Hate Cliches' used to Thwart Opponent Perspectives ...Whether True or False!

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Rookie Zone members are simply fascinating! I was scanning through some of the one-sided perspectives (completely understandable from an opponent's point of view), when I realized how some members like to pontificate information for their own benefit or to catch the respect of other Zone at the expense of opponent fans on board.

How refreshing it would be to have someone say ..."While I agree with your perspective, I hate your team more because of it!" Or, "let's leave our fandoms (not condoms) on the table and breakdown some difference we have about each other's team to get a better macro understanding."

Unrealistic ...perhaps, but I'd bet that somebody here knows where I'm coming from. Alright, that said, I'd like to re-table just a couple (for now)some of these old cliches' that many buy into because they are used so frequently

Myth#1: McNabb's Injury Not a Factor

Dang, what does a QB have to do to convince someone that he's incurred a debilitating injury earlier into the 2005 season than most people want to believe.

McNabb nursed three seperate injuries: chest and shin contusions and an abdominal strain. If the chest contusion were not problematic enough another worry for the Eagles is centered around the "abdominal strain", which indeed turned out to be the infamous sports hernia. The sports hernia posed problematic difficulties for both his performance mobility and motion-wise. The reoccuring nature of his chest contusion made D-Nabb struggle.

The rest is History! Sports hernia placed McNabb On the operating table while McMahon carried (or not) the team into the basement of the NFCE. Say what you want, but if Bledsoe was in a similar situation, you'd be singing a different tune.

Myth#2: Cowboy's OL good enough to stop NFC-East defensive Squads!

The Cowboys GM focused on ...and received exactly what they wanted ...TO! In fact, signing Kosier, and having him start at LG in place of Allen, allowed the Cowboys to have enough money to sign Owens.

The Cowboys OL is (I could be wrong, I'm not a Cowboys fan, but I've been here long enough to know your team better than most rookie Cowboy fans):

LT - Flozell Adams

LG - Al Johnson

C - Andre Gurode

RG - Rivera

RT - Fabini

The COwboys are dangerously weak at OL; especially with the loss/release (how ever you want to spin it) of Allen.

Backups ...Pettitti - RT and rookies (not worth mentioning is Torrin Tucker).

I'll bet I know what the Cowboys will do in the 2007 draft ...OL!

Well that's all I've got for now. I'm certain I'll hear from the usual suspects, but I'd really like to hear from the experience cadre of Cowboy fans (the silent minority).

1fisher

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Rookie Zone members are simply fascinating! I was scanning through some of the one-sided perspectives (completely understandable from an opponent's point of view), when I realized how some members like to pontificate information for their own benefit or to catch the respect of other Zone at the expense of opponent fans on board.

How refreshing it would be to have someone say ..."While I agree with your perspective, I hate your team more because of it!" Or, "let's leave our fandoms (not condoms) on the table and breakdown some difference we have about each other's team to get a better macro understanding."

Unrealistic ...perhaps, but I'd bet that somebody here knows where I'm coming from. Alright, that said, I'd like to re-table just a couple (for now)some of these old cliches' that many buy into because they are used so frequently

Dang, what does a QB have to do to convince someone that he's incurred a debilitating injury earlier into the 2005 season than most people want to believe.

McNabb nursed three seperate injuries: chest and shin contusions and an abdominal strain. If the chest contusion were not problematic enough another worry for the Eagles is centered around the "abdominal strain", which indeed turned out to be the infamous sports hernia. The sports hernia posed problematic difficulties for both his performance mobility and motion-wise. The reoccuring nature of his chest contusion made D-Nabb struggle.

The rest is History! Sports hernia placed McNabb On the operating table while McMahon carried (or not) the team into the basement of the NFCE. Say what you want, but if Bledsoe was in a similar situation, you'd be singing a different tune.

The CowboysGM focused on ...and received exactly what they wanted ...TO! In fact, signing Kosier, and having him start at LG in place of Allen, will allowed the Cowboys to have enough money to sign Owens.

The Cowboys OL is (I could be wrong, I'm not a Cowboys fan, but I've been here long enough to know your team better than most rookie Cowboy fans):

LT - Flozell Adams

LG - Al Johnson

C - Andre Gurode

RG - Rivera

RT - Fabini

The COwboys are dangerously weak at OL; especially with the loss/release (how ever you want to spin it) of Allen.

Well that's all I've got for now. I'm certain I'll hear from the usual suspects, but I'd really like to hear from the experience cadre of Cowboy fans (the silent minority).

didn't TB sign Tucker?

1fisher

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Just to bring you up to speed, Tucker is now with the Bucs.

better hope no rookie see's the post or pt is ROAST............:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

c'mon PT do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!:starspin

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Just to bring you up to speed, Tucker is now with the Bucs.

That's it....you advised an Eagles fan that a Cowboy's player is Now with the Bucs.

Hopefully you've got more than that to discredit/justify the myths I've mentioned. SHort-sighted ...no; I'll give you another shot at it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon, On your 1st myth I agree the injury to McNabb was a big hit on Philly as it would be on most teams in the NFL. Had it been Bledsoe chances are Dallas would have struggled big time. However I felt the bigger problem with Philly last season was on the defensive side of the ball where your team gave up over 24 points a game. That was the weakest Philly D I have seen in a while.

Myth 2: No doubt our OL is a question mark however cutting Allen had nothing to do with Owens fact is Allen play has slipped and was no where close to justifying that kind of money that was due. Chances are Kosier will never reach the level of Allen when he was in his prime but then very few players will ever reach the level of Allen in his prime. What we do get with Kosier is a guy who can pull and get to the 2nd level and is still young for a lineman. How the Cowboys O-line plays this season is anyone guess and until they hit the field that is all it is a guess pro or con.

Xy_Oldone

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

The Cowboys GM focused on ...and received exactly what they wanted ...TO! In fact, signing Kosier, and having him start at LG in place of Allen, allowed the Cowboys to have enough money to sign Owens.

LT - Flozell Adams

LG - Al Johnson

C - Andre Gurode

RG - Rivera

RT - Fabini

Man you have no clue. Cowboys OL week. First Fabini is a upgrade over Pettitti (sp?). Who started last year. We had a winning record with Petti there. So one upgrade on o-line. And as for Allen being gone. Well I am a huge fan but he just was losing it. How many times did I see him sitting on the sideline huffing and puffing when he should have been in the game. I personally think that Kosier will be an upgrade and will start. And with two upgrades on the line and Adams comming back we will rock. Come on did you even watch our o line before Adams went down?

I think your trying to convince yourself that our o line will be worse. And I wish you luck.

1fisher

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I know you've got more tan that 1F! Ok, I'll play for a minute ...Shouldn't you be asking Thumper that question?:rolleyes:

Actually I do have a pretty good TAN I just got back from Sanibel Island a couple of weeks ago!!!!

I knew where Tucker signed..... I just found it funny that you were proclaiming your cowboy knowledge as being superior to rookie fan knowledge.... that's all. :lmao2:

as for the other part of your post..... I'll just read and watch... I'm not in the mood for a 10 page debate.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

No, see...here is where you are wrong. I freely admit, without prejudice, that McNabb played the season hurt. He did. But where you run into trouble is when you conveniantly dismiss our OL for their injuries.

Its understandable.

Let me help you. While our OL is far from great, it was good enough to allow Drew time to pass the ball....before Flozell went down.

After Flozell went down, it turned from mediocre to terrible.

Secondly, Rivera pretty much played the season slowed down by injuries.

Al Johnson spent the offseason rehabbing his knee, not lifting weights.

McNabb was hurt yes.... and so was our OL.

Myth #3: You actually know what you are talking about!

The season hasn't been played, so its far from a "myth." I won't bet money on our OL being great.... but to call it a myth already is a bit presumptious.

The Cowboys GM focused on ...and received exactly what they wanted ...TO!

So....our GM wanted him. I second guess our OL all the time. Ask around. But I am willing to admit our GM/Coach probably know more about football than me. And by probably, I mean definetly.

I am pretty sure they might know a thing or two more than you. Maybe thats a stretch in your mind.... but this one, I'd be willing to bet money on.

Our GM focused on what he wanted and got it. What does that tell you?

I doubt it. I bet rookie fans know more than you.

LT - Flozell Adams

1 for 1.

LG - Al Johnson

Confirms my belief you know nothing.

C - Andre Gurode

Merely speculation. Its open competiton.

RG - Rivera

Hey, 2/4.

RT - Fabini

Speculation.

Sorry to disappoint that I am not one of the experience members here.

But my points aren't rendered useless just bec. I am not an experienced member here.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
1. Even when healthy, I have never been really impressed with McNabb, but he was obviously limited by injury most of last year. Any team that loses their starting QB to injury will suffer.

2. I have my fingers crossed about the Cowboy's OL. I think the toughest DL Dallas will face in the NFC East is the Giants. I think OL is the biggest question mark on the Cowboys this coming season. However, losing Allen is not a crippling blow since he has declined in the past few years. Getting Adams back will be a big help and we are hoping the younger players will improve.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Phoenix-Talon, On your 1st myth I agree the injury to McNabb was a big hit on Philly as it would be on most teams in the NFL. Had it been Bledsoe chances are Dallas would have struggled big time. However I felt the bigger problem with Philly last season was on the defensive side of the ball where your team gave up over 24 points a game. That was the weakest Philly D I have seen in a while.

Can't disagree with that Dd101. Hopefully some of our newly acquired defensive players with close that gap in performance. But, it sounds as though you may agree that the Eagles "injury excuse" has validity?

