CFZ Half empty glass thinking when we don't know

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our best hope is that anything can happen. Just like the Jags and Browns. Never count yourself out, any given Sunday bla bla.

It's a lot easier to win when your team tries to improve. They aren't trying.

Nothing wrong with calling that out.

It hasn't even been a week into FA yet. And still a lot of BIG name players out there if that is what you want them to sign.
Maybe the price tag is too high.

I don't see any of the other 31 teams teams flocking to their lot to buy.

It is like a used car lot. Do you buy the over priced shiny new car, that looks great on the outside, with a high price tag, but could be old and rusty on the inside.
or do you drive on down to the next lot to see what they have. Looks bad on the outside, but underneath could be a gem, for a lower cost, and good value.

:thumbup:

Verdict

Reaction score
Potential areas of improvement include a second year jump for a lot of last years rookies and probably some contributions from our first three draft picks this year. I'll withhold judgement until free agency and the draft is over. But if we start the season as the team with the 7th most salary cap space I'll be extremely disappointed.
I won’t be disappointed with cap space. That’s an opportunity going forward.

What I would be really disappointed with is wasting that cap space on average or below average players. And I think that’s a LOT more likely.

cowboyec

Reaction score
because for some it doesnt matter what we do or dont do...they still are gonna lament.
some spent the whole season crappin' on the players we just lost...you know...the ones that are soft weak minded over rated over paid over valued by us homers....now the loss of all that dead weight is the reason why we wont win next year.
but if they are soft weak minded over rated over hyped over paid...then i'd think they'd be happy about it.
they're not.
because its pretend.
its a facade.
it doesnt matter what we do or dont do.
who we sign dont sign trade or cut.

personally...i choose the half full side.
because its harder.
its too easy to pitch in the towel.
screw that.
im too damn old.
the off season is too damn long.
and the season is too damn short for all that woe is us nonsense.
screw that noise.
:starspin:COWBOYS DAMN IT:starspin:

morasp

Reaction score
I won’t be disappointed with cap space. That’s an opportunity going forward.

What I would be really disappointed with is wasting that cap space on average or below average players. And I think that’s a LOT more likely.
$26 million is a lot of opportunity 36 after June 1st. They haven't been very good in free agency but than again their drafts have been less than inspiring lately too. My concern is they think they're good enough on defense.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the only player we've lost worth a damn was coooooooooooooooooooop.
12-5.
NFC EAST CHAMPS.
if its more than that...they gotta go do it.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Sorry, this is not the right time for this.

We came off a playoff loss and jettisoned 6 starters/major contributors, Cooper, Gregory, Collins, Williams, Wilson, LVE. We might lose 7 if Kearse walks. Whether they are great players or not doesnt matter. They were the best we had last year and we have done nothing to replace them. Literally nothing. The team is objectovely weaker today than it was before. If we lined up today, your starting

Unlike last year, we likely won't land a generational talent in this draft. We're picking bottom third each round, not the top half . And even if we did somehow land a phenom (in a draft that is severly lacking in top tier talent), what do we do with the other 6 positions that need starters? What do we do to upgrade starters that actually suck (C, DT, RB)? How do we look ahead to replacing departing players next year?

This team has no plan outside of pray for the best. What is there to feel optimistic about?

If I'm the GM and I lose get another first round playoff game, I'm getting rid of several starters. We're getting rid of people who don't need to be here, outside of Cedric wilson. I'm not sure what happened with the punter but there's probably more to the story.

Everybody needs to relax.

Gaede

Reaction score
If I'm the GM and I lose get another first round playoff game, I'm getting rid of several starters. We're getting rid of people who don't need to be here, outside of Cedric wilson. I'm not sure what happened with the punter but there's probably more to the story.

Everybody needs to relax.

Here's the thing. Those guys, good or bad, helped you get to that point. If you're going to dump them in an effort to improve the team, then you need to replace them with better players. You will never ever ever find good 5 starters in one draft. You need to sign players (who are better than the ones you dumped) and draft players (who are also better than the ones you dumped). If you refuse do to the former, you're counting entirely on the latter. Which is basically impossible.

You want to better than last year, you can't just trust the process to yield results. Especially when your process itself is flawed. That strategy is what failed this team for 10+ years under Garrett. You need to improve in some way. Not only have we chosen to not improve, but we've chosen to get worse.

People are fired up because we've seen this same loser playbook for over a decade. It hasn't worked. It won't work. And we're sick of being suckered into cheering for an organization that doesn't give two ***** if it wins games

J_Allen

Reaction score
Here's the thing. Those guys, good or bad, helped you get to that point. If you're going to dump them in an effort to improve the team, then you need to replace them with better players. You will never ever ever find good 5 starters in one draft. You need to sign players (who are better than the ones you dumped) and draft players (who are also better than the ones you dumped). If you refuse do to the former, you're counting entirely on the latter. Which is basically impossible.

You want to better than last year, you can't just trust the process to yield results. Especially when your process itself is flawed. That strategy is what failed this team for 10+ years under Garrett. You need to improve in some way. Not only have we chosen to not improve, but we've chosen to get worse.

People are fired up because we've seen this same loser playbook for over a decade. It hasn't worked. It won't work. And we're sick of being suckered into cheering for an organization that doesn't give two ***** if it wins games

This is like a car getting you to the hotel for a vacation then breaking down whenever you want to head to the beach or wherever. You have to start changing the components. Gregory, collins, and Cooper played like crap against San francisco. Their replacements are already on the roster. We will find a replacement for Cedric Wilson and the punter. Who else are we missing? Connor williams? Thank god. We can replace him with an undrafted free agent.

I'm not getting excited about this team anymore until we get to the first round of the playoffs because that's when they decide to pack things up. We win that game and I'll have guarded optimism about the next game. But things need to change and some of these losers who just want to collect a paycheck can go do that for other teams. I'm tired of it.

ESisback

Reaction score
I see phrases like “total and complete failure”, and I have to laugh. After a 12-5 season? A year after the franchise’s “worst ever” defense?

I totally get the whole 26 year Suber Bowl hiatus and the frustration it’s generated. I’ve been rendered jaded and cynical as well. But as dissatisfied as we all are, the facts say that Dallas is near or at the top for highest regular season winning percentage in the last 20 years. OF COURSE our playoff record is bad, OF COURSE I’m upset about it, OF COURSE it’s mostly due to the FO personnel miscues, but we gotta attempt some sort of healthy perspective. Return to the days of looking at this like a game, and not our personal livelihood.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is like a car getting you to the hotel for a vacation then breaking down whenever you want to head to the beach or wherever. You have to start changing the components. Gregory, collins, and Cooper played like crap against San francisco. Their replacements are already on the roster. We will find a replacement for Cedric Wilson and the punter. Who else are we missing? Connor williams? Thank god. We can replace him with an undrafted free agent.

I'm not getting excited about this team anymore until we get to the first round of the playoffs because that's when they decide to pack things up. We win that game and I'll have guarded optimism about the next game. But things need to change and some of these losers who just want to collect a paycheck can go do that for other teams. I'm tired of it.
Might want to consider getting a hotel on the beach with this franchise.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
OK, I get it. Bad way to lose a playoff game and it wasn't the first time the Cowboys got bounced so there is that "here we go again" attitude but why go to the negative side when we really don't know about several players that will be asked to step up?

This negative vibe so early in the year is not healthy. Don't give into the dark side so quickly and throw in the towel before the draft happens.

What don't we know?

Steele at RT full time unless they go after an OT.
Whomever at LG because that will not be McGovern because they already tried that.
Elliott healthy because he wasn't last season. Shades of Emmitt when they thought he was done and he played on a bad ankle all year. Bad wheels on a RB is not good.
Pollard's contribution because I think that is increasing.
Lamb as the #1WR. They thought he might struggle at OU when Brown left for the NFL and he was better than Brown. And the QB seems to like Lamb and Gallup, along with Schultz, as his favorite targets.
Gallup asking to be more, do more than he has been asked to do before. And he's saying all the right things. He is a very good WR, the only question is the timing of his 100% return.
The #3 WR is not on the team yet.
The effect of McC and Moore being put on the spot because the offense fizzled at the end.

Parsons soph year and how he is implemented in the defense because what we do know is that Quinn stayed. We do know this is a very special player and he's becoming a leader.
The DL is not complete, we do know this.
What the LB corps is going to look like.
The secondary is incomplete but it led the NFL in picks in 2021 and Diggs is still improving.
What players from the D heavy 2021 draft are ready to take the next step because we didn't get to see enough of them.

We do not know what the East is going to look like but I like the Cowboys chances with Jones, Wentz and Hurts as the other QB's. You might be disappointed by the lack of action in FA with the Cowboys but what have the others done to improve?

My point is why just default to the negative when we don't know?

What we do know.

This coaching staff and team went 12-6, swept the East by 20ppg and yes, they only went 6-5 outside the division but that was last year, not this year.

There are reasons to be positive and negative, the choice is yours but with so little known at this time, why not give yourself a break and at least hang in the middle until you do know more. At least give yourself until the draft.
Coach, the problem is, is that this front office has done little in the past to gain or earn any confidence or trust.
Then you throw the whole Gregory fiasco on top of it and you get a sour attitude from a lot of fans....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
OK, I get it. Bad way to lose a playoff game and it wasn't the first time the Cowboys got bounced so there is that "here we go again" attitude but why go to the negative side when we really don't know about several players that will be asked to step up?

This negative vibe so early in the year is not healthy. Don't give into the dark side so quickly and throw in the towel before the draft happens.

What don't we know?

Whomever at LG because that will not be McGovern because they already tried that.
Elliott healthy because he wasn't last season. Shades of Emmitt when they thought he was done and he played on a bad ankle all year. Bad wheels on a RB is not good.
Lamb as the #1WR. They thought he might struggle at OU when Brown left for the NFL and he was better than Brown. And the QB seems to like Lamb and Gallup, along with Schultz, as his favorite targets.
Gallup asking to be more, do more than he has been asked to do before. And he's saying all the right things. He is a very good WR, the only question is the timing of his 100% return.
The effect of McC and Moore being put on the spot because the offense fizzled at the end.

Parsons soph year and how he is implemented in the defense because what we do know is that Quinn stayed. We do know this is a very special player and he's becoming a leader.
The secondary is incomplete but it led the NFL in picks in 2021 and Diggs is still improving.
What players from the D heavy 2021 draft are ready to take the next step because we didn't get to see enough of them.

We do not know what the East is going to look like but I like the Cowboys chances with Jones, Wentz and Hurts as the other QB's. You might be disappointed by the lack of action in FA with the Cowboys but what have the others done to improve?

What we do know.

This coaching staff and team went 12-6, swept the East by 20ppg and yes, they only went 6-5 outside the division but that was last year, not this year.

There are reasons to be positive and negative, the choice is yours but with so little known at this time, why not give yourself a break and at least hang in the middle until you do know more. At least give yourself until the draft.
I will say this... unless you are new here, to this team, you knew good and well the team would get worse and lose players before it added FA and then drafted.
Cooper trade and Collins releases are fair to question and the "clause" drama silliness personified by all parties.
But the overhaul path has been known quite some time.
This team was going to wait out a week or so of FA and go bargain shopping.

So yes its darkest just before dawn.

jnday

Reaction score

What don't we know?

What we do know.

This has been the worst off-season that I can remember and there is no reason to expect anything other than a steep decline. There is a lot of reasons to support my opinion. It seems like you have missed the last month of Cowboys news and you are just joining the conversation.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys need to spend now because saving extra cap space rarely works out
Historically, extra cap space has not been a luxury, and teams that spend more win more. The Cowboys need to be more active in the market.
Amari Cooper, Blake Jarwin, Ito Smith, Greg Zuerlein, Reggie Robinson, and now La’el Collins. The list of players the Cowboys have cut (or traded) for extra cap room continue to grow. However, the list of players signed in the wake of these roster moves remains stagnant.

And as a result, the Dallas Cowboys are sitting favorably at $29.6 million under the cap, the seventh most room in the NFL. The shift from $21 million over the cap to $30 million over bring up the question, is it better to have more cap space if you aren’t going to use it? It might sound like an obvious question but there are countless teams that prepare for the future by freeing up cap space in the short term.

Does such a strategy have any merit?

Saving extra cap space rarely works out

While Stephen Jones was previously terrified of being over the cap, he should be equally terrified of being under it. Because good teams inevitably pay good players. And outside of a few exceptions, there is no benefit of being in a favorable cap situation going into the season.

There have been 106 teams since 2011 that entered the season $10 million or more over the cap. Of those teams, only 36% finished with a record over .500. The average win percentage of those 106 teams was 44%. Contrast this with teams that end the offseason with less than $10 million in cap space, where 49.5% end with a record above .500 and finish with an average win percentage of 52%.

While an 8% swing in win percentage isn’t drastic, the relationship between less money in cap space and more success is even stronger at the end of the spectrum. So, what if the Cowboys were to only burn $9 million, and walk into the season with $20 million in cap space?

Since 2011, there have been 48 teams to walk into the season with more than $20 million in cap, including the Cowboys twice. These teams average a 40%-win percentage and 67% finished at-or-below .500. The two seasons the Cowboys had more than $20 million in cap room led to an 8-8 year in 2011 and a 6-10 finish in 2020.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-space-rarely-works-dak-prescott-bobby-wagner