Have to keep modern defenses so simple or everything falls to pieces

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You make no sense.
A player who has played for Nolan before and understands his scheme...jeez. That is who this team should look for because no on has experience in his scheme on this team. We need a player coach (similar to Lee and Woodson in our past).

Broke down enough? lol

Reactions: CWR

Zman5

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what scheme you use if the players are not doing what they are supposed to do.

If a player is told to hold outside containment, don't go crashing inside. You don't need to be a genius to follow that simple instruction.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
A player who has played for Nolan before and understands his scheme...jeez. That is who this team should look for because no on has experience in his scheme on this team. We need a player coach (similar to Lee and Woodson in our past).

Broke down enough? lol

Do you actually read what you say? Neither Lee nor Woodson played coach on field the first year in a new defense. When they did it was mostly to help or coach or mentor younger players with little NFL experience. Lee was the MLB and captain so it was his job to yell out different things just like captains on other teams do. Next most of Nolan's defenses haven't been that good and to go looking for a player from many years ago that played on the one good defense he had is just as foolish. Stop with the fantasy football planning.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Do you actually read what you say? Neither Lee nor Woodson played coach on field the first year in a new defense. When they did it was mostly to help or coach or mentor younger players with little NFL experience. Lee was the MLB and captain so it was his job to yell out different things just like captains on other teams do. Next most of Nolan's defenses haven't been that good and to go looking for a player from many years ago that played on the one good defense he had is just as foolish. Stop with the fantasy football planning.
You're not much for thinking out of the box are you? Two different things are being discussed. One is the need for a player coach to give the D some confidence on this team. We have had players like that in Lee and Woodson in our past. (Not related to the New D yet, hold on).

It would be wise to have someone like that on our team who played for Nolan before. They could maybe be our new Lee or Woody for this season.

:) Fantasy football planning...good one..I think. Wow you're right on the length of time...MY Mistake (not messing with ya) Thought he was with ATL much more recently.

Sorry for being a jerk there with whole not yet, hold on crap (a bit much on my part)...need some crow cooked asap lol

I guess "maybe" a leftover Saints LB or just someone who has experience with him is about the best we could do realistically.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what scheme you use if the players are not doing what they are supposed to do.

If a player is told to hold outside containment, don't go crashing inside. You don't need to be a genius to follow that simple instruction.

If it was that simple you would be right but when Nolan has so many schemes and different alignments in them and in one if the offense lines this way in this scheme and alignment you do this but in this scheme and alignment you do that And if the offense shifts and then having to stop and think now in this scheme and alignment I'm supposed to do this but we or4iginally lined up in that. The defense often looks like keystone cops because of all the different alignments in many different schemes the players no long can just react, they have to stop and think and then react which is all to often to late. It's Nolan that decided to make players fit his schemes and alignments instead of using schemes and alignments to match the players strengths.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You're not much for thinking out of the box are you? Two different things are being discussed. One is the need for a player coach to give the D some confidence on this team. We have had players like that in Lee and Woodson in our past. (Not related to the New D yet, hold on).

It would be wise to have someone like that on our team who played for Nolan before. They could maybe be our new Lee or Woody for this season.

:) Fantasy football planning...good one..I think. Wow you're right on the length of time...MY Mistake (not messing with ya) Thought he was with ATL much more recently.

Sorry for being a jerk there with whole not yet, hold on crap (a bit much on my part)...need some crow cooked asap lol

I guess "maybe" a leftover Saints LB or just someone who has experience with him is about the best we could do realistically.

I already commented on Lee and Woodson. The last defense he was the DC was the chargers for ONE season in 2015 and they were 21st in the league. Before that was the falcons were he had his good season where they were 9th. Now all of those are better than where the Cowboys are now at 30th but bringing in a player just to be a coach on the field with hopes that it would get the Cowboys up to 9th or even 21st is not a high probability. BTW when they talk about thinking out side of the box in the NFL that usually means taking big chances.and taking big chances often don't pan out.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I already commented on Lee and Woodson. The last defense he was the DC was the chargers for ONE season in 2015 and they were 21st in the league. Before that was the falcons were he had his good season where they were 9th. Now all of those are better than where the Cowboys are now at 30th but bringing in a player just to be a coach on the field with hopes that it would get the Cowboys up to 9th or even 21st is not a high probability. BTW when they talk about thinking out side of the box in the NFL that usually means taking big chances.and taking big chances often don't pan out.
You got this one and agree with you, I was off base tbh. I hear your point now where I thought I did earlier (obviously I didn't though).

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Simple fix .........fire nolan hire someone with common sense and who will design a defense for the players WE HAVE!

glimmerman

Reaction score
Rob Ryan, who was known to take a drink or two.

ZG-HZy7K.jpg
Lol. Great pic.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I tend to believe it. I remember listening to Ex Raven Bart Scott on his show around 4 years ago or so. He went on and on about how basically so many of the modern NFL players are so stupid that you have to keep modern defenses so simple or everything falls to pieces in short order.
He really hammered home the point,....said he was appalled at what he was seeing on defense in the modern NFL. I wasnt a big fan of the Nolan hire to begin with and this is just one of the reasons why. You have to walk before you can run and he's expecting a bunch of mental paraplegics to run the 40 yard dash! :D

As you can see........It doesnt work.

Not true but we are seeing proof you do not implement an exotic defense with almost no real offseason to learn it. We are seeing implementation issues more than schematic ones. Nolan needs to revise his plan asap, esp with all the injuries and make things a bit easier for these guys to know what they are supposed to do and when.

Zman5

Reaction score
If it was that simple you would be right but when Nolan has so many schemes and different alignments in them and in one if the offense lines this way in this scheme and alignment you do this but in this scheme and alignment you do that And if the offense shifts and then having to stop and think now in this scheme and alignment I'm supposed to do this but we or4iginally lined up in that. The defense often looks like keystone cops because of all the different alignments in many different schemes the players no long can just react, they have to stop and think and then react which is all to often to late. It's Nolan that decided to make players fit his schemes and alignments instead of using schemes and alignments to match the players strengths.

Obviously it's not that simple why the defense sucks but until you see players doing basic thing properly you can't blame the scheme as the main culprit. They've played 4 games in a new scheme that they couldn't really teach property due to Covid.

If you want to blame the coaches for anything, you can blame them for not being a quick teacher. But the things the certain players are screwing up are things they need to do in any scheme. Not just this one. It's like blaming the scheme for players being lousy tacklers.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
That's possibly true too....I'm not even sure how we sit here with Nolan as our DC after what he did in Atlanta......Maybe Jerry and co. should've hired the DC too.
Maybe you're right, it probably would have end up being Marvin Lewis. I'm actually okay with that

ESisback

Reaction score
Same reason giants hired garrett. He's coached their offense to dead last in the nfl. The heart wants what the heart wants, no matter how the brain feels.

Garrett actually had some pretty formidable offenses. He just wasn’t a good HC. IMHO.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Obviously it's not that simple why the defense sucks but until you see players doing basic thing properly you can't blame the scheme as the main culprit. They've played 4 games in a new scheme that they couldn't really teach property due to Covid.

If you want to blame the coaches for anything, you can blame them for not being a quick teacher. But the things the certain players are screwing up are things they need to do in any scheme. Not just this one. It's like blaming the scheme for players being lousy tacklers.

When you have a coach that has taken the philosophy of making the players fit his schemes and alignments instead to using schemes and alignments that fits the player's strength, When players are made to play a completely different style than they have in their careers then yes the coach can be and is to blame. With no off season or preseason games it was not the time to install a complicated convoluted defense that is making players fit it instead of schemes and alignments that fit the player's strength.

Zman5

Reaction score
When you have a coach that has taken the philosophy of making the players fit his schemes and alignments instead to using schemes and alignments that fits the player's strength, When players are made to play a completely different style than they have in their careers then yes the coach can be and is to blame. With no off season or preseason games it was not the time to install a complicated convoluted defense that is making players fit it instead of schemes and alignments that fit the player's strength.

As I said, it doesn't matter what scheme you play if the players don't do basic things. You can blame the coach for not teaching the basics well but it's hard to blame the scheme until you see the players do these basic things first. It's like blaming the scheme because the players don't or can't tackle.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
As I said, it doesn't matter what scheme you play if the players don't do basic things. You can blame the coach for not teaching the basics well but it's hard to blame the scheme until you see the players do these basic things first. It's like blaming the scheme because the players don't or can't tackle.

What you're not getting at all is many of the players are having to play different techniques than they ever have and many are having to play ways that don't allow them to play their normal way that they were much better at. Yes there have been some missed tackles but mostly because they were out of position because of the complicated convoluted defense that they have to think before reacting instead of if they played a scheme and alignments that allowed them to play to their strengths and have played their entire career so they can just react and don't have to think first because of all the many schemes and just as many alignments in each scheme. You wouldn't here so many people that are fans and even sportswriters are now saying that Nolan's schemes just aren't working. If it was as simple as just tackling we would hear and read that the defense needs to just go back to the basi9cs and learn how to tackle but that's not the case.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Whether it's a bad scheme, or too complex of a scheme, or bad players...whatever. All of those players and defensive coaches are watching the tape of their previous game every week, and they MUST be embarrassed. Players way out of position, receivers running wide open, can't contain bootlegs (particularly early in games when you KNOW that's the basis of the opposing team's early offense...Rams and Seahawks for sure). And a lack of pressure. It's absolutely embarrassing for THEM, forget us fans.

So, if those coaches and players can't get in practice and fix this and show some improvement, that's all they need to know about who they each are. They are each failing, miserably...becoming a laughingstock, opposing offenses now licking their chops. "We can run on them, we can pass on them, we can pick on the DBs with multiple routes, we can target Jaylon and get in his head. Hec, as long as we don't beat ourselves, this should be an easy 500 yards of offense." :confused:

CWR

Reaction score
They truly need to go back to the base 4-3 defense.

When Tom Landry developed his Flex Defense, it was said, it was very hard to learn. And it took about 3 years for the players to truly grasp its entirety.
I think this is where Tom's 3 year rule came in effect. They were going to get it or not.

Nolan's stupid Hybrid plan kind of reminds me of this. Back when Tom coached, they had the players rights forever, so a player could have time to learn and stay. Now, a team can't do this, as half the players move on by year 4. Has nothing to do with if the are smart or dumb or in between. It has to do with time.

Crap can the stupid concept and / or crap can Nolan if he can't or won't change.

Think about the fact his 3 year rule came at a time when players weren't mandated limited padded practices ect. Now days it's probably more like 5 years.