Video: Have the Cowboys done enough?

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is not a single TE on this roster other than the 4th rounder that I trust to start 16 games. There is not a single TE on this roster that will ever replace Jason Witten. He was the best TE ever and we would be silly to think we will get another one of that caliber.

(coughing)

Geoff Swain
Rico Gathers
Dalton Schultz
Blake Jarwin

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You misunderstand.

I was merely attempting to determine if he's just a pessimist allowing his emotions to do the talking for him or if he could back up his assertions with a logical well-thought plan.

The former is typically wrong no matter how close to the truth they are. But in his response, he proved to be the latter, so even if I don't agree with everything he believes, he has my respect.

You're right, he didn't have to qualify his answer. But the conversation was made better because he did. :thumbup:
I understand. Perhaps I over reacted but most fans don’t have a logical solution letting their emotions take over but it shouldn’t revert from voicing them. Football and sports in general spurs emotional outburst.

And most aren’t qualified nor knowledgeable enough to provide a response but it shouldnt disqualify them. It doesn’t mean they can’t see the symptoms.

You obviously are an excellent well thought out poster with a higher intellect than most. I enjoy your post but whether we’re more positive or negative shouldn’t elevate anyone above another. We need the balance for a more entertaining and informative read. Thanks!

Batman1980

Reaction score
(coughing)

Geoff Swain
Rico Gathers
Dalton Schultz
Blake Jarwin

There's what, 9 career catches between them? Gathers is a former basketball player who still hasn't played a real down of football and just missed an entire season with a concussion sustained in pre-season. Schultz I like, I think he can be our Dan Campbell.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There's what, 9 career catches between them? Gathers is a former basketball player who still hasn't played a real down of football and just missed an entire season with a concussion sustained in pre-season. Schultz I like, I think he can be our Dan Campbell.

:)
business-commerce-photocopier-photocopying-photocopy_machines-copiers-shredders-mfln4067_low.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And Martin's deal is not done yet...and a possibility of signing additional players?
We shall see. I’m just questioning the timing of Dez release . I think it’s a fair argument the money could have been better utilized this year. Time will tell.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I understand. Perhaps I over reacted but most fans don’t have a logical solution letting their emotions take over but it shouldn’t revert from voicing them. Football and sports in general spurs emotional outburst.

And most aren’t qualified nor knowledgeable enough to provide a response but it shouldnt disqualify them.

I see this type of intent all too often ( not directed at you specifically but this spurred my response)attempting to intimidate those of less knowledge. It doesn’t mean they can’t see the symptoms. I’m sure you had good intentions.

And I think most see their disconnect of little substance without it being pointed out. No need to come off arrogant and condescending as I’ve found myself guilty of on occasion too usually out of frustration.

You obviously are an excellent well thought out poster with a higher intellect than most. I enjoy your post but whether we’re more positive or negative shouldn’t elevate anyone above another. We need the balance for a more entertaining and informative read. Thanks!

My wife, Ann, and I were seated in AT&T stadium opening night in an Exhibition Game against the Titans. Another Cowboys fan couple were seated just below us. The wife, became frightened of the height and view from the seats. They left their two kids, who we had not met before the game, with us to watch for them, for the first half. We had a grand time, and all was well when the couple returned to their seats after halftime.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Jason Witten just left impossible shoes to fill, it sounds like Rico Gathers will get the first crack at it. Swaim and Schultz probably next man up if Gathers can't get it done. Hanna's gone as well so I sense a TE by committee approach is on the way.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jason Witten just left impossible shoes to fill, it sounds like Rico Gathers will get the first crack at it. Swaim and Schultz probably next man up if Gathers can't get it done. Hanna's gone as well so I sense a TE by committee approach is on the way.

I still see strong run blocking traits and physical ability to add in the passing game.

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
Agree with Bucky Brooks. Addition by subtraction. Minus the 2 slowest players the Cowboys offense will be fine.

Side note - just because the current TE's aren't overly proven doesn't mean they can't play good football.

I completely expect the TE corp to surprise this year.

I could not agree more. Maybe the current TE corps will not be any good. But again, maybe they will. There is no reason to not give them the chance to shine. Who knows, they may completely surprise everyone if the coaches give them the reps and the chance.

Batman1980

Reaction score
They seem to like Blake Jarwin and I think there's a little something there, TE and WR are the two position groups that will be the most interesting to watch in camp. If I were in one of those I'd be camped out in Prescott's back yard catching passes with him every night.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I am not sold on this Dak's friendly plan.
Dink and dunk is too conservative for my liking.

jday

Reaction score

And most aren’t qualified nor knowledgeable enough to provide a response but it shouldnt disqualify them. It doesn’t mean they can’t see the symptoms.

In hindsight, I probably should have left "qualify" out of it. But it was late, I was in the cup, and looking for Cowboys-relayed conversation.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering the positions that had to be addressed, LB, OL and WR, I think they did the best they could at the TE position. The fact that Schultz came from a run offense is a plus in his transition to the NFL with this team.

The Cowboys will miss Witten's locker room presence more than his production on the field. Dak will have these targets: Elliott, Austin, Beasley, Hurns, Williams, Brown, Gallup and Thompson. Does this offense need a TE to be a critical factor as a receiver to be successful? The answer to that lies in the OC.

I do not think the Cowboys did enough with regards to the OC, I do not believe he's the best one for this offense or QB.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Considering the positions that had to be addressed, LB, OL and WR, I think they did the best they could at the TE position. The fact that Schultz came from a run offense is a plus in his transition to the NFL with this team.

The Cowboys will miss Witten's locker room presence more than his production on the field. Dak will have these targets: Elliott, Austin, Beasley, Hurns, Williams, Brown, Gallup and Thompson. Does this offense need a TE to be a critical factor as a receiver to be successful? The answer to that lies in the OC.

I do not think the Cowboys did enough with regards to the OC, I do not believe he's the best one for this offense or QB.

Linehan is a 1 trick pony, his offense is stellar when it works and it's historically bad when it doesn't. So I think we need a heavy upgrade there, it's too bad we didn't get one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Our passing offense will go as our QB goes.

And it has an opportunity to upgrade from 26th ranked with Elliott on the field for 16 games.