Has Dak been hiding how bad our offensive is?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
No. He's actually displayed exactly how good or bad or Offense is. People, you need to stop acting like Dak is the difference maker in our Offense. It's just not true. The strength of our team is the OL. It has been for years. When the OL is strong, the Offense is good. When it's not, the Offense is bad. It's as straight forward as that.
Bingo. Close thread.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We shall see...

the only quarterbacks that could do better than Dak in Dallas are Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, and Deshaun.

What proof do you have of this statement? What do you consider "better"?

For the record, I consider better as more wins. If that is the criteria and I'm telling you that it is, then Dalton did better last year based on total wins and winning percentage. No other criteria should be important. So how do you come to the conclusion that no other QB can do better in Dallas? Dak is not the 5th best QB in the NFL, if that is what you may be trying to elude to.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
In 2019 we ranked #1 in yards per game and #4 in points per game with a bruised Amari Cooper, still raw Micheal Gallup, and Randall Cobb who only started 6 games.

and before anyone says it was because we were down all the time we ranked #3 in points scored in the 1st quarter and #4 in points scored in the 2nd quarter.

Come 2020 for the first 4 games Dak started we ranked #2 in points per game and again #1 in yards per game.

Unfortunately, He gets hurt and we see Kellen Moore coach us to a slightly below average ranking of #16 in both points and yards.

Are we wasting our franchise quarterback’s prime and top 10 wideout with doo doo play callers?

Moan.......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've seen Dak make some ridiculously good throws running for his life...

The oline can only have so much of an impact which is why teams like the Chiefs don't have nearly as much draft resources tied up in that one position group like we do.

He has made some good throws but he's mad some pretty bad ones too. He's on the shelf last year because protection broke down. Dak will be 28 by the start of next season. Fans, I think, see Dak as a young player still and don't get me wrong, he's not old yet but he's not a young QB anymore. In a couple of seasons, Dak will no longer be a QB who can run around and take shots. He will be at the stage of his career where he can't do that anymore and the team can't design offense for him to be that QB. Dak was always going to be an 8 to 10 year QB IMO because so much of his game relied on his ability to break the pocket but that window is closing. He won't be that guy much longer and don't be surprised if the team seriously limits his game, in terms of breaking the pocket and trying to run downfield etc. I doubt we see the same Dak, coming back. So I believe that the OL will be even more important to the franchise then before.

JMO

ondaedg

Reaction score
He has made some good throws but he's mad some pretty bad ones too. He's on the shelf last year because protection broke down. Dak will be 28 by the start of next season. Fans, I think, see Dak as a young player still and don't get me wrong, he's not old yet but he's not a young QB anymore. In a couple of seasons, Dak will no longer be a QB who can run around and take shots. He will be at the stage of his career where he can't do that anymore and the team can't design offense for him to be that QB. Dak was always going to be an 8 to 10 year QB IMO because so much of his game relied on his ability to break the pocket but that window is closing. He won't be that guy much longer and don't be surprised if the team seriously limits his game, in terms of breaking the pocket and trying to run downfield etc. I doubt we see the same Dak, coming back. So I believe that the OL will be even more important to the franchise then before.

JMO

Alot of speculation here that Dak is going to be limited, he’s not going to be as mobile when he hits thirty etc etc. From everything we’ve seen he takes care of his body so much that we should expect a guy who will have the same longevity as his peers such as Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Tannehill. Brady played behind solid olines that didn’t have but a fraction of the draft capital that we have invested and it worked well enough that they won a ton of Super Bowls.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alot of speculation here that Dak is going to be limited, he’s not going to be as mobile when he hits thirty etc etc. From everything we’ve seen he takes care of his body so much that we should expect a guy who will have the same longevity as his peers such as Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Tannehill. Brady played behind solid olines that didn’t have but a fraction of the draft capital that we have invested and it worked well enough that they won a ton of Super Bowls.

It is speculation but it's speculation based on well over 40 years of playing, coaching and watching football. So, I think you are looking at this wrong. This is not a statement on Dak's capabilities. It's a statement on what he will be allowed to do by the team. Consider, age loses no battles. While Dak may take care of his body etc., his body will still not bounce back from hits like it once did. That's just a fact. The rest of this story will be about money. If this team invests in Dak, the amount invested will be significant. That alone will cause the team to limit exposure to injuries, as best they can. That means that the part of his game where he evades and extends is going away to a big extent IMO. We saw it happen with Romo and we will see the same thing with Dak.

I don't believe you can compare Brady to Dak. Brady is, and always has been, a throwing QB. He does it with his arm. Dak has never been that. He has always been reliant on his ability to move and evade. He will never be a guy who can sit back in the pocket and just throw dimes like Brady did. Each guy has plus and minus to their games, that's just how it is.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BS, Dak is a shaky dude who needs to find he game at the beginning of a game, not at the end of the 1st quarter. Everyone believes Dak has earned him self a large contract and say NO WAY JOSE! When he starts firing on all cylinders when the offense hits the field then that's when I say " Pay the Dude". Dak is shakier than a short hair dog out in 10 degree weather and it's creating major issues for this offense. They haven't score a touchdown on their opening drives in probably 2 YEARS which is fricking ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thus the reasons for the poor seasons and a good reason why Dak hasn't beaten a team with an AVERAGE record the last couple of seasons.
Dak had zero issues getting going in 2020.

