Heard an interesting take on The Break

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
You don’t think the agent’s talk amongst themselves? You don’t think they set the contract parameters between them? They won’t even let the Jones talk to the players 1 on 1. The point is, it’s a 2 way street but haters like yourself can’t comprehend that obviously.
All GMs operate under these conditions. Yet few others hold an idiotic presser like our two goofballs did. This is nonsense. Yes agents (like any party in a negotiation) will try to maximize their leverage on the clubs. What's the news here?

If JJ and SJ sign their deer in the headlights QB it will be painful for them either way. Dak ripped off their nuts one time, he will do it again (and I'm not blaming him for it)

But if they still had anything like balls, they'd just give him the finger and move on. No matter what the price tag is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
All GMs operate under these conditions. Yet few others hold an idiotic presser like our two goofballs did. This is nonsense. Yes agents (like any party in a negotiation) will try to maximize their leverage on the clubs. What's the news here?

If JJ and SJ sign their deer in the headlights QB it will be painful for them either way. Dak ripped off their nuts one time, he will do it again (and I'm not blaming him for it)

But if they still had anything like balls, they'd just give him the finger and move on. No matter what the price tag is.
:lmao2:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I believe it’s just Jerry and Stephen being crybabies and wanting to point the finger at anyone but themselves.

Every front office in the league operates under the same conditions.

I don’t want to hear any of Jerry and Stephen’s excuses. If it’s so tough they could…… oh I don’t know…… HIRE A GM TO RUN THE TEAM.
Did you know that France left CAA for Athletes First in August 2020? Doesnt this give some context and possible contributory explanation as to why Dak didnt sign earlier (which is a frequently made accusation on here)?

That isnt a mitigating circumstance, as it would still fall on Jerry/Stephen to be aware of France potentially changing employer and pre-empt it......but it does give an invaluable insight into aspects, we as fans dont take into account.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In any contract negotiation, eventually, the going gets tough and both parties have to put their angst aside to bargain in good faith. It's a very stressful situation that demands the best of both parties to make positive results a possibility. As things progress, if both sides really want to bargain in good faith, they will find a way to make it happen. Hopefully, that's what's in store in the end.

After all is said and done, the futures of both the players and the team are at stake. Cooler heads must prevail before it's too late. More often than not, that's what eventually happens. Let's just hope for the best and wish both sides good fortune in their efforts to find a common ground to agree.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
In any contract negotiation, eventually, the going gets tough and both parties have to put their angst aside to bargain in good faith. It's a very stressful situation that demands the best of both parties to make positive results a possibility. As things progress, if both sides really want to bargain in good faith, they will find a way to make it happen. Hopefully, that's what's in store in the end.

After all is said and done, the futures of both the players and the team are at stake. Cooler heads must prevail before it's too late. More often than not, that's what eventually happens. Let's just hope for the best and wish both sides good fortune.
But that's the very thing Broaddus is saying DIDNT HAPPEN. There was no 'good faith'. Reading between the lines (as we all suspected) Jerry was played and it was France that prevaricated, due to him changing agencies. There's the view point that the agent should be looking out for his client (which he did), but he probably came out of it nicely as I assume his commission on the deal whilst at Athletes First is better than at CAA)...... but that's not 'good faith', especially as France wiped the board (with limited 3 years, NTC and No FT provision).

Since hearing that on 'The Break' i'm less convinced that they'll get a deal done. There's obviously bad feeling left over from 2020/21, so it'll have to be Dak that makes the first move to approach with a 'team friendlier' approach.....if Jerry capitulates again I think there'll be calls for medical reports on grounds of competency.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

With this news and Broaddus' take on it, Jerry actually backed himself into a corner (as he was 2021). But this time, he CANT capitulate on the negotiation (if there are any) and he'll look extremely weak (something that'll get compounded by Micah and CeeDee's agents).

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
But that's the very thing Broaddus is saying DIDNT HAPPEN. There was no 'good faith'. Reading between the lines (as we all suspected) Jerry was played and it was France that prevaricated, due to him changing agencies. There's the view point that the agent should be looking out for his client (which he did), but he probably came out of it nicely as I assume his commission on the deal whilst at Athletes First is better than at CAA)...... but that's not 'good faith', especially as France wiped the board (with limited 3 years, NTC and No FT provision).

Since hearing that on 'The Break' i'm less convinced that they'll get a deal done. There's obviously bad feeling left over from 2020/21, so it'll have to be Dak that makes the first move to approach with a 'team friendlier' approach.....if Jerry capitulates again I think there'll be calls for medical reports on grounds of competency.
I've been fortunate enough to witness far more than a few negotiations and they always get extremely tough and testy before settlements occur. Jerry and Stephen sorely need to learn to negotiate with cooler heads if they're to succeed in the long run. I doubt they've managed to do so in the past but it takes both sides to make the best of things.

