Have you ever had a fake relative contact you?

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I have this dude with the same last name trying to contact me on Facebook recently. I've never heard of him but several family members are already friends with him on there. I asked him to explain how we are related and his responses do not make sense to me. We don't have a family fortune or anything, so am I right to be totally skeptical? It seems like a nice enough guy but I just assume human beings are scammers at this point.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phone scam. I say, hello. The person on the other end says, hi gramdpa it's your grandson how are you doing? I don't have grandkids yet so I just ask, which grandson is this? Click.

Sometimes to play along I'll say, I'm fine...do you need more money? The reply is YES. I always say, you sure went through that $10,000 quickly do you need more than that this time?

:laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have this dude with the same last name trying to contact me on Facebook recently. I've never heard of him but several family members are already friends with him on there. I asked him to explain how we are related and his responses do not make sense to me. We don't have a family fortune or anything, so am I right to be totally skeptical? It seems like a nice enough guy but I just assume human beings are scammers at this point.
I actually just found out about and met a half sister. She found our family through one of those 23 and Me type deals. My sister did it to see if it would cross reference to her, and it did. I already told her she can't have either of my kidneys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Never had a fake relative contact me.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Never had a fake relative contact me.
Well, then I am envious. Several family members have tried to explain how he is related but it still doesn't make sense. He has my parents' and grandparents' names wrong so I'm calling Bullshat. He's not asking for anything yet so I don't know what to think. My Niece and Sister in Law have been friends with him for years but they will do that with anyone. My mother gave me a vague answer when I asked her.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I had a guy on FB send me a PM saying he just joined and to see how I was doing. He posed as my uncle, even somehow got a photo of him for his profile. I knew it was a scam since that uncle died a few years prior.

I played along for a bit until it got real weird :laugh:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I had a guy on FB send me a PM saying he just joined and to see how I was doing. He posed as my uncle, even somehow got a photo of him for his profile. I knew it was a scam since that uncle died a few years prior.

I played along for a bit until it got real weird :laugh:
What's weird is this guy looks like me and my brothers. Could easily be a fourth. Mom, is there something you're not telling me?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, then I am envious. Several family members have tried to explain how he is related but it still doesn't make sense. He has my parents' and grandparents' names wrong so I'm calling Bullshat. He's not asking for anything yet so I don't know what to think. My Niece and Sister in Law have been friends with him for years but they will do that with anyone. My mother gave me a vague answer when I asked her.
Hmm, sounds like maybe they don't want you to know your dad cheated. :p That was actually pretty much the response my new half sister got from her mother's family. They refuse to believe their mother cheated on their father. My father was a scumbag, so most of us weren't terribly shocked. My mother's actually surprised we haven't gotten more brothers and sisters calling.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Hmm, sounds like maybe they don't want you to know your dad cheated. :p That was actually pretty much the response my new half sister got from her mother's family. They refuse to believe their mother cheated on their father. My father was a scumbag, so most of us weren't terribly shocked. My mother's actually surprised we haven't gotten more brothers and sisters calling.
My Dad was considered a saint to most people, including my Mother's. I hope there isn't some scumbag thing going on here but who knows. This guy is claiming to be a Cousin of mine.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

If he asks to see your boobs drop all contact immediately.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I guess it’s up to you and how you feel going forward. I never knew my biological dad so when I got older and settled I hired a PI to track him down. He found him and told me he lived in Phoenix. I took a week off and drove there and knocked on his door. My older brother of the same father didn’t want anything to do with him and never met him before he died. So I guess it all depends on how you’re wired.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I guess it’s up to you and how you feel going forward. I never knew my biological dad so when I got older and settled I hired a PI to track him down. He found him and told me he lived in Phoenix. I took a week off and drove there and knocked on his door. My older brother of the same father didn’t want anything to do with him and never met him before he died. So I guess it all depends on how you’re wired.
Oh crap, your biological father lived in Phoenix? That's where my manwhore of a father moved to. Tell me he didn't live there between '71 and '88!

nobody

Reaction score

I had someone contact me with the same last name that I had no idea who it was...turns out we were related...like 5 generations back. So a very distant cousin. You never know! But I'm sure the dude saw your pic and was like, oh man, I gotta have me some of those crazy eyes (for breakfast sometime)! He's slowly reeling you in as he researches recipes.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
My Twitter FB rules? I no do friend networks and that jazz Follow a few people and comment on something now and again. Seems to be great...not attract lot of flies. But yes,it’s ok to be skeptical ...means you’re being responsible.