Harris: Durde had a strong interview, is a legit contender for DC

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Excellent?

Nashon Wright, Kelvin Joseph, Mazi Smith (who dropped 30 lbs). Shall I continue?

This defense performed against bottom feeders and didnt know what to do when they got punched in the mouth. No adjustments. Unless you consider switching to a zone defense against a QB and team that struggled all year against a man defense as an adjustment.

But hey. I wouldnt expect you to understand. You think we are a LB and C away from a SB.
to me quinn was not all that against the better teams his defense wilted

DCwarrior

Reaction score
This is what happens to you when you think (wrongly) that you hold some sort of moral high ground. Constantly attacking and putting other posters down.
If you don’t worship every move DC makes them you’re at hater, negative and defeatist.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
If Durde can actually put some LB on the field and weight back on Mazi then things are looking up.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It seems like the players need a new voice.
I feel like there is a great english accent joke here that I am just not coming up with

I thought Durde would have been a contender last year if Quinn bolted. He has done a good job on the defensive line the three years he has been here. Particularly creating pressure. This year, its surprising just because they seemed intent in someone with HC experience. That could have media though

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Jerry wants to re-invent the wheel before the wheel was created. And in one season...:facepalm:

Nav22

Reaction score
Having the players choose is yet another issue.

Let me ask you. Do you think this team and its players can afford to hire someone that the players are comfortable with? Comfort is this teams biggest issue.
Durde may be a choice that the players are most comfortable with - but couldn't one also argue that he's the choice who knows this team's personnel the best?

No, it wouldn't be a brand new scheme - but do we need a brand new scheme?

We were 7th in the NFL in defensive efficiency this season (yes, the D collapsed vs GB). You think some old-timer like Rivera or Zimmer installing THEIR scheme is better than a young, hungry coach taking the baton from Quinn and adding his own wrinkles? I'm not so sure.

At the very least, I disagree with the notion that Durde as DC means it's a "throwaway year."

Remember: Mike Nolan, Rob Ryan and Monte Kiffin were Cowboys DCs recently. Sometimes an abundance of experience is a bad thing for a new assistant hire.

khiladi

Reaction score
And that’s why I mentioned the interest from Seattle and other teams. Obviously his abilities as a coach are being noticed by people with the knowledge to evaluate.

As for Garrett he was hand a team that needed a complete offensive line rebuild. Once that got that issue sorted, they made the inexplicable decision to change the defensive scheme!

Desai took over a team that was old. Considering if anything it got worse after he was demoted I’d say it had to do more with the offenses inability to force the points that provided the luxury of being able to pin their ears they had the previous season!
No, Garrett brought in Houck, who was also forced to retire by Jerry after 2012, when Jerry starter stripping Garrett of power and giving Romo more control with the next contract. They lucked into Callahan the year prior, though the Cowboys were targeting Sparano to bring him back to baby-sit Garrett, but he got the Jets job and Callahan was on the market. And Callahan completely revamped the OL.

Garrett tried throwing Rob Ryan under when the Cowboys fired him and brought in Kiffen. Most papers in Texas tried to argue this was a Garrett move and tried to connect them through some past connections.

Garrett was the worse decision this franchise ever made.

exciter

Reaction score
No, Garrett brought in Houck, who was also forced to retire by Jerry after 2012, when Jerry starter stripping Garrett of power and giving Romo more control with the next contract. They lucked into Callahan the year prior, though the Cowboys were targeting Sparano to bring him back to baby-sit Garrett, but he got the Jets job and Callahan was on the market. And Callahan completely revamped the OL.

Garrett tried throwing Rob Ryan under when the Cowboys fired him and brought in Kiffen. Most papers in Texas tried to argue this was a Garrett move and tried to connect them through some past connections.

Garrett was the worse decision this franchise ever made.
Houck was the offensive line coach here from 93-01.
He was rehired by Jerry in 2008 after Parcels hired Tony Sparano as the Dolphins head coach.
He was rehired again by Jerry in 2018 and 19 as an offensive consultant!

khiladi

Reaction score
Houck was the offensive line coach here from 93-01.
He was rehired by Jerry in 2008 after Parcels hired Tony Sparano as the Dolphins head coach.
He was rehired again by Jerry in 2018 and 19 as an offensive consultant!
Exactly and he coached with Garrett in Miami, meaning when Sporano left Houck was out.. Garrett wanted Houck while Wade wanted Solari. Garrett played and coached under man blocking schemes. His familiarity was with Houck.

exciter

Reaction score
Except Solari has primarily run a man scheme most of his career? And again, Jerry rehired Houck. Irrelevant as the line need a complete rebuild which began in 2011 with Tyron!