.

This coaching staff and team went 12-6, swept the East by 20ppg and yes, they only went 6-5 outside the division but that was last year, not this year.

There are reasons to be positive and negative, the choice is yours but with so little known at this time, why not give yourself a break and at least hang in the middle until you do know more. At least give yourself until the draft.

We do know that we are going on 27 years of being a losing franchise. We do know that the “we’re gonna do it our way” philosophy is the motto the Jones family lives by. We do know that you can’t build a successful team that is ever competing for championships only through the draft and bottom floor of free agency. We do know that all the top teams in the NFL have made themselves better this off season. We do know that the Cowboys are worse right now than they were the end of the year.

Have you been paying attention bro. All the best teams have got better. Who cares about the East? Look at the contenders.

We haven’t “defaulted” to being negative. It’s what they have created the fan base to be. It has actually came to the point of of total and complete failure.

Gaede

Reaction score

Our best hope is that anything can happen. Just like the Jags and Browns. Never count yourself out, any given Sunday bla bla.

It's a lot easier to win when your team tries to improve. They aren't trying. Hoping and praying for good results is not how a billionaire dollar business runs. That's how amateurs do it.

Nothing wrong with calling that out.

Last edited: