Harsh reality of our fanbase

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't care how many years ago they retired, I'll always be a Walt Garrison, Bob Lilly, and Merlin Olsen fan. One of them never wore a "star" so I guess the OP is wrong. It's not just about the star.

GMO415

Reaction score
I don't care how many years ago they retired, I'll always be a Walt Garrison, Bob Lilly, and Merlin Olsen fan. One of them never wore a "star" so I guess the OP is wrong. It's not just about the star.
If you retire as a Cowboy, then you're always a Cowboy.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If you retire as a Cowboy, then you're always a Cowboy.
Merlin Olsen never played for the Cowboys but I'll always be a fan of his. And Dez won't retire a Cowboy, does that mean I can no longer be a Dez fan without it hurting my Cowboys cred? No. What you are saying has nothing to do with my point.

kskboys

Reaction score
Strongly disagree. Fans that love "the star" are phony fans who love Jerry. Fans who love the players are true fans.

People really act like the Cowboys are some public good or even sillier, a higher concept that transcends football. The Dallas Cowboys are a business out to get your money. When you remove the players from the equation, what (or who) is left?
You're seriously trying to tell me that there are people who love Jerry?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Strongly disagree. Fans that love "the star" are phony fans who love Jerry. Fans who love the players are true fans.

People really act like the Cowboys are some public good or even sillier, a higher concept that transcends football. The Dallas Cowboys are a business out to get your money. When you remove the players from the equation, what (or who) is left?
In some ways I’d agree but being a local fan the franchise represents my community, area and state which creates a loyalty to the brand not necessarily any owners, coaches or players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of my favorite players are not always on my favorite team and don’t cheer on their team simply enjoying watching the greatest talents perform.

The Cowboys are not always the best game on each week.

I’m a fan of the game or sport first. I don’t need a horse in the race to enjoy. The Cowboys are just my local team who I’ll always root on much like my Alma Mater.

It can make you more critical much like a loved one who continually disappoints but you continue to support even if it means lowering expectations and detaching yourself emotionally with apathetic views. Winning just makes it more fun.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Some of my favorite players, Walter Payton for example, never were Cowboys. On the flip side, some Cowboys were never my favorite players. I hated Craig Morton when I was young. Super Bowl XII will always be one of my most memorable games because Morton got his clock cleaned. More recently, I found Dez annoyingly stupid. Now that he's no longer a Cowboy I have no reason to root for him.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Star hasn't played like the Star in over 20 years. Why wouldn't fans get attached to the few good players we've had? When Dorsett and Emmitt left the team I never paid attention to what they did until they went in the HOF. But lately I did root for Ware and I'll root for any other ex Cowboy I like as long as they don't play us.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We have nearly more "player fans" than cowboys fans. If you don't love the Star first then you can kick rocks along with Romo, Dez and anyone else those fans have their wierd emotional crush on.

You can always replace a player but you can never replace the :starspin:

Haha, not me though! The star is the priority with me. I like players like Witten, of course, but I understand that retirement and moving on comes calling on every player at some point. It's our FOs job to be ready for that moment.

Johnny23

Reaction score
the irony is that everyone has a certain player that hooked them or who inspired them to root more for the star...

I was upset when Russell Maryland went to the Raiders. That doesn't make me less of. aCowboys fan. I was a teenage kid.

hahaha.

bunch of grumps.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
the irony is that everyone has a certain player that hooked them or who inspired them to root more for the star...

I was upset when Russell Maryland went to the Raiders. That doesn't make me less of. aCowboys fan. I was a teenage kid.

hahaha.

bunch of grumps.

That is true. When I was a kid and got into footballl, Emmitt Smith was my role model, and he was the first reason I even started caring about the Cowboys.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have nearly more "player fans" than cowboys fans. If you don't love the Star first then you can kick rocks along with Romo, Dez and anyone else those fans have their wierd emotional crush on.

You can always replace a player but you can never replace the :starspin:
How did you come to this conclusion? Have (scientific?) polls been conducted and these are the results? Or is this conclusion an opinion based upon personal observation?

There are fans who enjoy certain players above the team. Some fans appreciate the team more than any individual player or players. I am curious of the determinant that measured both.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
How did you come to this conclusion? Have (scientific?) polls been conducted and these are the results? Or is this conclusion an opinion based upon personal observation?

There are fans who enjoy certain players above the team. Some fans appreciate the team more than any individual player or players. I am curious of the determinant that measured both.

I don't need numbers book worm!

It's common sense with the reactions around you along with the reactions online/social. I've seen less positives. Say what you want but it is what it is. And it bothered me to the point I made this thread.

If it didn't happen then this thread doesn't exist, neither does your reply.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't need numbers book worm!

It's common sense with the reactions around you along with the reactions online/social. I've seen less positives. Say what you want but it is what it is. And it bothered me to the point I made this thread.

If it didn't happen then this thread doesn't exist, neither does your reply.
:facepalm:

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

You do realize we are going into a newer generation of cowboys fandom don't you? That multiplies while yesteryear dies off. I mean get a clue, nobody has to throw on a white coat and hop into the lab for you!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do realize we are going into a newer generation of cowboys fandom don't you? That multiplies while yesteryear dies off. I mean get a clue, nobody has to throw on a white coat and hop into the lab for you!
wow :facepalm:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of seeing a lot of HOF'ers and other great players in this franchise since 1965, players will come and go but my devotion is to the franchise itself. I have lived and died with the Cowboys and that has not changed.