You goofballs talk loud and don't say spit.
You utter zero facts and offer no actual evidence of anything but your own incompetence.

Dak's 1st quarter QB Rating was a 98.3 for 2020.

QBs are judged by how they play overall and especially in the 4th quarter.

I've heard every stupid illogical argument imaginable now against Dak and they are all fall in the same shallow grave.

He is an elite level young QB with demonstrated growth in footwork and deep passing acumen over the last 2 years. He's a winning piece that all but about 5 teams would love to have over the next 7-8 years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That argument is another that makes no sense.
Dak shakes off tacklers with his size and strength, he's not Lamar Jackson or Deshaun Watson just outrunning people.
He is a power runner when he does run but largely uses his size to keep plays alive and go deep.

He needs to heal sufficiently to use the footwork and plants he did on this throws but his overall athleticism isn't an issue.

Swagger

Reaction score
No..

We have had quality skill players around Dak for a couple of seasons now.

When we were bare in 2018 he was horrendous. Then Amari came on the scene and made the entire offense better.

The only reason Dak was performing so well early this season and we were still losing is because we were down a ton against defenses that sucked defending the pass and he had a massive amount of attempts.

Notice the Rams game how is numbers weren't stupid inflated. The situation and defense he was playing didn't allow for stupid inflated numbers that stat head geek only comprehends by reading a box score.

If you believe we had some super crazy offense because of stats then you are a football idiot.
Plus he still had Smith and Martin

Swagger

Reaction score

You utter zero facts and offer no actual evidence of anything but your own incompetence.

I've heard every stupid illogical argument imaginable now against Dak and they are all fall in the same shallow grave.

He is an elite level young QB with demonstrated growth in footwork and deep passing acumen over the last 2 years. He's a winning piece that all but about 5 teams would love to have over the next 7-8 years.
:lmao:

Swagger

Reaction score
How good did rodgers look with bucs in his face? How good did josh allen look with chiefs in his face. Or jackson with bills in his face? Importance of o-line cannot be overstated.
People spout so much nonsense, none more so than Skip Bayless. You are spot on. Add in Tom Brady vs the Packers. He looked good when he had all day to throw but threw 3 interceptions (should have been 4 dolly drop end of first half) when put under pressure.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
People spout so much nonsense, none more so than Skip Bayless. You are spot on. Add in Tom Brady vs the Packers. He looked good when he had all day to throw but threw 3 interceptions (should have been 4 dolly drop end of first half) when put under pressure.

Every QB, since the day the forward pass was created, this is true for. Give a QB time and they will make you look good. Give a QB a seat on his butt and he will make you look like a fool, if you are a head coach.

Every bit of that is true, IMO, Swagger.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Okay, just so you're aware, QB contracts are going through the roof regardless of what you do. Ironically, by drafting another QB, you're not saving money later. It's only maybe a short term fix. QB contracts are going up by a lot, and it's not going to come down anytime soon. With Mahomes getting basically $45 mil, good luck getting most QBs to come much below it. Just this offseason alone, there is a large array of QBs likely either needing a new deal or getting moved one way or another. Oh, and then there are QBs that'll want more with their team. It's the nature of the business. Lamar Jackson is likely to get a new deal this offseason. I expect it to be somewhere around what Mahomes got with how highly the Ravens value him. Josh Allen isn't far behind along with Baker Mayfield (I'm starting to sound like Yakko Warner lol, and now the QBs of the League, brought to you by Furboy). Then there's Deshaun Watson who seems to want out ASAP, so he'll likely be looking for a new deal wherever he ends up. Oh, and if he's with the Jets, they've got a boatload of cap space, so don't be surprised if they extend him. So we're looking at a lot for him if that happens. Matt Stafford is leaving Detroit, so he'll probably want one last payday before he retires. Cam Newton is likely out of NE, so he's going to be looking for a good payday as will Trubisky if he's out in Chicago. With the likely high volume of movement, watch the deals go through the roof. According to https://www.nfl.com/news/debrief-previewing-movers-and-shakers-in-2021-qb-market, Kirk Cousins has 1 year left on his deal, and moving him would result in the Vikings saving $11 mil. So, whoever takes him, if the Vikings sell him, would need to make him an offer. He'd probably want one more payday as well. Jacoby Brisset is likely out of Indy, so watch for him to get a big deal too. And wait until you see the QBs available next offseason or who's guaranteed money runs out. I fully expect someone in this offseason or next offseason to get a deal for $50 mil a year.

