Video: Have the Cowboys done enough?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Agree with Bucky Brooks. Addition by subtraction. Minus the 2 slowest players the Cowboys offense will be fine.

Side note - just because the current TE's aren't overly proven doesn't mean they can't play good football.

I completely expect the TE corp to surprise this year.

Certainly doesn't mean they can either. We just don't have enough evidence one way or the other, which is always concerning.

Ultimately, I think Gathers showed the best combination of both blocking and receiving last preseason, but that doesn't mean he will build on that or that his rawness won't prove to be more of an issue than an asset.

I think Swaim is a solid blocker who isn't a big threat as a receiver in the No. 1 spot, and the same may hold true for Schultz and Wells. Jarwin, who the team seems to really like, may be the best receiver, but I'm not sure if he's a good blocker.

These are just my thoughts on the TEs we've got, though. I acknowledge that it could turn out much differently than that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Linehan is a 1 trick pony, his offense is stellar when it works and it's historically bad when it doesn't. So I think we need a heavy upgrade there, it's too bad we didn't get one.
But that’s a typical knee jerk reaction in where he’s blamed for poor results and not credited with better results when it’s usually more about the talent if it fluctuates .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me he was a top 5 all-time TE and one of the few leaders we've had post 90's era. So to me, I doubt they will ever be able to really replace him.
Teams don't usually replace a player like that, just be happy they had him for as long as they did. He was a top 3 all time to me but lately, only in that leadership and locker room presence, not on the field.

I am as big a fan of his as anyone here and used him as my counterweight when they brought in guys like Hardy but as a player on the field for this offense and this QB, his time had passed.

When Romo was cut, that was the end of Witten striking any fear into defenses. Romo knew Witten's strength, shielding the defender and giving him a target but only after he had reached the marker because he was not a tackle breaker and was more concerned with ball security. Dak cannot buy the time that Romo could and used Witten more as a pass dump than a down converter.

I believe the absence of Bryant and Witten will force Prescott into progressing faster and focusing more on the down the field plays or using his two RB's, both of which are excellent receivers and RAC guys. Witten was his security blanket and while it was not his intention skewed the completion % upwards.

The term "Dak friendly" has been tossed around a lot but I do not see it that way. He's got plenty of weapons and a top 3 OL, this offense is "Dak prove it" to me. If he can't make this work, they will be in the market for another QB next off season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that’s a typical knee jerk reaction in where he’s blamed for poor results and not credited with better results when it’s usually more about the talent if it fluctuates .
I've seen what he can and can't do in DET and here, I don't think he's the guy for this offense. And I also don't think he's the OC for this QB, he didn't do jack for Stafford. I look for Moore to be tethered to Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've seen what he can and can't do in DET and here, I don't think he's the guy for this offense. And I also don't think he's the OC for this QB, he didn't do jack for Stafford. I look for Moore to be tethered to Dak.
I’m sure we’ll continue spinning the wheel attempting to surround Dak with the right support .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
With Witten gone leadership just became the most important position of need, Lee is a Leader but frequently injured, and Prescott has to be given the opportunity to lead the offense solo.

Fredbeard
Smartest guy on the offense, and the biggest badass

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Assuming the key guys remain healthy on offense, I believe we'll be fine there. Safety is the position that remains a major concern.
What about an injury at DT? Or Irving being suspended for this girlfriend issue