Have to keep modern defenses so simple or everything falls to pieces

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tend to believe it. I remember listening to Ex Raven Bart Scott on his show around 4 years ago or so. He went on and on about how basically so many of the modern NFL players are so stupid that you have to keep modern defenses so simple or everything falls to pieces in short order.
He really hammered home the point,....said he was appalled at what he was seeing on defense in the modern NFL. I wasnt a big fan of the Nolan hire to begin with and this is just one of the reasons why. You have to walk before you can run and he's expecting a bunch of mental paraplegics to run the 40 yard dash! :D

As you can see........It doesnt work.

Belichick's defense is complicated...

Covid...no preseason and no real offseason...injuries.

Zman5

Reaction score
What you're not getting at all is many of the players are having to play different techniques than they ever have and many are having to play ways that don't allow them to play their normal way that they were much better at. Yes there have been some missed tackles but mostly because they were out of position because of the complicated convoluted defense that they have to think before reacting instead of if they played a scheme and alignments that allowed them to play to their strengths and have played their entire career so they can just react and don't have to think first because of all the many schemes and just as many alignments in each scheme. You wouldn't here so many people that are fans and even sportswriters are now saying that Nolan's schemes just aren't working. If it was as simple as just tackling we would hear and read that the defense needs to just go back to the basi9cs and learn how to tackle but that's not the case.

All the mistakes I saw the players (DLaw, Griffin, Armstrong) making when trying to contain the edge was with their hands on the ground. Like they have been doing in previous schemes they played in. It has nothing to do with using a different technique.

They were trying to play hero ball and blowing their assignments. It has nothing to do with using a different technique .

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
All the mistakes I saw the players (DLaw, Griffin, Armstrong) making when trying to contain the edge was with their hands on the ground. Like they have been doing in previous schemes they played in. It has nothing to do with using a different technique.

They were trying to play hero ball and blowing their assignments. It has nothing to do with using a different technique .

I find it amazing that so many see it differently. So many including analysts and former coaches, people with a heck of a lot more NFL experience than you see it as a scheme problem. You think as you want. It's clear you don't or won't see what others see so I'm done with this. Don't bother to reply because I'll just ignore it.

Zman5

Reaction score
I find it amazing that so many see it differently. So many including analysts and former coaches, people with a heck of a lot more NFL experience than you see it as a scheme problem. You think as you want. It's clear you don't or won't see what others see so I'm done with this. Don't bother to reply because I'll just ignore it.

Ok bud. Lol.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Honestly...we need to go back to the fundamentals. I would like to see the defensive ends keep containment...and not get fooled by play action...or get kicked out of a play.

DTs....can we just not get blown off the ball?

LBers....start filling holes....instead of meeting the RBs 6 yards down field?...then getting dragged for another 3?

Safeties....don't let people get behind you...

CBs...Anyone in Dallas capable of jumping a route? or play some bump and run? Tired of seeing 9 yard cushions...and easy completions.