Head coach power rankings

Hadenough

Reaction score
this is about the dumbest thing ive ever seen

it was probably crafted that way because "Clicks generate outrage and outrage generates money"
Not really! I would say this list should be broken into Teir 1, 2 and 3. That would make it more acceptable.

ESisback

Reaction score
You sure have a lot of faith in MM . remember this at the end of this coming season , if they win 10 regular season games with him calling the offense it will be a great accomplishment .
I’m even more certain that if they win ten games or more this year, you won’t call it a “great accomplishment”.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
"If you look at the history of our offense here," McCarthy said. "2020 was really trying to figure out who we were wanting to be. I think the evolution from 2021 to 2022 is really the direction we want to continue to build off of."

With a relatively new offensive hierarchy, how will things change without Moore calling plays for the first time since 2019? The first true change would appear in a shift of language and communication. Both elements are established very early in the offseason and first put to the test throughout this week's OTAs.

In 2022, the efficiency ratings took a step forward while the yards per game numbers took a minor hit. The Cowboys finished first in red zone efficiency (71.4%) and fifth in third down conversion percentage (45.5%) after finishing outside the top five in both categories the year before. While the team finished 11th in total yards per contest (354.9).

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/offense-is-new-but-remains-in-dak-s-language
"If you look at the history of our offense here," McCarthy said. "2020 was really trying to figure out who we were wanting to be. I think the evolution from 2021 to 2022 is really the direction we want to continue to build off of."
This is odd, as they fired all the coaches that contributed to that evolution , and now he is going to build off that with totally different coaching and play calling?

In 2022, the efficiency ratings took a step forward while the yards per game numbers took a minor hit. The Cowboys finished first in red zone efficiency (71.4%) and fifth in third down conversion percentage (45.5%) after finishing outside the top five in both categories the year before. While the team finished 11th in total yards per contest (354.9).
again they fired all the coaches that contributed to that.
I doubt mike can improve on red zone efficiency (71.4%) and fifth in third down conversion percentage (45.5%)
it is possible but unlikely.

I think the real test, is can he and his new coaches improve in playoffs, and the few good teams they will face in season.
the other thing is mike hasnt called plays in at least 4 years, and he is still using kellens playbook and offense, which he is just tweaking.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I've never understood why Payton gets so much love. He's not blatantly bad by any means, but everybody sees him as a top coach in the league. I guess we'll find out where he stands this year.
yeah curious to see how he does in denver.
fans forget his whole time in NO, he had brees , and only went to one SB, and had to cheat to get there.
As soon as brees retired, so did payton.

I do like that he signed dinucci? and he usually can craft a good offense, and that is what denver needs, they have had a good defense.
He has to create a offense wilson can do better in. They payed wilson so much he has to use wilson.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
It's fun to speculate on which coach is better, but I think the bottom line is coaches help win games, but players win championships.

It makes me think of things like the '87 afc championship game where ernest byner fumbles because the receiver doesn't run his route to clear out the corner. I always thought Schottenheimer was a great coach, just never had the best team.

Jimmy Johnson never seemed to be as good in miami after leaving the cowboys, who still won with barry switzer.

Mcnabb could only take Andy reid so far, seems like andy's clock management problems got a lot better with mahomes.

Will Bill Belichick ever win without Brady, who won without Bill?

Interested to see where 25 saleh ranks next year if rodgers has a successful year.
I think Reid got the most he could out of McNabb before injuries set in. He made Alex Smith decent. He saved Vick’s career. He somehow made Nick Foles look good. He even made Kevin Kolb look like a QB. Reid got roasted by more than a few Media darlings when he drafted Mahomes, but Reid proved his critics wrong. I think Reid could coach Dak into an all-pro team at least once. Didn’t he coach a young, raw Brett Favre? I saw a few Favre interviews and he always spoke highly of him.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Do you lump McCarthy or Payton in with the established Alfa Male HCs that would never put up with Jerry's **** here? You know, the likes of Hoodie, Tomlin, Reid, Harbaugh, or Carroll?
You lump Payton in with that group.
Additionally, do you ever think Payton would not call his own plays, hire an incompetent Nolan or do the whole Gallagher & Austin Powers gig to bring such an embarrassing head coach of the Cowboys perception to an all time low? Uh, no he wouldn't.
So, to this point his claim to fame is having hired Dan Quinn as the DC to rescue the team which many, like myself, question his actual involvement in that hiring.
Well, that and the firing of a young OC who gave him a #2 producing offense.

But, but, but 12-5 regular seasons...

Nobody WITH A CLUE gives a rats *** about regular season banners.

But yeah ultimately,
him and Payton are exactly the same cuz of their w-l records.
GTFOH with that BS.

Not a fan.
Of Jerry or Dak either for that matter, lol.

Cowboy Blue since 74/75 though,
Cowboys!
Interesting Captain, INTERRESTING !!!!

One thing you said an ALPHA Male wouldn't put up with Jerry's S#!t. You know nothing about nothing and I hope you do not have kids that have to listen to you. Jerry is the owner of a Football team,

these ALPHA Males that you refer to are Insubordinate, and I bet you would never get the chance to coach a tidily Winks team. Man you and all that think like you need to get over yourselves. If I own a several billion dollar corporation

as an employee YOU WILL DO WHAT THE HELL I TELL YOU, PERIOD. Talk about delusional !!!!!! Everything else you wrote was incoherent drivel so I will not even address it

75boyz

Reaction score
MM destroyed the packers and got fired , the team got better after he left no team hired him and he sat at home watching games before Jerry hired him .
he brought his defensive assistsnt buddy and others and and failed with a 6-10 season , before Jerry and Stephen appointed staff for him and took him off the team draft discussions. Go back and see how he admitted he is not involved in player selections.
hardly a top tier coach.
Appreciate you're adding a little more reality to the discussion man.
Yet all of this is forgotten and like he didn't inherit a win now roster. And a DC whose job performance has far exceeded anything Mac has yet to do on gameday.
The same could be said for the recently fired OC but yeah this last 2 years 12-5 BS narrative can be manipulated any number of ways. It's just some of us don't leave out that this team's coordinators did the bulk of the coaching the last 2 years resulting in these "impressive" reg. season banners.
Well, at least it will finally become quite obvious what gameday advantage he brings as this supposedly gifted offensive coach to the table cuz it's all his new hand picked staff and HIM calling the plays.
Let's see what cha got McCheese.
You talked it, so now walk it.

Last edited:

basel90

Reaction score
I’m even more certain that if they win ten games or more this year, you won’t call it a “great accomplishment”.
I already did . I feel you will shy away after another disappointing season with MM .

Buzzbait

Reaction score
MM has not proved anything beyond benefiting from coaching favre and rodgers. The decisions and results with dallas have not convinced anyone he is a top 5 or 10 coach. Not to mention his hiring blunders with his assistants and the fact the team thinks the DC is the real coach. Now he is calling the plays and coaching for his job after getting Kellen fired.
Kellen (Jason Garrett Jr.) got himself fired, he didn't need any help. And I'm gonna let MM show us what he can do, not his haters. If he doesn't make the grade oh well. But it's going to be up to him, not you.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
How many SB’s did Rodgers win after McCarthy? Does back to back 12-5 seasons mean anything? How about similar numbers to genius Payton? Also, how do you know the team thinks DQ is the real HC? Sounds like you just don’t like him, and are grasping at straws.

Of course, McCarthy IS fat….
If I counted correctly, 25 teams would like to have traded their 2022 W-L record for the Cowboys' 12-5 record. :thumbup: