Hard not to get excited about Armstrong

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agreed. Some guys just have the physical ability to play DE at a high level. He might just be one of those guys.

I know his stat sheet at the end of the year might not blow you away just because rookie DE's typically don't but man if he contributes with say 4-5 sacks & lots of pressure & disruption he has hit it out of the park.

Cowboys will probably be rotating that RE spot a lot so nobody will get a ton of sacks.

If someone were to manage 8 or 9 that would be incredible.

David Irving really messed this thing up. If he were here our DL would be ready to blow doors down.

Flamma

Reaction score
Like I have said before, you never know who will step up and become an impact player, but this is someone I didn't even expect. Our Dlineman aren't shabby, sometimes stronger competition can bring out the best in players. That and money :). If he starts to look better than most of them, watch out. I'll keep my hopes tempered and watch him develop. But man would that be a welcome surprise if he turns out to be beastlike.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am particularly hard on Taco. But I have seen anything that would indicate to me that he progressing quickly or that he has some kind of raw talent. I see him as a project that will probably never be a pro bowl type. Never be a war daddy.

And the chances are you're probably right.

But if he could be the type of DE that gets a sack per 100 snaps and can control the edge on running plays... Yeah you may want more but it may be good enough. Sort of a Greg Ellis type of DE.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys will probably be rotating that RE spot a lot so nobody will get a ton of sacks.

David Irving really messed this thing up. If he were here our DL would be ready to blow doors down.

Yeah, I envision a "Seattle" type of pass-rush where you end up with 6 guys getting between 5 and 10 sacks on the season.

Flamma

Reaction score

If he was here, in shape, and ready to play. But that's probably what you meant. I just hope this guy can get his crap together by week 5 and we don't have to waste more weeks getting him back in shape.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can just sign Lawrence and get 4 years of (hopefully) quality pass rushers too

Exactly. They can afford to pay Lawrence big money to do his thing while they have all of these other options on the cheap. And four years from now? Armstrong can get his big payday if he proves he's deserving.

If things go to plan, they can reap the rewards of quality drafting for years to come.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
And the chances are you're probably right.

But if he could be the type of DE that gets a sack per 100 snaps and can control the edge on running plays... Yeah you may want more but it may be good enough. Sort of a Greg Ellis type of DE.

Picking in the back half of the 1st, you hope and pray that player develops into Greg Ellis.

Unfortunately I dont think Taco is capable of getting to that level.

kskboys

Reaction score
Every team needs a Greg Ellis.

Agree completely
If a team had two Greg Ellis's as DE's, they'd have a good pair.

Ellis has 84 lifetime sacks, same as Howie Long. And for the first part of his career, he was on sucky teams w/ no other threats around him.

VACowboy

Reaction score
And many in here derided the pick on draft day.

There were a few "Yeah, he's a quality pick."

Then there many "The Cowboys just blew another 4th round draft pick."

Guys like Armstrong make me wonder what scouts get paid for. I've only seen Kansas play a coupla times over the past few years and both times he was the guy jumping way the hell off the screen. Last year he played out of position in a two-gap scheme so his numbers dropped. He gained a bunch of weight for the combine and put up terrible numbers, so he slipped. But shouldn't scouts take circumstances into account when evaluating players? Seems like common sense to me. I honestly couldn't believe he was still on the board in the fourth and don't see how anybody who knew anything about the player could've hated that pick.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If a team had two Greg Ellis's as DE's, they'd have a good pair.

Ellis has 84 lifetime sacks, same as Howie Long. And for the first part of his career, he was on sucky teams w/ no other threats around him.

We've been seeing eye to eye a lot lately ksk. Anything you'd like to argue about?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am particularly hard on Taco. But I have seen anything that would indicate to me that he progressing quickly or that he has some kind of raw talent. I see him as a project that will probably never be a pro bowl type. Never be a war daddy.

Kudos for admitting that you're particularly hard on Taco.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I think it's great that Armstrong is flashing and he showed up in the Niner game pretty decently too but is there tape of him doing damage to Tyron, Zack, or Frederick? Just curious. Hope they rotate him in with the 1's next game to see if he can make any headway. I think a lot of people are already penning him in like he's a given when we don't know if he'll even get a lot of snaps to start the season unless someone gets nicked up. That's how it's done around here if you aren't a blue chip draft pick.

Beaker42

Reaction score
If Lawrence has another good year, you pay him. If Armstrong pans out, you have him on a cheap contract for several years to raise holy you-know what from the other side. With pressure coming from both sides, you probably won't need to pay big money to a safety like Earl Thomas.

One other thing. If they keep hitting on mid-round picks like Dak and perhaps this guy, its going to be awfully hard to hang on to McClay.
can we please use him instead of crawford in known pass situations example 3rd/ 4th and long.

Why? It’s awesome watching our opponent (see Green Bay) concert on 3rd and 20.

:angry: