Has anyone already scheduled days off and gave family warnings about the Draft?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I made my wife go to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the RD1 of the draft with me 6 years ago when we first started dating, and it's been a tradition ever since.

Then we usually manage to squeeze in the rest of the draft throughout the weekend; watching at home, listening to it on the radio as we drive around DFW, etc.

Last year we were at a quiet bar planning seating arrangements for our wedding when I got overly excited after we took some kid from Mississippi State in the 4th round.

The nice thing is, she wasn't embarrassed at all. She just wanted to know more and why I was so excited.

So I guess you could say, I'm fortunate enough that this is a good weekend for both of us.
Lucky man and props for calling the Dak pick.

JeffG

Reaction score
My wife has known since we first started dating that the first few rounds of the draft is sacrosanct. Thursday night she will be out of town, and Friday night she will watch with me. Saturday, we will be driving up to see her nephew in grade school play a football championship game, but I will have Norm and the Ticket in my ear the entire time. Thank God for iPhone radio apps!!!

Oh, and for last year's Dak pick in the fourth round, my wife and I will always have that moment at which they announced the pick on the Ticket, and she said, "Who is Dak Prescot?" And I said, "A quarterback from a small college. Never saw him play. I just hope he's still on the team a year from now ..." Heh heh heh!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since this is not a mock draft or talking about players in the draft...

I have already scheduled Thursday and Friday off from work and wrote on the home Calendar that it is NFL Draft weekend to give the wife a warning that it will be a honey do list free weekend. lol

Although I will not be shocked if we are all sitting on the first night only to see us trade the pick away and have to wait another day for our first pick.
Funny. My wife can recall and recite the smallest details, from as recent as an hour ago or as far back as 30-plus years ago. However, there are certain things she cannot remember at all--or see for that matter.

We have a home calendar too. Had one for years. I jot down 'NFL Draft'. I mention it at least once a week for a couple of months before the draft. What's my reward for letting her know ahead of time about the draft? Answer: She asks me "Is that today?" each day of the draft every year.

My wife records CBS shows, so I try the same thing before the NCAA Basketball tournament each March--although not always using the calendar. Like clockwork, she pulls up the DVR playlist, scans it, and says, "Where's my shows?" My response? Two words. "March madness."

She cusses every time.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Funny. My wife can recall and recite the smallest details, from as recent as an hour ago or as far back as 30-plus years ago. However, there are certain things she cannot remember at all--or see for that matter.

We have a home calendar too. Had one for years. I jot down 'NFL Draft'. I mention it at least once a week for a couple of months before the draft. What's my reward for letting her know ahead of time about the draft? Answer: She asks me "Is that today?" each day of the draft every year.

My wife records CBS shows, so I try the same thing before the NCAA Basketball tournament each March--although not always using the calendar. Like clockwork, she pulls up the DVR playlist, scans it, and says, "Where's my shows?" My response? Two words. "March madness."

She cusses every time.
:laugh:Dish Network has a box where you can record 16 shows at once. That helps for a happy marriage.

plasticman

Reaction score
At work, I get two additional paid "floating" holidays called "diversity days" which I can use at my discretion. For example, I could celebrate Hannukah or Ramadan, etc....

Each year I use them for the NFL draft.

Verdict

Reaction score
I have advised my girlfriend that the NFL draft is like Christmas to me and that I will be focused on the draft. She is a great partner because she gets it and wont **** with me about it. She has become a Cowboys fan as well so that helps a lot.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
I watch the dual channel DVR switching between NFL network and ESPN with the ticket on the radio with the earphone around my neck.In the homeoffice the draft is online...I miss nothing.But...........I fully expect us to trade out of 28 though so don't be disappointed.

A host of DEs and DBs may drop to 28 and if so watch for someone paying to move up top get a 5th yr.QB contract @ 28 if D.Watson or Trubitsky falls.
This would be a Cleveland or SF play maybe even a NO,NYJ move.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I made my wife go to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the RD1 of the draft with me 6 years ago when we first started dating, and it's been a tradition ever since.

Then we usually manage to squeeze in the rest of the draft throughout the weekend; watching at home, listening to it on the radio as we drive around DFW, etc.

Last year we were at a quiet bar planning seating arrangements for our wedding when I got overly excited after we took some kid from Mississippi State in the 4th round.

The nice thing is, she wasn't embarrassed at all. She just wanted to know more and why I was so excited.

So I guess you could say, I'm fortunate enough that this is a good weekend for both of us.

Did she say she hoped you get half as excited over the wedding and on your honeymoon as you did over that 4th round draft pick......:laugh:

EST_1986

Reaction score
My freaking daughter has a softball game Thursday right in the middle of the draft. If I wasn't coaching I'd be faking an illness that day

Tristan

Reaction score
Yes! Il be watering my plants on wed. Im good til sat. Beeeeeeeerrrrrrrbbbbbqqqqqqquuuueeee!!

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
Nope. I only watch rounds 1 & 2.

For rounds 3-7 I check online to see who's been taken.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I usually just watch round one. Then look up all the dallas picks later.

Pants

Reaction score
1) I took the days off from work the day after the superbowl
2) The mrs is WELL aware of my proclivity for draft watchedness
3) Finished my spreadsheet with 312 players/rankings about a week ago

Pants = ready