Video: Have the Cowboys done enough?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Addition by subtraction...remove the slow pieces, and add in some upgrades of speed. We'll see how the rest of those packages compare in being more Dak friendly...good points.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hard to say. These coaches hate letting anyone else get reps. If they are on the game roster coaches have got to get them on the field. we need more guys to get involved and not just ask gallup or hurns to block. If austin makes this team then he will need carries to keep him involved and productive.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I'm completely fine with where we are at tight end and receiver.

Safety and defensive tackle are the only two spots I would like to see some moves made.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree with Bucky Brooks. Addition by subtraction. Minus the 2 slowest players the Cowboys offense will be fine.

Side note - just because the current TE's aren't overly proven doesn't mean they can't play good football.

I completely expect the TE corp to surprise this year.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
In an effort to qualify your answer, what would you have done differently?
Fired Garrett, bring in a HC like Shaw from Stanford or Harbaugh in Michigan (A college coach with a ton of HC experience that likes to run the ball). Probably traded out of the 1st round completely to get more picks, capitalizing on the 2-3 round depth this draft had. Probably would have tried to moved Beasley over Switzer. And I’m not the biggest fan of trading for a 29 yr old FS but if I was able to move out of the 1st round I probably would have done that.

zerofill

Reaction score
Hard to say. These coaches hate letting anyone else get reps. If they are on the game roster coaches have got to get them on the field. we need more guys to get involved and not just ask gallup or hurns to block. If austin makes this team then he will need carries to keep him involved and productive.

You are spot on with that!

That is one big thing... They need to let the players play. If you are going to put someone on the active roster... let them play some... There is no way to keep someone emotionally invested if they feel like they are just filling a uniform to sit on the sidelines every game all game. You have to get them involved with at least a few plays in games. If you don't feel like you are part of the team winning and even losing, you are worthless when your time comes to really have to carry the load, when someone goes down. The next man up philosophy needs to happen throughout the season, not just when someone gets hurt. So they need to work on that rotation setup... getting more people involved more often. This team is not setup to where 3 players can win the game. This new revamp needs to seriously be a team effort.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Considering the national narrative, this surprised me.

Nice find with this video. I hadn’t considered this angle. They’ve certainly upgraded with speed. I think the move for Austin was a big deal.

jday

Reaction score
I'm completely fine with where we are at tight end and receiver.

Safety and defensive tackle are the only two spots I would like to see some moves made.
This is pretty much where I am at. I think our offense is going to surprise people; particularly considering the efforts to fix the offensive line. If the Cowboys win there, everything else will look easy and the receivers will look like world-beaters.

The defense is where my concerns are.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Agree with Bucky Brooks. Addition by subtraction. Minus the 2 slowest players the Cowboys offense will be fine.

Side note - just because the current TE's aren't overly proven doesn't mean they can't play good football.

I completely expect the TE corp to surprise this year.

We know Swaim can catch, not sure about Jarwin. Sergeant Schultz looks like he can as well so we should be fine. I don’t give a rat’s *** who scores TD’s for us as long as we do it about 4 times a game.

jday

Reaction score
Fired Garrett, bring in a HC like Shaw from Stanford or Harbaugh in Michigan (A college coach with a ton of HC experience that likes to run the ball). Probably traded out of the 1st round completely to get more picks, capitalizing on the 2-3 round depth this draft had. Probably would have tried to moved Beasley over Switzer. And I’m not the biggest fan of trading for a 29 yr old FS but if I was able to move out of the 1st round I probably would have done that.
Not a bad answer. Harbaugh is someone I would be interested in. And from my research into Schultz, I can see how Shaw might be a good fit. If Garrett doesn't get this team off to a good start, he might not last the season.

Prior to the draft and Dez being released, it occurred to me they would try to move Beasley...but he is the Dak-friendliest wr on the team...and Austin could be a better version of Switzer....we will see.

Ultimately, I wouldn't trade a 2nd for a guy who would want a big contract that carries him into his athletic decline. Eventually, it will become bad money, in my opinion.

Zman5

Reaction score
Gronk and Kelcey could have both been on the team and they would have only had 9 catches total with Witt on the team.
It's impossible to know what we have with the TE with Witt playing 99% of the snaps.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Enough, for what?

I think they're following their long term development plan so far. Value in free agency and the draft. We're definitely *not* in win now mode. I'd expect them to bring in some veterans to fill holes. Not the long term play, but it does give us a better chance to win this year. Just how much of that they do will be interesting.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Ultimately, I wouldn't trade a 2nd for a guy who would want a big contract that carries him into his athletic decline. Eventually, it will become bad money, in my opinion.
With Witten gone leadership just became the most important position of need, Lee is a Leader but frequently injured, and Prescott has to be given the opportunity to lead the offense solo.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would characterize the Cowboy's TEs as adequate, particularly when you consider their "ground-and-pound" running game. It appears from the little information on hand, each TE on the roster today is competent, or better, blockers. Sure, it would be nice to have a true pass-catching threat at TE, someone that can split the seam.

Candidly, I am really glad the Cowboys didn't panic and reach for a TE earlier in the draft. Overall, I am pleased with the Schultz pick and, until proven otherwise, generally happy with the TE group... regardless, there will still be an opportunity (I think) to add a veteran later during the roster-cutting season.

:)

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Considering the national narrative, this surprised me.

Didn't watch the vid. Have they done enough at TE? I'll reserve comment and assume the coaches know a lot more about Swaim, Jarwin and Rico than I do. At the very least we're going to see some other TE's in a pass catching roll and that's a good thing. Witten was great at one time but the "Y formation" became a six- eight yard rumble in the jungle and instant tackle, often short of the sticks. Apparently after 14 years teams schemed for him lol. No disrespect to 82 intended. I do like Shuuuuultz. That old kernel clink had it in for him from the start :)

CCBoy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys have a scoring average of over 28 points a game...yes.

If the Cowboys give up a scoring average of below 20 points a game...yes.