Myth 2: No doubt our OL is a question mark however cutting Allen had nothing to do with Owens fact is Allen play has slipped and was no where close to justifying that kind of money that was due. Chances are Kosier will never reach the level of Allen when he was in his prime but then very few players will ever reach the level of Allen in his prime. What we do get with Kosier is a guy who can pull and get to the 2nd level and is still young for a lineman.

Koiser will compete, once he connects with the rythmn of the OL and establishes a command over the playbook. Pulling denotes ground attack ...right now JJ is another question mark; along with some 2005 inconsistency in Barber. We'll have to wait and see.

How the Cowboys O-line plays this season is anyone guess and until they hit the field that is all it is a guess pro or con.

Agree.

dboyz

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

I agree with this one. The McNabb injury was significant although he was still pretty decent for most of the year.

Phoenix-Talon said:

LT - Flozell Adams

LG - Al Johnson

C - Andre Gurode

RG - Rivera

RT - Fabini

You got the line wrong:

LT Adams
LG Kosier (Peterman)
C Al Johnson (Gurode)
RG Rivera
RT Pettiti (Fabini)

OL is a question mark but I wouldn't say dangerously weak. Our two question marks are LG and RT. At LG we signed Kosier, who has been a starter and is a guy who moves pretty well and can get to the second level. Larry Allen was not a legitimate pro bowler any more, even though he kept going to Hawaii. The other possibility for this spot is a 3rd round pick from 2004, Peterman. He was injured his first year and a back up last year.

At RT Pettiti has reportedly significant improved his strength. He struggled last year, but he has the skills to be a solid starter. We also signed Fabini a long time starter with the Jets who until last year was remarkably durable. He's a solid player.

To sum up, we have multiple options at both of our supposed weak spots. Now we will struggle some if Flozell goes down again, but we'll still be in better position to deal with it than we were last year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Can't disagree with that Dd101. Hopefully some of our newly acquired defensive players with close that gap in performance. But, it sounds as though you may agree that the Eagles "injury excuse" has validity?

Koiser will compete, once he connects with the rythmn of the OL and establishes a command over the playbook. Pulling denotes ground attack ...right now JJ is another question mark; along with some 2005 inconsistency in Barber. We'll have to wait and see.

Agree.

I agree the injury to McNabb hurt Philly, Dallas injuries on our OL hurt them as well. As for question marks sure Dallas has some but guess what so does Philly. Right now McNabb has to come back and show he can do the job and do so with a WR core that is nothing to brag about and a ground game in philly that was almost non-existent A defense that is very suspect right now. Philly was the top team in the NFCE but I think the rest of the east has now caught up and will not be surprised to see that we have surpassed Philly.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Xy_Oldone said:
Man you have no clue. Cowboys OL week. First Fabini is a upgrade over Pettitti (sp?). Who started last year. We had a winning record with Petti there. So one upgrade on o-line. And as for Allen being gone. Well I am a huge fan but he just was losing it. How many times did I see him sitting on the sideline huffing and puffing when he should have been in the game. I personally think that Kosier will be an upgrade and will start. And with two upgrades on the line and Adams comming back we will rock. Come on did you even watch our o line before Adams went down?

Listen Mr. JM ... most team fans (admittedly not all) are also football fans. I happen to enjoy all football games including when the Cowboys play Other teams! So don't give me that!

I think your trying to convince yourself that our o line will be worse. And I wish you luck

...Not the old "convincing myself..." cliche'!!?:rolleyes: Try again!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WOW -- Gotta love Talon coming so hard with analysis of our roster -- when he doesn't even know who is on the team or what position they play.

Nice work Talon!!

TheHustler

Reaction score
The Cowboys OL is certainly questionable, although it should be better than last year, which admittedly, isn't saying much.

The Eagles DL is questionable in its own right. Relying on Kearse (who is in continual decline) and an over the hill Darren Howard who notched a whole 3.5 sacks last year.

It should be a good fight, I expect the Eagles to get a few sacks, mostly from blitzing LBs, but I also expect Bledsoe to get time to throw.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. To me, it wasn't so much the fact that DMc was injured, and yes it limited him, it should limit anyone. It was the MEDIA, once again, making him the media darling super human powers that only he can play with those injuries. If it was Drew, they would be saying he is washed up, get him out of there, he's stupid for playing injured, blah, blah, blah. Or that's the way it seemd to me.

2. We will constantly here the same old stuff about our OL, until the season starts. And then we will see how well they can actually play. I think they will be ok, can't be worse than last year. And of course, as with any team, any unit, health will be a big factor. I will not judge theem on pre season games either.

superpunk

Reaction score
Ugh.

Next time you want to condescend, try to have all your facts straight, first, PT.

If you want, we'll ignore the OP and allow you to attempt something resembling rational thought - not more mindless "The Eagles will be better - you'll see - McNabb's tummy hurt last year - and we had so many injuries to small bit players...." Blech. The Eagles sucked last year - ALL year, and it was much deeper than McNabb's poor widdle stomach-ache.