Hopefully, when push comes to shove, they'll get smart and cooler heads might prevail. The future of both sides depend upon their success. Smart people know better than to lose their cool in those circumstances. Let's hope they cool off. If not, they'll only have themselves to blame. We'll see.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to witness far more than a few negotiations and they always get extremely tough and testy before settlements occur. Jerry and Stephen sorely need to learn to negotiate with cooler heads if they're to succeed in the long run. I doubt they've managed to do so in the past but it takes both sides to make the best of things. Hopefully, when push comes to shove, they'll get smart and cooler heads might prevail. The future of both sides depend upon their success. Smart people know better than to lose their cool in those circumstances. Let's hope they cool off.
Totally agree. I was a legal advocate and the initial pre-trial sparing was always bombastic, until we got that out of the way and started looking for solutions. In your experience, as you can probably see, it's always know your opponent and that 2021 only happens because the starting positions were so weighted in Dak's favor and atm France probably has no respect for Jerry and his playing on Jerry capitulating.

From the Braoddus' comment, in 2020 Jerry would of had to of shown his hand and this weakness allowed France to prevaricate.

If Jerry does anything, he needs to stop placating France/Dak (which appears the present position).....now's the time for playing hard ball, I assume we've spoken about a trade, now's the time to drop the 'seriously considering a Post-June Cut', which I bet France wont see as a viable alternative.....get into Dak's head that he could be losing $29m (which he wont recover in a one year deal for 2024).

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
With this news and Broaddus' take on it, Jerry actually backed himself into a corner (as he was 2021). But this time, he CANT capitulate on the negotiation (if there are any) and he'll look extremely weak (something that'll get compounded by Micah and CeeDee's agents).
To be honest I think ever since the Zeke and Dak negotiations a couple of years ago everybody knows these guys are "weak". And they have absolutely no fall back scenarios either. The NTC aside, they never really thought about what if it doesn't work out with Dak. Lance definitely couldn't have been their whole back up plan.

Either way, by now I also think they will extend Dak simply because they don't have any alternatives. In their minds staying relevant with enough regular season wins is all that matters. And since worse QBs than Dak have won Superbowls it's basically their hail Mary every year.

As fans we're ****ed either way.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
To be honest I think ever since the Zeke and Dak negotiations a couple of years ago everybody knows these guys are "weak". And they have absolutely no fall back scenarios either. The NTC aside, they never really thought about what if it doesn't work out with Dak. Lance definitely couldn't have been their whole back up plan.

Either way, by now I also think they will extend Dak simply because they don't have any alternatives. In their minds staying relevant with enough regular season wins is all that matters. And since worse QBs than Dak have won Superbowls it's basically their hail Mary every year.

As fans we're ****ed either way.
Whilst I agree that Jones had no back-up strategy behind Dak, but I think that's because they never saw GB happening. They lived in blissful ignorance that there the two defeats to SF in the play-offs were as a result of them being the outlier team in the NFC and (as Dak Fans like to remind us.....they weren't Dak's fault!!!!).

The very way they kept restructuring Dak indicates they were always expecting to extend Dak, but now they've woken up to the reality that: a) France is still paying hardball (and not giving Jerry an olive branch for him giving the 2021 contract), b) Dak isnt progressing to be the veteran leader when the team struggles c) we need too many players/weapons to compliment/support Dak.

Jerry may not have alternatives at QB, but he can change strategy and build through the two lines first (and then fit in the QB, ala Dak in 2016).

chicago JK

Reaction score
Braking news: guy born with silver spoon in his mouth upset he is not getting his way.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both Broaddus and Patrik “No C” who stated after watching the presser, that Stephen is frustrated with the agents. Blame them for talking between each other to set contracts. It takes both sides to come to an agreement and the agent’s are colluding. Apparently there’s nothing wrong with that but it may explain why they haven’t gotten a deal done with Dak or Cee Dee. But recently they did reach an early deal with Diggs. So I believe this take has a lot of merit.
Have no fear the NFL Tooth Fairy will save the day for Dak.
Please man I know you guys are desperate but Daktrash is history!!!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
So what? Agents are supposed to work together with the player and they are more than allowed to talk with other agents and use that as leverage. No different than teams use players contracts or other players behind them as leverage to those players agents.

Jerry and Stephen need to put on their big boy pants and get it done or have the balls to move on if they don’t like the numbers. They’ve been handed their *** in almost every big negotiation the last few years. Stop whining.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I could see this being true however if it is it only shows how poor the Cowboys front office truly is. Agents talking with each other shouldn’t be a major surprise in 2024 and Cowboys have to operate around that. The price is the price for these guys and it’s not rocket science how to figure those numbers out. If they expect players to take discounts then make them an offer and if they don’t accept trade them.

At some point Jerry/stephen are going to have to make a proactive move one way or the other or else these agents are going to continue to take them for every dime they can.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Both Broaddus and Patrik “No C” who stated after watching the presser, that Stephen is frustrated with the agents. Blame them for talking between each other to set contracts. It takes both sides to come to an agreement and the agent’s are colluding. Apparently there’s nothing wrong with that but it may explain why they haven’t gotten a deal done with Dak or Cee Dee. But recently they did reach an early deal with Diggs. So I believe this take has a lot of merit.
Lol why do you keep ignoring that this isnt something that just happens to the Cowboys? You dont think that agents representing players for other teams do this?