Has Romo been exposed

CowboyChris

Reaction score
The Saints exposed a major weakness in Romo, and this might be bad news for us the rest of the way, the Saints constantly forced Romo to stay in the pocket, they wouldnt let him get outside, where he is the most dangerous.

NBC also pointed out that Romo led the league in passer rating when outside the pocket, and that Brees leads the lead while in the shotgun.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Actually, Strahan said that last week. He said he was telling the guys on the D line to keep Romo in the pocket because they felt he wasn't effective in the pocket.

Of course, he'd have a chance to be effective in the pocket if the middle of the O line didn't continually collapse.

IMO, this game is on the coaches and both the D Line and the O Line.

BlueDemon

Benched
Reaction score
I stated this as my biggest fear 4 weeks ago. What happens when a defense says let the 6 '0' Romo stand in there and look over the line and make plays.
Guess that got answered tonite.

SmashFactorGolf

Reaction score
I remember the Theismann Skins of that Era, would move the pocket left or right with set plays aljot........

gotta presume with that much space, we could do something of the same

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
BlueDemon;1224439 said:
I stated this as my biggest fear 4 weeks ago. What happens when a defense says let the 6 '0' Romo stand in there and look over the line and make plays.

Romo's height doesn't matter. Just ask Drew Brees.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
We can always roll Romo out of the pocket, too.

The biggest thing that was exposed was our defense's inability to cover anybody out of the backfield or tight ends.

jrumann59

Reaction score
BlueDemon;1224439 said:

Well the 6'0" Brees did pretty good looking over his line. Romo is listed as 6'1"-6'2" and since they exaggerate those numbers a bit Romo is a lot closer to 6'0" than brees is.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
I think the OP is dead-on, honestly.

Romo looked very pedestrian inside the pocket.

I was also shocked though, that he didn't scramble up the middle. He had room up the middle several times with no one to throw to and he either threw it away or took a hit.

dfense

Reaction score
CowboyChris;1224409 said:
The Saints exposed a major weakness in Romo, and this might be bad news for us the rest of the way, the Saints constantly forced Romo to stay in the pocket, they wouldnt let him get outside, where he is the most dangerous.

NBC also pointed out that Romo led the league in passer rating when outside the pocket, and that Brees leads the lead while in the shotgun.
I didn't see Romo out their on defense. Did I miss something?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
BlueDemon;1224439 said:

Well Brees is no taller than Romo.........and he does pretty well. Our problem is that our OL allows pressure up the middle.

On the other hand, our DL did not have any push after the first 2 drives.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1224509 said:
Well Brees is no taller than Romo.........and he does pretty well. Our problem is that our OL allows pressure up the middle.

On the other hand, our DL did not have any push after the first 2 drives.

Yep. A huge part of the responsibility for this game falls on both lines.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
jrumann59;1224481 said:
Well the 6'0" Brees did pretty good looking over his line. Romo is listed as 6'1"-6'2" and since they exaggerate those numbers a bit Romo is a lot closer to 6'0" than brees is.

LOL. They don't exaggerate height in football. This isn't modeling or Hollywood. Brees is 6'0" and Romo is 6'2". So there goes that theory concerning height and seeing over the line, a stat that is overrated because QBs mostly throw through lanes.

Gaede

Reaction score
Romo had a bad game, but I think it was a combination of factors--and not some achilles heel that's been exposed

most obvious to me is that the Oline got consistently pushed back and the receivers had trouble getting open.

whenever they showed one of those wire, behind the huddle shots, there were about 5 Saints blanketing three receivers.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy;1224484 said:
I think the OP is dead-on, honestly.

Romo looked very pedestrian inside the pocket.

I was also shocked though, that he didn't scramble up the middle. He had room up the middle several times with no one to throw to and he either threw it away or took a hit.

...agree with you on this one. Many times Romo didn't take what the defence gave him...the QB scramble up the middle.

If he would have hit that a few more times I think it would have pulled the Saints defenders closer to the line.

jrumann59

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1224519 said:
LOL. They don't exaggerate height in football. This isn't modeling or Hollywood. Brees is 6'0" and Romo is 6'2". So there goes that theory concerning height and seeing over the line, a stat that is overrated because QBs mostly throw through lanes.

Well on the broadcast Madden said that most of the measurements are usually fibbed and said brees is closer to 5'10"-5'11" that is why he ended up in Purdue and not some big Texas school since he Brees is from Texas.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
davidyee;1224552 said:
...agree with you on this one. Many times Romo didn't take what the defence gave him...the QB scramble up the middle.

If he would have hit that a few more times I think it would have pulled the Saints defenders closer to the line.

Exactly.

It's hard to be amazing when you're off the field for all practical purposes until you're down 25....but Romo had some space and for whatever reason, he seemed afraid to take off.

Though there's no defending that INT into the endzone.