Therefore, smarter thing to do IS pay Dak and pay him soon. He's an excellent QB, and you're not likely to find a better one in this draft with where we are picking. Plus, we need defence and Surtain should be our top priority at 10 to pair with Diggs since he will likely be the best defencive player available when we're picking, essentially making the corners difficult to pass on. Your outside WRs are essentially locked down with those two at CB on each side making the middle of the field easier to defend. Furthermore, you don't just call 1-800-Franchis-eQB to get a franchise QB. When you have a franchise QB like we do, you take care of them, unless you're the Texans or Jets and end up finding yourself where you are now. But, let's say we take your suggestion in a slightly different way. Let's say we draft a QB midrounds after taking Surtain. Typically, a QB taken in the mid rounds like Dak was has a 4 year deal. If the QB is remotely good, he'll probably be advised by his agent to take nothing less than $40-50 mil and up depending on how high the QB market goes. Essentially saving NOTHING compared to what you could've had if you paid Dak who's likely better than that QB. What do you do then? Or, let's say the QB ends up being the next Tom Brady. By the time the contract discussion comes in 3 years before his final deal, I suspect you'd be looking at $65-70 mil per year. What do you do then?
IDK,, seems that a few teams are having a bit of buyers remorse these days.
Wentz
Goff
Is it actually conceivable that just maybe, somehow, Jerry doesnt want to be a part of that over pay club?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
IDK,, seems that a few teams are having a bit of buyers remorse these days.
Wentz
Goff
Is it actually conceivable that just maybe, somehow, Jerry doesnt want to be a part of that over pay club?

It's possible. However, if he's in that mindset, I hope he has a good QB in mind cuz his track record of taking QBs in the draft is not great. He lucked into Dak. His desired QBs that year were Cook and Lynch. I do not want to end up like we were in 2000-2006.

Swagger

Reaction score
typical goofball behavior. respond to facts with emojis.
real man stuff... i'm sure your parents are proud.
The last part of your sentence was unnecessary as there's no need to get personal.

But I concede that my response was cheap. What made me laugh was how much you and other posters defend Dak Prescott as if he's your brother. I'm genuinely staggered that we have been watching the same QB. I have Dak as a good competent QB along the lines of a Carr or Cousins whereas others have him alongside Rodgers and Wilson.

I'm not claiming to be right or wrong but so many people argue over how good Dak Prescott actually is...do people do the same over Mahomes, Rodgers and Wilson...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The last part of your sentence was unnecessary as there's no need to get personal.

But I concede that my response was cheap. What made me laugh was how much you and other posters defend Dak Prescott as if he's your brother. I'm genuinely staggered that we have been watching the same QB. I have Dak as a good competent QB along the lines of a Carr or Cousins whereas others have him alongside Rodgers and Wilson.

I'm not claiming to be right or wrong but so many people argue over how good Dak Prescott actually is...do people do the same over Mahomes, Rodgers and Wilson...
People argued like this over Russ yes.
They did so over Rodgers when he took over from Favre from that was fairly brief.

I, personally, argued like this FOR Mahomes when he was coming out.

Dak is not Rodgers or Brady but when discussing him, I watched isn't a good argument.
So many of these arguments are completely untrue and there is easily obtainable evidence via google search to disprove it before it's typed out.

Dak was a bus driver in 2016.
In 2017 as things fell apart with his weapons he was exposed.
He mightily improved over that off-season

Part of what you pay for in keeping Dak is a guy who improves with additional coaching and has made use of the weapons you put around him.
He'll never throw the ball as effortlessly as Pat and he'll never be the prototype that Aaron Rodgers is.
He'll never be the unlikable troglodyte that Tom Brady can be about winning.
But he is without doubt by EVERY metric known to man a top 10 QB with an easily definable top 8 future.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Part of what you pay for in keeping Dak is a guy who improves with additional coaching and has made use of the weapons you put around him.
He'll never throw the ball as effortlessly as Pat and he'll never be the prototype that Aaron Rodgers is.
He'll never be the unlikable troglodyte that Tom Brady can be about winning.
But he is without doubt by EVERY metric known to man a top 10 QB with an easily definable top 8 future.

So do you think we could re-create what Dak does for much cheaper?

Because I can't ignore how he inflates his numbers on weak teams like some of you can and sit there and tell people he is a top 10 QB. I think we can beat a lot of bad teams with not very good QB's on our roster like Dak does.

I think we can win 1 wildcard game over a 5 year period with other QB's and so what if we don't because what's 1 wildcard win anyways...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
In 2019 we ranked #1 in yards per game and #4 in points per game with a bruised Amari Cooper, still raw Micheal Gallup, and Randall Cobb who only started 6 games.

and before anyone says it was because we were down all the time we ranked #3 in points scored in the 1st quarter and #4 in points scored in the 2nd quarter.

Come 2020 for the first 4 games Dak started we ranked #2 in points per game and again #1 in yards per game.

Unfortunately, He gets hurt and we see Kellen Moore coach us to a slightly below average ranking of #16 in both points and yards.

Are we wasting our franchise quarterback’s prime and top 10 wideout with doo doo play callers?
No....the playcalling, Zeke, etc. may not be perfect, but the offense is NOT the problem. The defense IS the problem and has been for years.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

You think the guy is a great QB because he can do the CHA CHA before games????? Dak is AVERAGE at best, get your head out of your????????