Has anyone been keeping up with the Zimmerman trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees this is a tragedy. If both parties had done differently then Martin would probably be alive is also some common ground IMO. I also think both subjects acted thru the prism of their own world. My heart goes out to the parents, family and friends of Martin. And don't forget Zimmerman's life has been forever tainted. It's just all damned unfortunate

jnday

Reaction score
People die every day.. we can't get up in arms every single time someone is murdered. No one would have time for anything else. There are certain cases that we look at because they are clear to most of us what is right and wrong.. and we want justice. A 28 year old with a gun, ignoring a police dispatcher and instigating a conflict with a 17 year old kid because he "looked suspicious" because he was walking casually in the rain on the lawn instead of the sidewalk, and even though he has 30 pounds on the kid, says all he could do was shoot the kid.

Zimmerman will get his.. of course, he'll also be a millionaire now in this land of America where it pays greatly to be a garbage human being. How's Casey Anthony coming along with her next big book deal?

Her lawyer said that she is broke and in hiding. Great life huh?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The courts have spoken and that's that. I don't suspect that the verdict will change anyone's mind about what happened. Now let's see if this epic "Race War" that has been predicted by so many actually manifests.
It won't. You got a lot of idiots out there. But you also got a lot of rational-minded folks who know better. We're not in an era of activism. We're in an era of I'm mad, but I'm not gonna mess up my life and bring the laws down on me to do something about it.

So in the meantime, we're going to get avatars on FB/twitter, and a bunch of rants, and then folks will move on with their life.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It won't. You got a lot of idiots out there. But you also got a lot of rational-minded folks who know better. We're not in an era of activism. We're in an era of I'm mad, but I'm not gonna mess up my life and bring the laws down on me to do something about it.

So in the meantime, we're going to get avatars on FB/twitter, and a bunch of rants, and then folks will move on with their life.

There are many lessons to learn from this.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are many lessons to learn from this.

Yep.

1) Keep going home regardless of if someone is following you. Keep someone on the phone with you at all times, who will call the police just in case something happens. And only do a re-route when you get close so that person doesn't know exactly where you live.

2) Observe the police dispatcher advice and go home.

I'm sure there are many, but those are my personal go to moves if I'm going home and someone is making every turn I'm making as I'm headed home. And when I've observed drunk drivers on the highway and called the police about them, when they tell me they don't need me to follow the vehicle. I get off the freeway and take a detour home. If something happens with that drunk driver, I did my part and do not want to get caught up in the wash.

I can't speak for anything else that would've made this incident more preventable.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Should have never gone to court, as it is way too easy to create more than one version of what happened (ie. insufficient actual evidence.)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yep.

1) Keep going home regardless of if someone is following you. Keep someone on the phone with you at all times, who will call the police just in case something happens. And only do a re-route when you get close so that person doesn't know exactly where you live.

2) Observe the police dispatcher advice and go home.

I'm sure there are many, but those are my personal go to moves if I'm going home and someone is making every turn I'm making as I'm headed home. And when I've observed drunk drivers on the highway and called the police about them, when they tell me they don't need me to follow the vehicle. I get off the freeway and take a detour home. If something happens with that drunk driver, I did my part and do not want to get caught up in the wash.

I can't speak for anything else that would've made this incident more preventable.

Great practical advice for anyone and esp a woman. I've never detoured from a drunk driver but I'm going to consider that from now on. I will drop back or leave them behind. Occasionally I've pulled off the road. I can't really say more.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times when I was a teenager that some non-police adult confronted me and asked me what I was doing in a given place at a given time - it was annoying at the time, but when you say "Hey man, I'm just walking home" or "Dude, just going to the store," it ends and everyone goes on their merry way. Profiling happens - if I see some guy in a hoodie standing in a front lawn in my gated community and looking into a house in the rain, I'm probably going to profile that person as up to no good, too, whether I can see what color they are or not.

Nothing that happened matters up until the point that physical contact took place. It was probably dumb of GZ to do what he did, but being dumb is not illegal. Getting out of your truck, following and confronting someone, ignoring police advice (police have no authority to give citizens orders), none of that is illegal. Assault is illegal.

It's possible that GZ tried to detain Martin until police got there, and that's where the issue gets murky - but the prosecution had no evidence that that's what happened, so you can't make a conviction based on that.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
You keep using a rational mind or irrational mind like that is some sort of legal argument.

I don't need it to be a legal argument and don't care if it is or isn't.

Zimmerman was not chasing Martin. The dispatcher said "we don't need you to do that" when they thought Zimmerman was chasing Martin. Zimmerman responded "OK".

What you say is entirely true. My only contention is that this dialog happened immediately following the part where the dispatcher asked, "are you following him?" Zimmerman replies, "yeah". They didn't think he was chasing him, they asked him and he told them he was.

Zimmerman said he no longer saw Martin and the dispatcher asked if he still wanted the police to come. He said yes and realized he didn't know the exact address where he was and didn't want to give his home address, so he said he would find a nearby address. Not crazy or irrational. It was sometime in the next 4 minutes that the fight started.

That's what happened on the phone call but his reenactment video tells another story. His entire point of getting out of the car was to find a street sign so he could tell them where he was at that moment, not where he lived. This is in his written statement and he makes it very clear he was getting out to get a street sign because he says it twice. Once he didn't find a street sign he decided to go across the street for an address, an address he was ultimately never able to provide.

Him not wanting to tell the dispatcher his address doesn't mean anything because he claims he was going to get the address of where he currently was. Supposedly he was going to have the cops meet him at this address (I guess, I don't know what else he would do with it) but for some reason he never gave an address, even when asked a direct question about the house he was in front of. To top it off, he then asks to have the police call him so he can tell them where he was.

Essentially, he supposedly wasn't following him but was looking for an address. After getting out of his truck and looking for this address he then describes the location of his truck to the dispatcher cause that's where they were going to meet, apparently making the entire address hunt useless. When asked for a specific address after that he can't give one and then he changes things up again by asking to be called so he can tell them where he would be.

If you haven't watched his reenactment video, I would encourage you to do so and pair it up with what happens on the phone call.

All evidence points to Martin striking Zimmerman first and severely and the one sided beating continued for almost a minute. Zimmerman begged a neighbor help repeatedly. When the neighbor ran upstairs to call the police instead of physically helping, Zimmerman finally pulled his gun and shot one, deadly shot. He didn't empty his clip or run away. He asked another neighbor to call 911 and waited for the Police to arrive. He was treated on sight for his injuries and willingly surrendered. He was interrogated for 3 hours without requesting a lawyer and they found his story credible.

The only "evidence" of how the confrontation went down is from Zimmerman. His story doesn't exactly pair up with the phone call so excuse me for being a little skeptical that he was just walking back to his truck after apparently being unable to find an address that he set out to get minutes prior and that he wouldn't have ultimately needed once he asked for the police to call him. The only thing the evidence points to is that Zimmerman was losing a fist fight.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The law provides equal protection to either no matter who was the aggressor. If someone provokes you that is mitigating but does not provide immunity from assault etc. You cannot strike people for calling you a name or following you etc. There is also reasonable force to defend. Once someone is in a position to not defend themselves then you must withdraw even if they are the aggressor.

It's difficult at times to withdraw your emotions and preconceptions as well as sense of morals from a situation particularly one ending in a tragic death of a human being. But emotional reasoning is not the answer. He was charged with a crime and the jurors stuck to the law and reached THEIR verdict based on the law. Our system is not perfect but it is the best or equal of any system on the earth.

To what extent does this apply?

If I go up and sucker punch someone and they start getting the upper hand I can shoot them and just claim self defense based on a subjective feeling of my life being in danger?

ologan

Reaction score
Hmmmm........Where does "situational awareness" end, and "profiling" begin??

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
It's not against the law to get out of your truck. You can't convict somebody of something that is not a crime and getting out of the truck was not illegal or a crime.

Of course its not against the law to get out of your vehicle. Im saying you're trying to play dumb and say both the fact that Trayvon left his house that night to go get a snack at a local convenience store and that GZ followed him when he was told not to are both the same situation. Its not.

One of them was told specifically by a police dispatcher not to do something, and he did it anyway.. its not extreme at all to expect him to do what he's told when he calls the police.

sbark

Reaction score
bottom line.........2 men but neither of them handled it like adults.........which then led to the sad end, unneeded ending.......

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KEEP THE POLITICAL DISCUSSION OUT AND PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PERSONAL ATTACKS. ONE WARNING - THEN THREAD WILL BE CLOSED - THANK YOU.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Not yet it wasn't.. but it will be. He'll lose civil suits over this, no doubt.

I don't think the evidence ever really supported convicting him in criminal court. I just didn't see "beyond a reasonable doubt" in the evidence.

However, in a civil court setting? Where it's just a 50+1 proposition? Yeah. Good luck with that.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
The scenarios of both men could happen anytime to anyone regardless, there is a schism in our society that can be mended where communication reigns at a higher level.

We are all guilty of lack of honest communication with ourselves and each other, the good news is that people are learning to find reasonable peace within the distance. This gap is supposed to be here we are all different life is like a puzzle we are all cut a little differently and have a place to fit perfectly.

Learn how to interact with the next reality and also how to respect life enough to choose not to interact with certain realities people will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.